need advice on cheap tools >

need advice on cheap tools

Notices

need advice on cheap tools

Old 10-25-2002, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by JUST ONCE
"air tools" only way to go . two letters IR; ingersoll rand make best $200.00 for the last half inch impact your ever buy. chit even the new 3/8 inch IR impact has 625ft/lbs of torque in reverse. "never buy cheap tools, they will break at the absolute worst time possible."
used is a good idea if you want top save money though.
100% right. All my air tools are IR, 1/4, 2 3/8 drives, 1/2 drive, air saw, angle grinders, everything. Never had a problem with any of them and some are going on 15 years.
Old 10-25-2002, 04:06 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Zanie
Cheap?
You want cheap?
How about $150 for 251 piece CRAFTSMAN tool kit this weekend at Sears.
You'd pay that for just the 1/4" 3/8" and 1/2" ratchets from Snap-On.

Buy American!!!!
My set was originally all Craftsman, although the first Snap-on tools added to the set were ratchets. If you haven't tried a Snap-on ratchet you need to, they are much smoother than the Craftsman and also have a better feel to them. Best investment I ever made to my cheap set.
Old 10-25-2002, 06:33 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No doubt if you're just using tools at home Craftsman is the way to go. But if you're working every day with them, Snap On, Mac is the only way. Lifetime warranty is great, but the better tools don't break in the first place unless misused. I've broken several Chraftsman 3/8 drive sockets while using only a 3/8 ratchet. That just doesn't happen with Snap On. And on the battery impacts we have 2 Snap Ons and 1 Craftsman in the shop and the Snap on's out perform the Craftsman and the Snap On's are only 14.4 volts.
Old 10-28-2002, 07:35 AM
Registered

I thought this post was about cheap tools?
My point was that if you watch the sales you can buy quality Craftsman tools for the price of imported crap.

BTW, I was talking about the new Craftsman Pro Battery powered impact.
18 volts and all the power of the Snap-on.
Old 10-28-2002, 08:07 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a cheap impact at Farm Fleet about 10 years ago use it often never let me down yet!!!cost me like $25 if your building apole barn I have a bunch of 3/4 Black pipe that came out of one of the buildings I used to work at you could hard line it !!!let me know I'll trade you for a case of beer!!!
Old 10-28-2002, 08:11 AM
Registered

i do have an old off name 3/8 impact. small body and pretty strong but stupid things like the sprign retainer that holds the socket always pops off cause the ridge isn't deep enough, you guys know how much of a pain in the a$$ it is when your sockets keep falling off. "one set of tools in the box one in the bilge"
Old 10-28-2002, 09:25 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheap tools are not the way to go.
The first time a wrench or socket breaks and you bust your knuckles open you'll understand.
Impact and air powered ratchets are good if you do repeated disassemby work or change tires on a daily basis. If you only need it to remove lug nuts it's a waist of money in my opinion. All you need in that case is a good four way lug wrench. It may not be as easy or cool looking/sounding, but it works.
I'll bet I can jack up two axles and pull two tires off with a lug wrench before you have a home shop compressor up to full pressure.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:29 AM
Registered

dyno. yes i am interested in the air pipe!!!!!Definitely

bud light, michelob? you name it.
how long are the lengths, i have a 10' sled trailer, and a 24' car hauler trailer.

I should have bought a twin cylinder, 110V 30 gallon compressor at an auction 3 weeks ago. said $100 max to myself, it went for $120. it was really quiet!!

I'll probably break down and get a Campell Hausfeld 60 gallon upright 220 like my buddies.

i looked at the Devilbiss air tool package at Sams per suggestion..
for $69 i am tempted. 250 ft/lbs at 90psi 1/2in impact and 24 ft-lbs ratchet with 65 other pieces . The kit comes with all the junk that will nickel and dime me in the end. so it seems worth the risk. I dont' use them everyday. and will take car of them with water separator and oiler. if i procrastinate any longer, i can put them on my christmas list.

I know......Iggy, for $69 and some beer with Dyno, how many times will you change my boat trailer tires. i have a triple axle

I need them for other things too. our towlight assembly, and my other cars, snowmobile, etc..just never had the barn to work on my stuff and finally do. kinda like buying your first house, it's bare empty and every time you go to Lowes, you need to bring the pickup just to get home with the stuff you (need, and jsut bought)

Last edited by Rambunctious; 10-28-2002 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-28-2002, 11:32 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many times in season do you change tires?
You must do a lot of long distance towing to wear out tires quickly.
Unless you've been talking about a commercial hauling trailer. Now those need an impact gun to bust'em loose.

Except for working in a service station, I never owned air tools. I've always done it by hand.
Removing bolts, nuts, etc.
Old 10-28-2002, 01:33 PM
Registered

Tire tread is fine, but this year, since i now have a dry place to do so. repacked all 6 bearing sets, checked pad wear and adjusted two axles of brakes, (after brake line blew out) and had 4 tires repaired or tubes inserted because of slow leakdown.

all on different occasions

just tired of jumping on the 1/2 "craftsman" socket wrench.
just don't have the funds to buy all the good stuff NOW along with the above mentioned equipment, oh.. and insulation and steel liner for the building.
I still feel decent?/cheap airtools, if taken care of, will be better than none. and if they break, get the sockets out....

so...I'm narrowing my search.....Chicago Pneumatics....or Devilbiss

Quick Reply: need advice on cheap tools

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.