GM Performance Crate Engines >

GM Performance Crate Engines

Notices

GM Performance Crate Engines

Old 10-24-2018, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GM Performance Crate Engines

So bent a rod at startup in one of my 17 year old 350 Mag MPIs. Not many hours on the motor but looks like age just caught up to her being raw water and running in salt, although avid flusher as the boat is trailer kept.

Being their age, I've decided to just go ahead and replace both engines just for piece of mind. Sat out all last season in preparation.. Looking around at options, Ideally would like brand new 350 long block, no reman's, know of several places that have brand new Merc replacements. This way I can reuse most of the parts off my 350 Mag MPI, fuel rails, throttle body, MEFI3. Buddy put a single GM 502 HO crate motor in his setup. Got me looking at these myself now, the HT383 seems like it would be a perfect fit. 320HP & 444lbft at 3000 RPM. Just don't know what, if anything, I could reuse from my 350s. I'm not looking to get 10 more MPHs or anything like that, also not trying to break the bank on these builds either. That turn key reliability that I've had for the past 10 years is what I'm looking for. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these GM Performance Crate motors in marine setups.

GM Performance Crate Motors
Old 10-24-2018, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 62 Likes on 23 Posts

It sounds like you need to stick with stock so that your MPI setup will work. Until 2005, the camshaft was the same in all 5.7's, so as long as you get a marine longblock from somewhere reputable, you'll be fine. 2005+ MPI had a very minor difference in cam.

If you want a new marine 5.7 with the correct cam, I would talk to Marine Power. The GM Performance is going to have a automotive profile cam that you and your marine MPI aren't going to like.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:58 PM
Registered

Received 454 Likes on 301 Posts

I sell many crate 350 and cylinder wall to piston clearances are sometimes tight sometimes too tight! For car racing at least so even worst for marine
i think they may be a good base but need to make sure they are ok for marine with some slight mod for reliability
Old 10-24-2018, 04:37 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not an expert on this, but the subject of automotive engines being used in marine applications comes up often.
I think about it this way... a marine engine has no transmission and goes from idle to pinned for may be 2 minutes, maybe 5 minutes, maybe near redline on a lake, river, ocean, whatever for a very long time.
When was the last time a Vette 6.2 was pinned for 15 -20 minutes going from a start of a journey to another, continuous. near redline rpms for extended periods of time.
The engines have the same basics but not the same development.

There are also a number of builders that have adapted these engines to marine use but that is not plug and play.

Last edited by nsformula; 10-24-2018 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:40 PM
Registered

a street car engine may live with 7/10 th of a thousand inches of clearance between piston and cylinder walls. a race track car engine needs more like minimum 1.5 to 2 thousand of an inches. then , a marine engine, because of the load and heat created, I'm not sure of the mesures but do recall it needs more like 3-4 thousands of an inche... so it is the same with every moving parts. my guess is some to most component of a car engine might be good enough in a boat, but a couple things needs to be adresses, like clearances, like better valves, like cam profile, to get reliability. and best performances... so whatever your choose, get some professionnal advice so you don't have to spend twice when your thought you made a good deal!!!
Old 10-24-2018, 07:45 PM
Registered

but if ever you choose a crate, i can sell you one !!!
Old 10-24-2018, 08:01 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,404 Likes on 475 Posts

get hold of frank at FU marine in Elkton, he has built a couple small blocks that run great and have efi.. he has a 383 in his 21 Apache
Old 10-25-2018, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 58 Posts

GM performance “marine” crate motor is a very reasonable option. I bought a 502 in 2012 and it never missed a lick. I sold it to a friend when I built a new 540. It’s still going strong but the maintenance was meticulous and I didn’t run it to death wot all the time. Don’t know about the small blocks but I would buy another of their 8.2’s, Good luck
Old 10-27-2018, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see a lot of places offer new GM long blocks but I’m finding out that they aren’t actual GM marine long blocks. Any recommendations on places to get GM Marine long blocks?
Old 10-27-2018, 09:01 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 270 Likes on 150 Posts

I’ve purchased several from these folk after someone drags one in after freezing one. NEW Base Marine Engines - Michigan Motorzgw

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.