Notices

Fountain Education

Old 01-19-2019, 02:38 PM
Registered

Received 1,477 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by LakeLifer
Lake Cumberland, the waters don't really get bad here. I would say your major holidays with a few cabin cruisers and a poker run is as bad as it gets.

Other than the obvious, bigger boat costs more to build, and trailer too.. is there not much difference in cost to own or maintain? I would think a 42 is much harder on fuel than a 35 or 38.. At that point it would be a matter of choice on cuddy size I assume? And a 42 would force me to upgrade to a 3500 series truck. Thanks for the reply!
That is a nice lake, been there when we lived in Indiana. If it was me I would do the 35 just for the fact most of the time it will be much more fun to drive. Yes, for those days when it gets choppy the 42 would be better but if that's only 10% of the time you are out why not have fun the other 90%.

A semi stag 38 wouldn't be bad either, still a little easier to work on the motors, docking isn't bad because drives are spaced out, and have a little more length.

Like this one.

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/2...ing-103475063/

As for towing, no way on those steep ramps would I have a 1/2 ton and a 42! You don't need a dully for any of them.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
That is a nice lake, been there when we lived in Indiana. If it was me I would do the 35 just for the fact most of the time it will be much more fun to drive. Yes, for those days when it gets choppy the 42 would be better but if that's only 10% of the time you are out why not have fun the other 90%.

A semi stag 38 wouldn't be bad either, still a little easier to work on the motors, docking isn't bad because drives are spaced out, and have a little more length.

Like this one.

As for towing, no way on those steep ramps would I have a 1/2 ton and a 42! You don't need a dully for any of them.
Hope you enjoyed your time! Trying to weigh options it seems like the 38 is what I'm going to continue to investigate. 42 would be nice for those weekends but for the most part be a waste. From what I have seen, most 38s are staggered which I like. Kind of surprised it is common to see 525s in the 35, 38, and 42. Is there a noticeable maneuverability difference in terms of drive spacing? I know for all out speed you'd like them tight. I'm sure someone is brave enough to do so, but it ain't me trying a 1/2 ton up those ramps with these boats haha.. I barely can justify my 2500 diesel now and anything more would be a complete waste. The boat in that link is almost exactly what I'm looking at, thanks so much!!
Old 01-19-2019, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 199 Likes on 112 Posts

On the reliability end, hard to beat Merc blue motors.

I’m sure there will be a lot out there ready for top end servicing, try to buy 50 or so hours after the work has been done. Let someone else take the hit, and with time on them after you have a good chance the work will hold up.

Id almost rather buy 500 hour sealed motors that are still running than something that someone just did a bunch of random work too. With the 500 hour motors you have a good idea what’s in store. Nothing hurts more to pay more for work that was just done only to drop a valve Memorial Day weekend and be down for weeks and out the expense of redoing them. That being said there are a handful of shops I would call to verify what was done and never think twice on their quality of work.

Drives, if you are sticking with 500s or 525s I’d almost stick with just standard bravos, buy a thousand dollar spare and go use it. If your running them to the point of regularly hurting them on the lower hp, step/notched boat xr’s won’t last much longer. That being said if you buy and it has xr’s, rock on.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,168 Likes on 499 Posts

Can someone educate me on the difference between the 35' and 38' non staggered boats? Obviously '3 Fountain feet' but where is that difference? Is it split equally between engine room, cockpit and cabin or is all the cabin, all in the engine room.....etc, etc?

RR
Old 01-20-2019, 01:08 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,993 Likes on 995 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua
Can someone educate me on the difference between the 35' and 38' non staggered boats? Obviously '3 Fountain feet' but where is that difference? Is it split equally between engine room, cockpit and cabin or is all the cabin, all in the engine room.....etc, etc?

RR

I think about 2' cabin and then maybe 1' cockpit. and engine bay.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at fountains 38 fever also, the cockpit has more room than the Lightning’s, because they don’t have the walk around built into the deck
Old 01-20-2019, 03:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tmmii

I’m sure there will be a lot out there ready for top end servicing, try to buy 50 or so hours after the work has been done. Let someone else take the hit, and with time on them after you have a good chance the work will hold up.

Id almost rather buy 500 hour sealed motors that are still running than something that someone just did a bunch of random work too. With the 500 hour motors you have a good idea what’s in store. Nothing hurts more to pay more for work that was just done only to drop a valve Memorial Day weekend and be down for weeks and out the expense of redoing them. That being said there are a handful of shops I would call to verify what was done and never think twice on their quality of work.

Drives, if you are sticking with 500s or 525s I’d almost stick with just standard bravos, buy a thousand dollar spare and go use it. If your running them to the point of regularly hurting them on the lower hp, step/notched boat xr’s won’t last much longer. That being said if you buy and it has xr’s, rock on.
One of the best comments I have received, appreciate you for that! I have a guy here in town on the way to the marina who I would trust with any boat. I will try to pick his brain if he will let me. I love the sound of a good blower but for some reason I prefer it to be in a car lol I'm hoping it will save me money and help me run across a relatively unmolested boat.. staggered 500s or 525s all stock are what I'm looking for. I recently stumbled across the 35 ICBM and if I went that length, I would want to do that. Thanks for the info!!
Old 01-20-2019, 03:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by halfgassed
Look at fountains 38 fever also, the cockpit has more room than the Lightning’s, because they don’t have the walk around built into the deck
Only differences between the Fever and Lightning are as you mentioned? I know there are several noticeable differences between Lightning and EX.. guess I should look more at the fever, thanks!
Old 01-23-2019, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tmmii

Agreed. My 525s are sealed and virgin. I don't run hammer down 100% but top it out quite often. Only Mercury 25W-40 semi synthetic oil changed every 25 hrs. Sta-Bil 360 full dose and premium gas at every fill up. I have had 0 downtime. In 460 hrs. It's still an 81 mph boat when slick and about 83 in 2-3 ft chop.

Last edited by On Time; 01-23-2019 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

The fever is totally different than the lightning. Fever is closer to executioner they stopped making the 38 fever when they started the 38 Lightning. May have had both for a year not sure on that. Blue motors are good but for the most part be prepared to do top ends around 300 hours. Some have run more and been lucky others not so much. Many that have been done at 300 we’re still running but had spring issues. Either pressures gone or even broken springs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.