Formula Discontinuing FAS3Tech Sportboat Line >

Formula Discontinuing FAS3Tech Sportboat Line

Notices

Formula Discontinuing FAS3Tech Sportboat Line

Old 04-04-2019, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 938 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteLT193
I think it is a poor decision from a marketing stand point. Formula sold a LOT of cruisers because of the sport boat line. I know my Dad got sucked into looking at Formula SR1's and ended up with a PC... I know he had a mind set that the heart of that cruiser was really an SR1 and that's why he bought a Formula instead of another brand. GM went through this with Corvette too. They weren't really making money on the car anymore but someone was smart enough to keep it around because 'every Chevy has a piece of the Corvette living inside it'... Guys go into a Chevy dealer drooling over a Corvette... they may leave with a new Silverado because of it
You might have an angle but remember they only sold 5 new Fastechs in 2 years so those 5 buyers got what they wanted so now what? Where are the next 5 buyers? In your example the buyer can drive the Silverado to work (justifying the purchase), not so much with the Formula.

Look at this mint 382 with 80 hours on it!
https://www.offshoreonly.com/classif...ch-o73539.html

Guy is asking 260K, sure it has non-merc power but for that price you could repower it and still be 150K less than a new 382!

Formula made a cool boat but I think the windshields and the paint schemes dated the boats badly. Remember the spider web paint scheme, the lightning bolt?
Old 04-04-2019, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 740 Likes on 334 Posts

Formula made a business decision not an emotional one. They're probably smart enough to know the C.C. market is becoming saturated and they'll stick with the cruisers and runabouts that currently sell.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 26 Posts

Sad to see another icon of the go fast world come to an end. Such a shame that the market has shifted so much but it's understandable. People these days want space, comfort and amenities. I'm guilty!
Old 04-04-2019, 12:40 PM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 154 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by MonkeySea2
Sad to see another icon of the go fast world come to an end. Such a shame that the market has shifted so much but it's understandable. People these days want space, comfort and amenities. I'm guilty!
If I could go back it would be a 3 or 6 man boat. or something like that although I like the idea of the space I don't. people move around to much. cc are for fishing but that's the south Louisiana in me.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:05 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The family boat that I grew up on was a SR1 Formula, I loved that boat and love Formula because of it. That being said its sad for me to hear this, and even more sad for me that one more go-fast is not being produced anymore. I can't imagine having a boat without a cabin, sunpad, swim platform, the rumble of a through exhaust V8 or the ability to get the adrenaline pumping. Cruisers, CCs, bowriders, cats and even the ob go-fasts all miss one or more of the marks for me. I guess I just cant get with the new trends in boating... Oh well, I cant get with trends such as skinny jeans, hoppy beer or social media either...

Last edited by Stclair26; 04-04-2019 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:17 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,898 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Some useful background and historical information here for those who are interested, https://www.offshoreonly.com/article...3tech-farewell.

Bittersweet. Formula found its own way to survive without going the center console route, but the FAS3Tech line became less and less relevant to its business.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 491 Posts

Is this the last one? Sweet looking boat, I don't see it making place in a museum but it would be a lovely boat to own. Might put a bit more pressure on a new owner to take extra good care of her.

https://www.offshoreonly.com/classif...ir-o75047.html

RR
Old 10-21-2019, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sad to see them go. I've owned 4 Formulas....all deep vee I/O's. Taste and times change....but I think in the after market they will do well.!!!
Old 10-22-2019, 11:01 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Like others have said, Formula made a business decision. You cant make money if you only have 7 buyers for your fastech when there may be 12 waiting for your SS line of boats. Formula is going in the right direction. Look at their homepage. The 1st boat that pops up is a 380 SS crossover. Has a stand up paddle board on the huge swim platform, and a huge bowrider area. Standup paddle boards are all the rage and having the ability to sit up from in a boat doing 50 mph is great, so it seems they are hitting all the marks. And look at how hot the outboard market is too. I would guess that 1/2 of the boats at Boyne Thunder this year were CC outboard models. Although not for the purists, outboards are whats hot. Speed on par with I/O's. Better fuel efficiency, less noise, better maneuverability. Not everyone wants to listen to the roar of a blown BBC, and if you have passengers, they may not like it either. throw in joystick docking and any "rich" newbie can dock a 40' boat now.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:38 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A business decision? There are very low costs to maintain a current model and just have it as a quiet offering which they could (and may) do. The molds simply get prepped and stored until a customer orders one. Developing new models on the other hand can be costly...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.