Notices

phenomenon

Old 12-30-2018, 09:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,168 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by JRider
Isnt this thing ungodly heavy? Like 26k lbs?
I read that a lot of the weight is in the 'over manufactured' cockpit safety cell. It was designed to withstand a crash at huge speed so if it's getting re-rigged for a more modest application, that strengthened safety cell may be ripped out.

But yeah, she's still fairly heavy, the original concept was twin turbines but then grew to 4 turbines with such immense power that weight really didn't matter. If you search around, I think most of this is posted or linked on OSO.

Still good to read someone is working to put her on the water. Great project to resurrect.

RR

P.S. Haven't re-read this thread but I think it contains a fair bit of info...
Phenomenon - Dirt cheap and still not worth it.

Last edited by rak rua; 12-30-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 809 Likes on 456 Posts

The boat should still perform to a certain mark of respectability with the twin 3+K Hp T55's.. if you keep in mind it's seating capacity is in keeping with a small school bus.

Interesting to see how is actually performs upon sea trial and later dial-in... either way, when Phenomenon arrives at a poker run or ?????, all eyes (and conversation) are going to be on that boat alone.... great to see its not in a weed field abandoned and someone is trying make it work - compliments for the effort!
Old 12-31-2018, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Really glad someone is going to save Al Copeland Sr. dream boat Phenomenon, may not be a record breaker as planned but will be a boat with the history of an Offshore Powerboat Legend and one of a kind. Happy New Year.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:06 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,993 Likes on 995 Posts

Juts saw a video in FB firing up the turbines