496 Mag Ho Starter - Dead?  No Click. >

496 Mag Ho Starter - Dead? No Click.

Notices

496 Mag Ho Starter - Dead? No Click.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 867 Likes on 325 Posts
Default 496 Mag Ho Starter - Dead? No Click.

Decided to take the boat out today. Turn the key on port engine and nothing, no click, just dead. The fuel pump comes on but the starter, solenoid doesnt even click.

Going over now to look at the slave solenoid. The starter only has 170 hours on it. However the slave is original 2004...

Any ideas guys?
Old 07-21-2018, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 375 Posts

Slave would be my first guess, or kill switch (if there is one)
Jump across the top terminals
Old 07-21-2018, 10:34 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Possible 90 amp fuse at the starter. DEPENDING on how its WIRED I have no idea here and if I recall your fuel set up and fuel pump is not stock either so the wiring is not stock set up either. I know your you not a stock app as why I am saying all this - also corrosion at the starter and or Battery cable to it.

Or a completely bad starter currently. Bad slave solenoid in the mix as well. Hours mean nothing for electrical items.

My best guess if applicable and depending on how all your set up is wired - the 90 amp fuse at the starter would be a good guess here ?
Old 07-21-2018, 11:04 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Put a screwdriver on the slave and it turned over. Going to get one now. Will update. Great day to work on boat, it's like 103 degrees. Sarcasm intended....
Old 07-21-2018, 11:13 AM
BUP
Banned

112 here without heat index factor and I understand it is bad to be working on boats. Thanks for the update
Old 07-21-2018, 11:20 AM
BUP
Banned

Just posting info here for whomever -- with MPI / efi engines watch out about jumping across the slave solenoid and voltage spikes back to the PCM / ECM possible can knock it completely out. One is better off to by pass the slave solenoid - actually it is best to use a volt meter testing the slave solenoid. Very easy test to do with a volt meter.

Again thanks for the posting the issue and problem solved hopefully

Last edited by BUP; 07-21-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Just an FYI. The batteries were a little low so I put them on the charger. The batteries were at 11.62 volts. By the time I got back with a new solenoid, I turned the key and it started. With the batteries on both, the stbd started fine the port wouldnt even click! Changed the solenoid anyway. But this is a lesson in voltage that is even slightly low. If this were a single it would have been less likely to diagnose.