Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Another Oil Thread - Amazon Basics 20w50 >

Another Oil Thread - Amazon Basics 20w50

Notices

Another Oil Thread - Amazon Basics 20w50

Old 02-28-2019, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

What does zinc do? Is it needed in a high performance marine engine? That was my main concern when wondering how the Amazon 20w40 stacks up to the VR1 20w50.
Old 12-07-2023, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 185 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
IMO its the filters. In a car it primes in 2 seconds. The fact that its upside down on my boat and its one of those WIX 1.5 or maybe some of you have 2 quart filters the engine is running dry. My oil pressure gauge doesnt move on startup after an oil change for 8-10 seconds.

Last time I was working on the boat I threaded a "T" in with a cap to prime it. I am doing an oil change soon and will let ya'll know if it helps.
Great point. One of the reasons to run a heavy oil is to benefit from the higher film strength on start-up. But 8-10 seconds on oil changes is rough. Especially when done so frequently at 25 hrs.

A pre-oiler would be great. An accumulator can be setup to dump the reservoir pressure before start-up, but you would want to change that oil on the oil change. Anti-drain back filters help too if they are in poor positions.

I like the simple solution of T to fill an upside down filter. My System 1 mesh filters are horizontal. Not to.mention the many oil hoses to the 2x bell housing coolers and external filter.