Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What HDTV antenna do you use on your boat? >

What HDTV antenna do you use on your boat?

Notices

What HDTV antenna do you use on your boat?

Old 03-05-2018, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What HDTV antenna do you use on your boat?

What antennas are people using and what is the best for a below deck HDTV mounted unit with the max range?
I see a Glomex 14" unit that I can mount below the deck in the nose of my 419. How does this brand perform?
Tell me what you use and know.
TIA
Old 03-10-2018, 03:35 PM
Registered

No replies ??????

Does that mean everyone uses satellite and NO HD air TV?
Sometimes we want the free local stuff and I want to get the best 360° antenna that people find to work with their boats.
So far the Glomex Nashira AGC seems the best I find. Any experience here with it? Is it a good one? Is there something better than this one I should consider?
TIA
Old 03-10-2018, 04:02 PM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

I’ve used a couple different ones. None are as good as they say. Just get a cheapo from Amazon.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:51 PM
Registered

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a 500 express. Bought it used and it has a round one on the radar arch. Dont know the brand but it gets local channels and the ION channel which has some cool shows. BUT. I also have a ROKU tv and direvtv now, which is a streaming service from direct tv. Have unlimited data on my phone and hotspot it to the tv on the boat. Its 35.00 a month. Liked it so much I ditched my home cable service. So for 35 a month I get better than cable tv and can also use it on my boat.

Chris
Old 03-10-2018, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 476 Likes on 371 Posts

When it comes to digital TV, IMO you don't need a wiz bang "digital" antenna. If your within line of sight of the TV antenna (max about 60 miles) you can pick it up with 40 year old rabbit ears. The issue is if your in a hole, the antenna is behind a hill, buildings or other things, then there is no signal
Old 03-19-2018, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Europe, the TELEVES brand works very well
Old 03-19-2018, 08:58 PM
Registered

I got inside the boat today to find out if I had room for a 14" diameter antenna up in the front of the nose. Well I do but there is an anchor locker built in the nose with a drain but no access door from the deck. Since I'm not using this locker I guess it will be home for the TV antenna disk. Seems this Glomex 360° will fit under the deck fine. Running a cable back to the TV will be the next challenge. It supports FM too so it should be a great antenna for the radio to pull some more stations.

Streaming from a hotspot may be an option at times too. Most of the movies are for the kids but we download movies to play on the boat too. Getting local HD is a help in other towns when we leave the home area.

I have not seen this TELEVES brand in my searches so far. May not be in the US market?
Old 03-20-2018, 01:05 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recall doing the Glomax on both my Formula and the Sunseeker when I redid them. Here's a pic of the Sunseeker......it has an arch. On the formula, it is located in an access area above the fridge.......

I recall doing the Glomax on both my Formula and the Sunseeker when I redid them. Here's a pic of the Sunseeker......it has an arch.

Last edited by Level III Chaos; 03-20-2018 at 01:07 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:30 AM
Registered

Cool your antenna is under the deck on the Formula. That is what I was planning for our 419 so it sounds like it should work well mounted like that. I found a blow boat that had the antenna mounted below the deck and it worked well. I thought the nose would get out more in the open compared with the TV or fridge location when under the roof. Looking forward to testing it out. Got it in today so time to get it mounted. Thanks for the replies all.