Notices

Got The Itch Again....

Old 05-25-2024, 05:40 AM
Registered

Received 1,944 Likes on 768 Posts

Ding, ding, ding, ding!

Originally Posted by rak rua
I’ll take a guess….a horn.
I had one just like it on a Sea Ray Pachanga many years ago.

RR
The following users liked this post:
rak rua (05-25-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 12:03 AM
Registered

Received 401 Likes on 225 Posts

Hey Gary,
Great update, Real curious on what differences the 20" mids made. The more I run my boat, the more I think I need to do the same.... I was surprised to read you still have the VRO pumps. I would have thought you would have deleted those out. I remember those being a weak point on OMC's design/strategy. Regardless, the rigs looks awesome.. I plan on being back in August, monday to monday, the 19th to the 26th. Gonna tow back and boat all week. Probably will have to do one day at the point for the kids. If your up, I we gotta meet up. The wife and kids to like Walleye's! That would be a perfect spot to meet up brotha!
Twin O/B Sonic (05-27-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 07:30 PM
Registered

You’re on.

Im struggling w/a time, place, help to test to know anything on the 20” motors yet.

It ran great w/the 25’s but I think it can/will run better w/the 20’s.

The set up for the hull changes so drastically by speed, that a small reservoir is PIA.

Had a dock reserved at Kelley’s for this weekend but the starboard motor fought me until mid day Friday when my wife surprised me w/ a reservation at our favorite water front cottage and we pulled the plug on the boat and left it home.

On the VRO’s, I am a big advocate.

For our 9 yrs in Fla, I bought every blown up 200 HP and up, OMC looper I could find in Fla to rebuild and sell.

ZERO of them died from a faulty VRO.

”Experts” blamed the VRO and were wrong.

IMO, if owners/dealers did better preventative maint of our 2 stroke OB’s, there would be no 4 stroke OB’s, except for the EPA.

I turned the stock 225 7400+ on my 100+ mph STV every time out, w/the VRO in operation, w/zero issues.

I am collecting parts for a hot rod, OMC V-8 that will make 400+ HP @ 7K+ and I will run two VRO’s on it.

The oil tanks in my Convincor are 3 Gls so they only need filled every 5 or 6 tanks of fuel.

I also built elec fuel primers so you push a button at the helm instead squeezing a bulb under the back seat to prime the motors.

As close to zero drama as I can get w/carb’d 2 strokes.

Ive blown up plenty of OMC loopers, zero from faulty oil injection pumps.

BTW, this is the look you get after spending half a day trouble shooting and finally solving the problem!

Originally Posted by J-Bonz
Hey Gary,
Great update, Real curious on what differences the 20" mids made. The more I run my boat, the more I think I need to do the same.... I was surprised toread you still have the VRO pumps. I would have thought you would have deleted those out. I remember those being a weak point on OMC's design/strategy. Regardless, the rigs looks awesome.. I plan on being back in August, monday to monday, the 19th to the 26th. Gonna tow back and boat all week. Probably will have to do one day at the point for the kids. If your up, I we gotta meet up. The wife and kids to like Walleye's! That would be a perfect spot to meet up brotha!

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 05-27-2024 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-27-2024, 09:40 PM
Registered

Received 401 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
You’re on.

Im struggling w/a time, place, help to test to know anything on the 20” motors yet.

It ran great w/the 25’s but I think it can/will run better w/the 20’s.

The set up for the hull changes so drastically by speed, that a small reservoir is PIA.

Had a dock reserved at Kelley’s for this weekend but the starboard motor fought me until mid day Friday when my wife surprised me w/ a reservation at our favorite water front cottage and we pulled the plug on the boat and left it home.

On the VRO’s, I am a big advocate.

For our 9 yrs in Fla, I bought every blown up 200 HP and up, OMC looper I could find in Fla to rebuild and sell.

ZERO of them died from a faulty VRO.

”Experts” blamed the VRO and were wrong.

IMO, if owners/dealers did better preventative maint of our 2 stroke OB’s, there would be no 4 stroke OB’s, except for the EPA.

I turned the stock 225 7400+ on my 100+ mph STV every time out, w/the VRO in operation, w/zero issues.

I am collecting parts for a hot rod, OMC V-8 that will make 400+ HP @ 7K+ and I will run two VRO’s on it.

The oil tanks in my Convincor are 3 Gls so they only need filled every 5 or 6 tanks of fuel.

I also built elec fuel primers so you push a button at the helm instead squeezing a bulb under the back seat to prime the motors.

As close to zero drama as I can get w/carb’d 2 strokes.

Ive blown up plenty of OMC loopers, zero from faulty oil injection pumps.

BTW, this is the look you get after spending half a day trouble shooting and finally solving the problem!

Duuuude! You definitely have that figured out, I agree maintenance is key but that goes without saying with boats. I dig the older OMC’s, I think your spot on, I looked back in my pms, I got you cell, I will reach out as we get closer!
Twin O/B Sonic (05-28-2024)
Old 07-22-2024, 04:05 PM
Registered

Shows the priorities of my projects.

Brushing my teeth before bed and coffee in the morning!

Both of which require onboard water.

The bonus is it adds almost 150 lbs ballast to the bow where I need it.

Found a really cool water bladder that fit my anchor locker once I widened the doors.

Thought it conformed to the compartment well enough that it would stay put.

Not!

One trip it rolled over during our run home in the Lake Erie chop and broke off the supply line fitting.

Dumping 15 gls of water into the anchor locker!

We didn’t realize that until it leaked under the locker bulkhead and drenched all our bed clothes at 3 A.M.!

Last time it rolled over and kinked the supply line when I tried to make coffe the next morning.

So one more of my simple projects turns to this!

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 07-22-2024 at 04:19 PM.
rak rua (07-22-2024)
Old 07-22-2024, 04:26 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,089 Likes on 618 Posts

Shows the priorities of my projects.

Brushing my teeth before bed and coffee in the morning!

Both of which require onboard water.

The bonus is it adds almost 150 lbs ballast to the bow where I need it.

Found a really cool water bladder that fit my anchor locker once I widened the doors.

Thought it conformed to the compartment well enough that it would stay put.

Not!

One trip it rolled over during our run home in the Lake Erie chop and broke off the supply line fitting.

Dumping 15 gls of water into the anchor locker!

We didn’t realize that until it leaked under the locker bulkhead and drenched all our bed clothes at 3 A.M.!

Last time it rolled over and kinked the supply line when I tried to make coffe the next morning.

So one more of my simple projects turns to this!

Gary,

Probably gonna have to capture it a bit better (higher walls on your platform) or brush your teeth with bottled water and ditch that nasty azz coffee.

Thanks. Brad.
Twin O/B Sonic (07-23-2024)
Old 07-23-2024, 05:29 AM
Registered

Not!

Bet you a beer?

Notice the bungee cords?

I built the base w/a mirror fit to the bottom of the bladder and am gambling that w/the bladder full, it will be a snug enough fit to hold it in place.

Not secure enough to race but hoping it will work in my case.

We keep it full too as it is also ballast for tongue weight.

Hopefully, you’ll owe me a beer 😎

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
Gary,

Probably gonna have to capture it a bit better (higher walls on your platform) or brush your teeth with bottled water and ditch that nasty azz coffee.

Thanks. Brad.
rak rua (07-23-2024)
Old 07-27-2024, 08:17 PM
Registered

While still struggling/learning w/setup on my science project, I have been looking at tabs since day one.

W/my motor bracket and set up, I am very limited w/transom mounting space for them.

Most will not work/fit.

What I am currently using is a combo of 3 sets of Bennet tabs (one set from a member here) cross bred and combined to get close.

They work great at all but very low speeds like in big chop in Lake Erie, my home lake.

Over the winter I bought stainless plate to fab into 4” plate extensions.
Problem was, it was too thick to bend in my redneck shop.

So w/my last gallon of resin, at the end of its shelf life, and a bunch of scrap 1708 cloth, I came up w/this yesterday.

Doubt they’ll have the power to work at speed but at that point they’re up n out.

Pics are deceiving as orig tabs extend, under my ext’s 1/2 the distance fore to aft.

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 07-27-2024 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-27-2024, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 228 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Very Nice

While still struggling/learning w/setup on my science project, I have been looking at tabs since day one.

W/my motor bracket and set up, I am very limited w/transom mounting space for them.

Most will not work/fit.

What I am currently using is a combo of 3 sets of Bennet tabs (one set from a member here) cross bred and combined to get close.

They work great at all but very low speeds like in big chop in Lake Erie, my home lake.

Over the winter I bought stainless plate to fab into 4” plate extensions.
Problem was, it was too thick to bend in my redneck shop.

So w/my last gallon of resin, at the end of its shelf life, and a bunch of scrap 1708 cloth, I came up w/this yesterday.

Doubt they’ll have the power to work at speed but at that point they’re up n out.

Pics are deceiving as orig tabs extend, under my ext’s 1/2 the distance fore to aft.

Looks very nice Bro. You run in Lake Erie. We raced up there years ago. Us east coast badasses thought it’s just a Lake with a bit of chop. Man were we wrong. Short swells sank more than a few race boats over the years. Much Respect!
Twin O/B Sonic (07-28-2024)
Old 07-28-2024, 05:23 AM
Registered

Thx and yeah, had my ass beat by that lake, multiple times!

My parents had a cruiser on that lake when I was a kid back in the ‘70’s and the big boys came to town!

PB mag did a story of race coverage and called it the race on the “stormy mud puddle”!

Hundreds of ships on her bottom.

Originally Posted by HuskerPerformance
You run in Lake Erie. We raced up there years ago. Us east coast badasses thought it’s just a Lake with a bit of chop. Man were we wrong. Short swells sank more than a few race boats over the years. Much Respect!