Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Looking to buy a Formula 330 SS. Tell me the good and bad and if you have had one. >

Looking to buy a Formula 330 SS. Tell me the good and bad and if you have had one.

Notices

Looking to buy a Formula 330 SS. Tell me the good and bad and if you have had one.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Looking to buy a Formula 330 SS. Tell me the good and bad and if you have had one.

A buddy of mine is looking to buy a foFormula 330 SS. He wants a fast type of day boat. He looked at the Formula 28 SS and that is too small. And he doesn't like the lines of the Formula 37 SS. If anyone has one for sale and can even give me some areas of concern to check on these, it would be appreciated.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 760 Likes on 410 Posts

I would not consider a 330 SS a "fast type of day boat".
Old 04-03-2019, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Good overall boat. Lots of cockpit space. I run mine on Lake St Clair pretty decent ride in normal conditions. When its choppy u sacrifice the ride due to the wide beam and modified v. Pops up on plane well with six or two does not seem to matter . 7.4 mpi seemed to be the engine packages on the older ones than came to 496s.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 760 Likes on 410 Posts

They actually will run OK with twin 350 MAG's as a buddy has one that lives at LOTO. But if you want any kind of performance you'll need to look for one with 496 MAG's which I believe is the highest HP combo they put into a 330. The extended platforms are a must if you plan to swim off the back of them. The built-in platform is small and the ladder is quite a reach to the first rung from the water. The one my buddy has would really flex in the cockpit floor in rough water (returning from the course at the Shootout).
Old 04-03-2019, 10:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Its fast for my buddy. He had a 38' Diesel Sundancer that would top out at 28
Old 04-04-2019, 07:57 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had been looking at one. It's a 20 degree hull, where the 31 Sun Sport and the 35 Super sport are 21 degree. The new 330CBR Formula is making is 31 degree as well.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 210 Likes on 100 Posts

Own one @ LOTO. Bought it new, don't really have any negatives about the form/function of the boat. Cockpit is laid out very well, sun pad at rear inside the cockpit if you desire, great storage and the cuddy is reasonable if a couple want cove out over-night. Excellent size cockpit area for family & friends as a day boat. Formula did away with the boat in 2008 I believe after it was one of there best sellers for years behind the 400SS. They brought the 330 back as a CBR a few years ago. Bought mine late 05 w 496x2. Extended platform, arch. No air and glad I didn't order it (800lbs) and put on a windless anchor, if you wanna service your own boat the gen is right in the way and it's overkill on this size boat with minimal cabin IMO and another think to winterize. The down side is I would like to go a little faster at LOTO but the washboard conditions on weekends don't allow it and you really have to be aware of the 40+ cruiser wakes and lower your speed. I will say it is pretty smooth in those conditions b/c I drop the nose down lower and plow more water than I should @t 28-33mph. You wanna go slower you will have little problem on a busy LOTO weekend with ride quality, boat is 10k lbs dry. Top speed I have seen is 50-53mph. Boat has great power out of the hole and in the mid-ranges with 496's. That said, I have been looking for a larger used CC or 370/400ss to my liking and have been looking for a few months. Have your friend PM and they he can call if he likes as I will be putting mine up for sale when that time comes.