Manufacturer's model length claims

Notices

Manufacturer's model length claims

Old 12-17-2018, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 747 Likes on 338 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
I have a friend that had a custom houseboat built and ordered a 30’ Hull - the max for his slip. The boat showed up and didn’t fit. He was thinking overall length but the boat builder goes by the waterline. Oops. Everyone involved are super smart engineers just speaking on different terms.

How do you measure the waterline? At rest? That’s pretty irrelevant for 99% of consumers. I think having an approximate idea if it’ll fit into your slip or garage is more useful.
Actually waterline length is important. It defines how much of the hulls length is actually in the water as rest. Remember most of these boats spend most of their time sitting in the party cove or idling in gear. ( insert funny smile here !)
Old 12-17-2018, 03:58 PM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 160 Likes on 68 Posts

well they just called this boat a 420 42' and said it has a 38'4" running surface. pet matt.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:28 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

Skater, Outerlimits. MTI, all have bustles and countless manufacturers have molded swim platforms. No different. Just like some guys measure from their taint for extra length..
Old 12-17-2018, 11:32 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Kind of silly arguing about what its called. I think you know when looking into buying a boat what is characteristics are. There are a lot of different measurements for different purposes. Do you want to know what the running surface is for a trailer. What about how far the drives stick out so they are not hanging out the back of the slip or being able to fit it in a garage.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:56 AM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 809 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by TxHawk
It will be interesting to see if it is considered "underpowered" as was the other large 400R powered cat.
Agreed, but I think both were built for the idea of "future" power.