Notices

Slightly Damaged

Old 03-18-2018, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 938 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
Anyone remember the guy that was re-doing the Top Gun that burned and part of the port side gunnel at the cockpit burned about half way down from about the engine bulkhead to the bolster area? Or maybe it was in the engine bay....Either way, guy was super into the project and was posting it on here and then I think he gave up because everyone...And I mean EVERYONE said it couldn't be done safely and the boats integrity would never be the same because the heat changes the fiberglass etc. I can't find the thread to save my life. It was in the early 2000's I want to say. Reminds me of this project.
Also consider the values of the straight bottom guns were dropping significantly every year so even when finished the value was going to be even lower because you could buy a non toaster TG for a lot less than when the project started.

Even the all white twin step boat OSO Steve had a hole punched in was cursed by lower resale even after it was repaired by Cigarette!
Old 03-18-2018, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua
Incredible but insane.
I'll bet this guy's not married.

It's his business

Old 03-18-2018, 12:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Like others have said, why put all that time, effort and money into a complete rebuild when you could have a complete hull for cheaper. But then I think about Heath and Endeavor32's restoration of the 38 Scarab. They will never get out of it what they put into it if they sell, but the Scarab (to us at least) are worth way more than some unknown33' fishing hull. Other thing I noticed was how few stringers were in that boat. If you look at Heath's boat you see how extensive the stringer grid is.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Also consider the values of the straight bottom guns were dropping significantly every year so even when finished the value was going to be even lower because you could buy a non toaster TG for a lot less than when the project started.

Even the all white twin step boat OSO Steve had a hole punched in was cursed by lower resale even after it was repaired by Cigarette!
im almost wondering if maybe the dude figured that out, stopped posting, completed the work, ran it for a while and pu it on the market no one the wiser with out taking the hit of the “history” . Weirder things have happened, just sayin.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

I think you guys are missing the point. Of course it doesn't make sense to resurrect this boat. But, the feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction of a project like this can be so much more rewarding than any amount of money or time invested. It could even be called therapeutic to some.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:13 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like this guy to help my son with some of his school "projects". JFC!!!
Old 03-20-2018, 09:33 PM
Registered

Received 299 Likes on 161 Posts

If everyone in this world had 1/2 the fortitude of this guy the world would be a better place. Who gives a sh!t why he did it?
Old 03-21-2018, 07:00 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone curious about the backstory on the hull? Perhaps it was one of the known stolen boats that was burned. Looks like the fire took out all identifiers. Does anyone have an idea what make/model the hull is?
Old 03-21-2018, 07:00 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 873 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuckonstupid
If everyone in this world had 1/2 the fortitude of this guy the world would be a better place. Who gives a sh!t why he did it?
Agree, I love it.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:12 AM
Registered

Received 1,389 Likes on 776 Posts

I understand the fortitude comments but wouldn't it have been easier to build a mold and make a new one? You could make more then one then, or start with something not as bad.

Fortitude is great but just wasting your effort is another.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.