Going to Sport Catamaran Heaven

Notices

Going to Sport Catamaran Heaven

Old 06-19-2018, 10:35 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 3,012 Likes on 1,365 Posts
Default Going to Sport Catamaran Heaven

Coming in August, a round-up of Mercury Racing Verado 400R outboard engine-powered catamarans will present the perfect counterpoint to the bigger beauties at Super Cat Fest, https://www.offshoreonly.com/article...tamaran-heaven.

From the OSO home page.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hay matt nobody commenting so i will just say hi how are you
Old 06-19-2018, 12:04 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Originally Posted by JIMKID Motorsports
Hay matt nobody commenting so i will just say hi how are you
I'm great, thank you! Excited about this roundup. John Tomlinson suggested it almost two years ago—so it's been in the works awhile.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Looking forward to it Matt, Maybe Performance Boat Center can weigh each boat before the test as that would play an important part in the speed/handling department and validate the test results as opposed to hear say!
Old 06-19-2018, 12:56 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
Looking forward to it Matt, Maybe Performance Boat Center can weigh each boat before the test as that would play an important part in the speed/handling department and validate the test results as opposed to hear say!
Given the time crunch involved at that time of year for Performance Boat Center, that won't happen. We'll rely on the manufacturers to supply dry weights for their entries. Most, at least to the best of my knowledge, have been pretty good about that during the years.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm really looking forward to this. Great idea!! I hope each manufacturer uses completely stock motors including no Rev limiter alterations or ECU flashes. That will be the only way this is a true comparison.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ktron
I'm really looking forward to this. Great idea!! I hope each manufacturer uses completely stock motors including no Rev limiter alterations or ECU flashes. That will be the only way this is a true comparison.
We can only hope LOL! Myself would be more interested in what those guys have to say running those boats in some slop and could care less about the top end number.
Better check those sponsons for ballast!
Old 06-19-2018, 04:06 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Originally Posted by ktron
Given that everyone involved on the test team is familiar with the operating range of Verado 400R engines—and that there should be a Mercury Racing presence on site—I'm not concerned about any builder trying to gain an advantage through ECM modification. Double Rigged's post does bring up an interesting point: Lake of the Ozarks conditions on test day could well limit top speeds, so of course will report top speeds within the context of those conditions. (We'll also start the top-speed testing portion of the day as early as possible. That should help.)

While Powerboat magazine's testing program was far from perfect, the four of us who were extensively involved in it (Teague, Tomlinson, Johnson and me) learned a lot from it. We'll try to bring the very best of it to this roundup.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 06-19-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Matt.
In your article on the sport cat roundup you also mention super catfest and the badest catamarans on the planet. Question; is there not cats manufactured in other countries? No cats made in European or Asia or who knows elsewhere?
if there are they should get their catsss over here and be part of this.
Great idea and great article. Stew
Old 06-19-2018, 05:23 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Originally Posted by StewLow
Hey Matt.
In your article on the sport cat roundup you also mention super catfest and the badest catamarans on the planet. Question; is there not cats manufactured in other countries? No cats made in European or Asia or who knows elsewhere?
if there are they should get their catsss over here and be part of this.
Great idea and great article. Stew

Great question. While I know there are other cats manufactured in other countries, I don't know a lot (as in almost nothing) about them. Here's one example, https://speedonthewater.com/new-boat...-catamaran-1-1.

While I believe it to be true and have seen nothing to prove otherwise, it's probably a tad arrogant to say that the "baddest catamarans on the planet" are made in the United States, but there you go. I suppose it's a bit like calling the World Series the World Series when only U.S. Major League Baseball teams are even allowed to compete in it. But there you go as well.

I'm covering a pair of poker runs in Sweden in August. That should be an eye-opener.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.