Building a home with a garage for a cigarette >

Building a home with a garage for a cigarette

Notices

Building a home with a garage for a cigarette

Old 10-04-2018, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 981 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
how long does it take to get to open water from that? Just curious really, cool house and good idea.
House wasn't on the water but the freshwater ramp was about 1/5 of a mile away for the Lake. Salt water ramp was probably 2 miles east. Most leave the salt ramp and drive right to the fresh water ramp and dunk everything, flush the motors. It really pi$$es off the bass boat guys trying to get off the lake.

My buddy raced formula fords so he wanted a garage he could work in, take a car apart on or off the trailer without much hassle. His thought was the next owner would be a boater or a RV owner that would want the garage. Best part is the way the house was laid out the garage didn't seem to overpower the house. If you pulled in from the front you only noticed the big door but didn't realize it was so long.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Interceptor
Do these oversize garages impact resale of the home ? Got to believe they would only appeal to another boat owner or possibly car collector putting you in a small market segment.
I'd think "aesthetics" plays a huge role in how many people want it. If it is a plain steel building that doesn't match the house it probably won't add much value. If it overpowers the house that could be an issue also. If it is heated/ac'd then more people might be able to utilize it.

I looked at a goofy lot today, 80 wide X 1500 deep. Setbacks make the lot really unique and surrounding area is very mixed (125K dumps next door, 14mm houses 1/3 mile east). Builder is showing a golf area, a tennis court, a huge garage plus a guest house/pool then the main house. Nothing is more than 50-60 ft wide but very long. Price is high for the lot but after you built all that crap he shows you would be in it for 2-2.5mm and it would be very tough to sell to anyone (dry lot, water is across the street).
Old 10-04-2018, 05:26 PM
Registered

This is near my buddy's old house: huge garage (notes it can handle 2 50 ft RV's)but the house is a DUMP for 2.3mm. Garage isn't really finished well either.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...ct/17_zm/1_rs/
Old 10-05-2018, 12:53 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,950 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
Do these oversize garages impact resale of the home ? Got to believe they would only appeal to another boat owner or possibly car collector putting you in a small market segment.
I have never met anybody that said their garage was too big. Mine blends right in. Third door is a foot taller than the double and garage runs the entire length. If I had went deeper, all it would have done is add privacy to my back patio area.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 131 Likes on 54 Posts

Boat length plus ten feet minimum. My 30’ boat is 39’ on a trailer, the 33’ becomes 42’ on the trailer.

i would go 100’ deep if I had the room