Rough water boats, fountain 38/42 formula 382 apache 41 donzi 38 >

Rough water boats, fountain 38/42 formula 382 apache 41 donzi 38

Notices

Rough water boats, fountain 38/42 formula 382 apache 41 donzi 38

Old 08-13-2018, 06:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough water boats, fountain 38/42 formula 382 apache 41 donzi 38

Check video on this page, scroll to 1:15 and watch to 1:45 and you get an idea of what the conditions tends to be, especially if someone has a poker run, or you wanna go to your cabin in the south
htt ps://www.hamnen.se/artiklar/reportage/fart-fest-och-dramatik-i-smogen-poker-run.html

I know that theese boats are not the same at all, but looking whats available here in europe and what possible solutions, the apache is of course exotic to say the least, would need to be exported without power and CE marked so thats probably the hardest/weirdest.

I go boating off the coast of Norway, from there you can go to sweden, denmark, england etc, so its open water usually weather is rough, so need something that can handle the seas, and still move, but also still be a social boat you can go out in and sleepover, lets face it, you dont do poker runs every day.

Currently for sale in the nordics is a 38 fountain without power 1996, a 42 USCG 1996, 1994 formula 382 fastech and a few others, but theese boats are very rare, and testing them is not very easy. Are theese 90s boat at the point where I have to expect to start restoring the hulls and things to have started to rot? our season is much shorter than the US, and very few boats are on the water more than 2-3 months a year.

I currently have a Scarab 302 1998 with 2x G2 300 e-tecs, its been flawless and just did a 300nautical mile run in pretty rough conditions , but I have owned some older race boats (class 3b 3c offshore racer with ballast tanks) and I know its possible to run smoother and faster.

Ideally I'd want a boat with the handeling of a pure race boat, with multiple cabins and set up to have a social boat.. so gotto find something in between

Open for other options as well, If I go with a 90's or early 00 boat I would do a repower with 540/565 or 662, we are limited to whats available and CE approved, with the 565's looking like best option, our gasolin prices are 4x of the US.

Another way is also just getting an axopar 37 suntop, the bow on that thing just cuts through waves like butter, but.. its not very fast, so hard to make it land rough

Last edited by andersn; 08-13-2018 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:45 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,164 Likes on 497 Posts

Here's a link for the "fart fest". (Sorry, could only understand a little bit of the text and commentary)

https://hamnenplay.solidtango.com/vi...-run?locale=fi

That is nasty water you have there, Apache would certainly be a good choice if it's possible. Get used to the idea that ALL older boats can suffer rot in the transom/stringers and need money spent to get them back into shape.

You didnt mention Cigarette.....? There's always a few 35's and 38's for sale around the Med, especially Italy, if that makes your importing easier.

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 08-13-2018 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:55 AM
Registered

Haha didnt think about it, but without translation it is indeed hilarious

fart = speed
fest = party/festival
dramatik = drama/danger/situations

Translation is speed festival 'ish more people should come to fart fest' they are fun

There are quite a few cigarettes available, but Im not too familiar with their lineup really, I find a lot of them weird/quirky specced, but Im open to them for sure

This year we did the route behind islands blocking the sea... I was VERY happy with that, only a few open section lasting maybe a few hundred meters, I had to throttle way back even 36 cats and large V hulls had issues. One guy with a buster 20 foot alu boat didnt care thought, I swear that thing was airbourne 95% of the time we looked over to it, the 3 passengers had pain in their eyes and driver had an awesome pokerface covering it up. I loved the event, shout out to Christian and the guys for hooking it up, the swedes know how to dayparty.

I can export any boat from the US, by removing the power and selling it before export really, its just not fast/easy/convenient Also boats like this tends to be cheaper here, than the US due to gas prices such. I will be in miami starting next week, so figured I'd try to look at some marinas/dealers/sellers.

Pic from this years non-rough water route, taken by Axel Hagström, cannot post links or pics, so gotto edit it together yourself copy paste and remove the space between h and ttps
h ttps://scontent.fsvg1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/38544474_2199261143623291_724641191349452800_o.jpg

Last edited by andersn; 08-13-2018 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 1,445 Likes on 804 Posts

My friend that has boated those waters said he preferred the Apache. He also said those were some serious waters.

After that from your list the 42 fountain would be my choice, particularly if it was a straight bottom. they do have a pad but still a good size boat and a lot of stagger motor ones. I think the early Fountains were built better then latter ones when he was public and making a ton of them.

All old boats can have wood rot, yesterday we were in a shop with 5 different boats and four brands. At one time all of them had wood rot,,,,,,,,and one of the guys was saying how he always checks when the boats come in and so many have issues its crazy.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

With as rough as that water is and factoring in fuel prices you may want to look closer at 42 sonics, they have a steeper deadrise and you could refit one with some euro spec diesels.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:54 AM
Registered

I owned a powerboat with diesels before, the yanmars would eat heads, turbos, gaskests, cranks and XR drives. I dont think Ill pursue that route on sterndrives again.

Never looked at sonics, dont think Ive ever seen one, will study up on them!

The fountain 42 for sale locally is USCG spec 1998, supposedly newer style hull, on older angeld window tops/deck, it has had the hull and mostly bow area restored due to rot. I havent been able to see it yet though. The entire interior is basicly 4 chairs in cockpit, thats it, but I heard you can buy interior etc?

Last edited by andersn; 08-13-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:38 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,223 Likes on 1,439 Posts

I understood Cigarette and poker run in that video..................Black Thunder....wave crushing machine and a cabin the size of a condo.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:28 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,263 Likes on 551 Posts

If you are regularly going to boat in water like that, you need length and a steeper deadrise. If you really want to stay dedicated to this for say, 10-15 years...
...take the time to find & build a 47' Apache with SSM VI drives. That's going to be the right hull to handle that kind of rough water.

Also, I don't know why, but a majority of Nordic Area Boaters tend to boat with WAY too much trim. There were only a couple of boats in that original video that were trimmed properly for running in that kind of water. Of lot of boat setup comes with experience, which obviously takes time in each hull and current setup to dial-in correctly for current conditions.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just watched the fart fest, dramatik video and all I can say is WOW!

Those guys at LOTO talk funny.......

Last edited by Speedracer29; 08-13-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:14 PM
Registered

I bet a lot of thoose girls in vid would attract you to come visit and get some fart fest and dramatik?

Honestly Im not the guy that has a boat for 10-15 years, I think my record is 4 years, if I repower and fix I wanna sell it with some warranty still.

My buddy who also has been my engine pusher/rigger last.. hmm 18? years now called, he said he could get 860s as well, but the pricetag over 540s and 565 is quite massive.

95% of the boating is ideling out to the spot where everybody hangs out, and just beeing social, but.. that last 5% tends to be bumpy, most of the time 3-4-5-6 foot waves with the "wrong" interval will beat hard, so I have to trim way down and go 15-20 knots, Im not the guy beating on the boat until every last screw is out and stuff starts to delaminate, I tend to do a lot of the work on my boats myself, and my buddy does the last bit, and I know the cost of driving like an idiot. one of my boats thrashed new XR drives, within 20 hours of new ownership, and <100 hour from brand new in box, he admitted to never throtteling down from airtime, and thought it shouldnt be needed, eventhough receiving instructions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.