Help me buy a 1999 33 Outlaw..or not >

Help me buy a 1999 33 Outlaw..or not

Notices

Help me buy a 1999 33 Outlaw..or not

Old 08-13-2018, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me buy a 1999 33 Outlaw..or not

Well, I guess this is my first thread posted on this forum after almost exactly a decade of lurking. Getting back into the performance boat world for real, looking at a local 33 Outlaw (and local boats like this in North Texas aren't all that common but real buyers like me are probably more rare). Good seller, stand up guy with lots of resources and has owned boat since new. There are some issues that I noted during my first inspection of the boat this afternoon (trying to write like a marine surveyor would so that I can attach to my offer). I wouldn't have been able to put together such a list without years of study on this forum! Seller is asking $47k, hull and drives are very clean and good maint records with the exception of last tear-down which he states was down to the cranks in 2008, 270 hours ago. This is a heavily optioned 33, came from factory with 12" Stellings extension boxes, external Latham steering, etc. Latest rebuild put displacement to 509 and he added aftermarket carbs, Dominators maybe? Please see my list of observations below, please let me know to run, walk, or come in $10k under to pull engines, repair stringers, cockpit floor, and misc (I know, its going to cost more than that). I don't want to insult this guy but mine will probably be the only offer he gets all year and he doesn't use it. All comments appreciated! Sorry for giant pics, thought might be helpful for close- up analysis.

Cracked starboard stern stringer, stringer felt soft to touch probable rot. Recommend engines pulled and all rot repaired

due to 10+ years since last known tear-down, recommend compression and leak-down check, exhaust risers pulled and inspected for corrosion .

last engine tear down 2007-2008/ 270 hrs/ no documentation, recommend engine fluid analysis

hour meters do not show original hours, were replaced during tear-down in 2008. Estimated hull hours 500-600

cockpit floor soft under foot/flexing all around . Known symptom of 1/4 plywood backing water intrution and rot. Deck panels will need to be pulled and re-glassed with marine plywood.

Stern passenger bench not attached to hinges, will need to be aligned, screwed into place, and screw holes sealed with 5200

drive alignment check, known history of offshore and open ocean high performance use (poker runs in ocean)

loose wiring/ rigging to aftermarket ignition/ needs to be tightened to avoid friction failures

brown stains near engine compartment limber holes/ probable rot

Corrosion on exterior of engines/ fasteners and top of head gaskets

Hydraulic fluid in standing bilge water/ signs of failing port drive pump

power steering reservoir fill cap and top of reservoir marked from repeated use- is there a leak?

Cockpit upholstery discolored/browning

Gaffrig monster speedo needs replacing/ not functional

Old GPS unit mounted on dash cracked and non functional- needs to be removed and mount holes patched. Will require removal of entire dash panel to do right

Power steering pump pulley has some kind of JB weld looking material on bolt hole (could be wrong, only noticed when looking at photo afterwards)

starboard rear trailer tire worn beyond wear blocks, did not inspect port side tires, trailer lights, or braking system. Hitch lock lever appeared to be bent

Last edited by Bark3rd; 08-13-2018 at 10:49 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 08-14-2018, 12:09 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,967 Likes on 988 Posts

It probably needs 10-15k in glass work. Maybe less, maybe more.
I wouldn't even think about making an offer without a full survey, mechanical check and glass work estimate.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:06 AM
Registered

What Griff said. The second you said cracked, soft and stringer in the same post I would be avoiding it and taking the extra 10 to 15 and traveling a little farther to get a better boat.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:22 AM
Registered

Received 267 Likes on 124 Posts

Good looking boat. You're going to spend money one way or another on a performance boat that is approaching 20 years old. If you trust the seller (that he would work with you on price given the boat needs some work) I'd follow Griff's advice and get some professional estimates on the stringer replacement and mechanicals. If the motors are being pulled to repair the stringers that's a great opportunity to throw some more power at em! I'm thinking new valvetrain w/ more aggressive cam and Stelling Dry exhaust, perfect!
Old 08-14-2018, 06:27 AM
Registered

Received 267 Likes on 124 Posts

Here's the new exhaust.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 144 Likes on 96 Posts

Great advice already given. At 20 years old the rigging is getting towards the end of its life to where you start getting nagging little issues like cables need replacing, gauges fail, etc, and the upholstery will start to bug a proud boat owner. It looks like a lot of great hardware and almost any boat of this vintage is going to need a good deal of work to get another 20 years of trouble free fun. This could easily soak up $20k to get it like new again but would also be a cool semi custom boat when finished. If you want a turn key boat keep shopping but if you have the energy and resources this could be really cool when done.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:38 AM
Registered

Do I need to worry about stringers forward of the cabin entrance? How do you inspect under the cabin?

If anyone has links to clean boats you recommend around $50k I'm all ears!! Seems as if I put $55-60k into this thing I might as well look at other boats in that price range. I need big cabin, no Fountains or narrow-beam boats.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,271 Likes on 1,465 Posts

I wouldn't worry about anything, Id walk from this deal, IMO it would need to be pristine @ 47k............go on lake of the Ozarks craigslist, lots of Baja's on there, couple 36's for about the same money
Old 08-14-2018, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 1,004 Likes on 532 Posts

I'd try to buy that 2000 Top Gun in the classifieds before trying to salvage a wet Baja.
https://www.offshoreonly.com/classif...-s-o73049.html

or this:
https://www.offshoreonly.com/classif...un-o73254.html
Old 08-14-2018, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 43 Posts

Run don't walk away. There are good deals to be had for 50K unless you enjoy the process of rebuilding/ rerigging to your liking. Check Powerboat listings, Passion for Power Boats and Powerboat Swap on FB. Boatfreaks is another source. I'm sure some others can give you some other resources not listed. My .02 cents. Best of luck on your hunt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.