Notices

Bad azz! F1/Cig ad

Old 11-17-2018, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
Yea, but in Miami?! That **** would be epic!
very cool
Old 11-17-2018, 08:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,168 Likes on 499 Posts

Hard to beat the genuine sound of an F1 car.......

Old 11-18-2018, 07:03 AM
Registered

Received 1,982 Likes on 785 Posts

Agreed!

Just watched Brazil on tape last night and hated:

their hybrids are now called “power units”.They are no longer, flame spewing, ear piercing, obnoxious ENGINES.
They are PC power units.
Whoever created that rule change, totally misread F-1s fan base.

The new body work totally enclosed the ENGINES. No pipes, no nothing.

I thought I read somewhere the new owners were looking at changing it back to where the ENGINE was part of the focus.

The grid penalties are insane too.

Should be an interesting off season.

New owners tried to end the $16 million participation grant for Ferrari but buckled last minute.
I look for that to be back on the table 😉

Originally Posted by rak rua
Hard to beat the genuine sound of an F1 car.......

https://youtu.be/le5oLMro79Q
Old 11-18-2018, 07:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

The sounds is not what it used to be but it's still,pretty impressive. I watch the GP's on TV rather than attend the circuits, better coverage and the sound doesn't matter so much. I also get to sit in a local bar surrounded by Thai lovelies that help keep my glass full and my ego stroked.

F1 has it's detractors, tree hugging greenies and environmentalists and the FIA pander to that a little to keep on side with the public. Safety issues (which we all agree with) have probably held progress back too.

Worth a read is Adrian Newey's book if you get a chance. A lot about design, some funny stories and he makes his thoughts about Ferrari and favoritism pretty obvious. Lol.

RR

Old 11-18-2018, 07:52 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 884 Likes on 330 Posts

tree hugging greenies and environmentalists
I like my environment, I boat in it, swim in it, off-road in it, work in it, drink it, breathe it.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 1,982 Likes on 785 Posts

I understand the need for change but I have a problem w/a marketing dept controlling motorsports.
i.e. NASCAR and NHRA etc.

I hate the new halos but that should be the drivers call.

Thx for the tip on the Newey book.
The guys an absolute genius and I am a fan.

Perfect timing for a new book asI just finished Brownies 😬

The sounds is not what it used to be but it's still,pretty impressive. I watch the GP's on TV rather than attend the circuits, better coverage and the sound doesn't matter so much. I also get to sit in a local bar surrounded by Thai lovelies that help keep my glass full and my ego stroked.

F1 has it's detractors, tree hugging greenies and environmentalists and the FIA pander to that a little to keep on side with the public. Safety issues (which we all agree with) have probably held progress back too.

Worth a read is Adrian Newey's book if you get a chance. A lot about design, some funny stories and he makes his thoughts about Ferrari and favoritism pretty obvious. Lol.

RR

Old 11-18-2018, 09:37 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm not much of a reader, if it's not about boats or cars, I won't touch it. Brownie's book was a great entertaining read. Newey's is full of techie stuff from his aerodynamicist point of view, a lot about himself and his life but several good little stories, a bit like Brownie in some ways, alcohol and high profile lifestyle antics. Doing donuts on Christian Horner's front lawn, riding motorbikes into the harbour at Monaco, the usual stuff! Took me a bit more time to read than Brownie's but well worthwhile.

RR

Old 11-18-2018, 10:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 830 Likes on 387 Posts

The manufacturers are not willing to go back to pure N/A engines - they have too much invested in the hybrid powers units and their learnings in F1 have driven their road car capabilities to insane levels. Plus they realize that hybrids are the way of the future at all automotive levels (Ferrari LaFerrari, Mclaren P1, Mercedes One are all hybrids as a result of F1). They were a significant force in pushing back engine proposals for 2021 that called for simplifying the formula. As much as we all miss the sound, wed all rather have a set of Merc 1350's over a set of Hawk 525's. Technology rules unfortunately, but they still have a neat sound when you are there in person....

Ferraris "nostalgia" bonus is actually 100M. Which I despise. That money would do wonders for the midfield which has produced a good scrap this year.....