Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Anyone know how to hook up this Livorsi exhaust? >

Anyone know how to hook up this Livorsi exhaust?

Notices

Anyone know how to hook up this Livorsi exhaust?

Old 02-08-2019, 03:55 PM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Anyone know how to hook up this Livorsi exhaust?

The cylinders gave two ports, only one is needed as it is a spring return (open) I assume the other hose gets routed into the boat to prevent water from entering. I have jumped the compressor and I can run the compressor and trigger the solenoid. My question is, when this is switched “on” to close the exhaust does the compressor need to run continuously along with the solenoid?

anyone have one of these systems and have some information.

i realize they are filthy, everything seems to be in working order.

thanks
Old 02-08-2019, 04:02 PM
Registered

Old 02-08-2019, 07:15 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 971 Posts

No. If the seals are good, the compressor will pump the actuators open and thus close the flaps.
You should use a 2 way momentary switch to run the compressor. One way will pump and the other will release the air.
If you hold the momentary pump switch longer it will build more pressure and hold them closed longer.
They will stay closed for quite a while, how long depends on how many rpms you are running.
You don't want water getting into the air release side connection either or it will corrode the inside of the actuators.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
No. If the seals are good, the compressor will pump the actuators open and thus close the flaps.
You should use a 2 way momentary switch to run the compressor. One way will pump and the other will release the air.
If you hold the momentary pump switch longer it will build more pressure and hold them closed longer.
They will stay closed for quite a while, how long depends on how many rpms you are running.
You don't want water getting into the air release side connection either or it will corrode the inside of the actuators.
so when you close the flapper to quiet it down it only stays closed for a short while after the momentary switch is fired? I would like to use this as I am coming out of the marina and down the no wake channel. Is that possible with this setup? I’m thinking a cable setup may be better for switching the flapper if the compressor doesn’t do it. I’m not exactly sure how these work as I have never owned one.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:28 PM
Charter Member #394
Charter Member

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

My CMI aft-fire mufflers have stayed closed for weeks. If the seals are good in the pump and the rams, they stay closed for a long time (I don't normally leave them closed). One way to help the seals in the rams is to spray a bit of 303 into the air fittings of the rams and move them in and out then lour out execss fluid. Pull the ram out, hold your finger on the air in fitting, the ram should not retract all the way until you release your finger.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:29 AM
Registered

Ok, I’ll give it a try. So basically the solenoid closes it off so it holds a vacuum. Correct?
Old 02-09-2019, 07:34 PM
Charter Member #394
Charter Member

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, and as Griff stated above, you will need a two way switch.
BTW, CMI now calls it 'External Sound Choice System.'

Yep, pressure as stated below. Simple system.

Last edited by SFOcean; 02-10-2019 at 01:49 AM.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 1,277 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by Alwhite00
Ok, I’ll give it a try. So basically the solenoid closes it off so it holds a vacuum. Correct?
No, that is a pressure pump. When you energize the solenoid it releases the pressure between the pump and cylinders. The solenoid is normally closed. Your 2 way momentary switch... one side energizes the compressor the other energizes the solenoid.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 1,277 Likes on 620 Posts

It appears that it is switched negative (-) 2 positive wires together on middle terminal.

Old 02-10-2019, 12:36 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by Alwhite00

so when you close the flapper to quiet it down it only stays closed for a short while after the momentary switch is fired? I would like to use this as I am coming out of the marina and down the no wake channel. Is that possible with this setup? I’m thinking a cable setup may be better for switching the flapper if the compressor doesn’t do it. I’m not exactly sure how these work as I have never owned one.
It will do what you are looking for with no problem. At idle, mine will stay closed tight for about 20 minutes. At 3500rpms, they stay closed tight for 5-10 minutes. They gradually open in both cases and it isn't like flipping an instant switch. All you have to do is hold the switch for 5 seconds and the compressor will pump them closed again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.