Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Whats your thoughts on CMI headers? >

Whats your thoughts on CMI headers?

Notices

Whats your thoughts on CMI headers?

Old 04-13-2019, 06:47 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whats your thoughts on CMI headers?

I'm just thinking of things right now. It's a rainy day..lol..I still have a few years before replacing my Mercruiser manifolds. I was looking at the CMI. I know they are A LOT of money and I need 2 sets, BUT I'm thinking of reasons to spend the extra cash and this is what I came up with..IF in 4 years I love the boat so much that I plan on keeping it for a long time. So far I'm 3 years in and I don't want anything more or less. I could offset the price a little with my stainless Elbows also. What's your thoughts? Remember I'm in salt water also.
#1=They are Stainless and would never have to be changed as long as I own the boat.
#2= In the back of my mind I won't have to worry so much about blowing up a motor for water intrusion. ( less joints to fail )
#3= I won't have to flush my motors every time I come in ( That's just the way I am)
#4= Say a little more power ( I'd tweek my props again if I had to )
#5= Resale value
#6= COOL FACTOR.

Last edited by mnm99; 04-13-2019 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 801 Likes on 378 Posts

Is that a list of reasons why to buy CMI!? If so, many of them are wildly inaccurate.

1. CMI’s fail all the time. Actually they have been known to fail the most. Welds give up due to corrosion/vibration/heat cycling.

2. CMI’s have marginal performance improvements if any especially with smaller power.

3. They don’t last forever. See item 1 above. Ours failed after 8-9 years causing top ends to be re-done. Some folks experienced failures after 2-3 years.

4. Cool factor sure. But anyone who knows the truth might shy away. Lots of people are going with other manufacturers I.e. stainless marine, etc.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 1,445 Likes on 804 Posts

The reasons seem strange but as for the failures those had a lot to do with the cheap Merc version.

But if you have mild power and want cool factor, ease of maintenance get the E—tops. 19 years on mine and they are fine.

You still have to flush no matter what you have. Here’s one, people say they don’t like to run coated aluminum heads in salt but will put exhaust on and not worry?

Big thing, flush and flush with a LOT of water volume, no cheap 1/2” hose junk.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:02 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,339 Likes on 461 Posts

I have etops on both of mine and love them, but i have to admit, im hearing great things from people with real big hp that are running the stainless marine risers and the KE lightnings. they dont have the bling of a header, but if it gives the same or better hp rating and better longevity I might be tempted to use them on my next project.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 1,445 Likes on 804 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
I have etops on both of mine and love them, but i have to admit, im hearing great things from people with real big hp that are running the stainless marine risers and the KE lightnings. they dont have the bling of a header, but if it gives the same or better hp rating and better longevity I might be tempted to use them on my next project.
I agree the E-tops are not much more performance then a better design manifold. The KE you are talking about if you see a cut out are basically long tube headers.

But if he just has a 496HO I doubt he would notice and for that matter I have dyno sheets that show the KE lose some mid range on a small motor.

If if I had a staggard boat and needed to buy I would buy the KE’s and paint to match.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 910 Likes on 392 Posts

I wouldn’t spend 10-12k on headers in that boat, if that second picture is your boat. Looks like a cruiser, v drives. Tail pipes would be a project alone. HP wise the stock merc manifolds have shown to flow pretty good.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. I have no Idea about the reliability and thank you for the input.. It wouldn't be going thru hull either. Just a replacement for stock. Yes it's a 340 cruiser with V-Drives. I'm sure I won't go the header route with this boat the more I research, I was just seeing if anyone ever used the CMI. Within a couple years I'm hoping to be in a gofast like you guys.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 58 Posts

I don’t have 1 bad word to say about my etops. I can see every spark plug on both sides, I can hold them up with one hand to mount,there are no riser gaskets,they look great, and the midrange grunt difference was unmistakable. I only gained about 100 rpm on top though. 5 years so far and flush every time
Old 04-13-2019, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 910 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by mnm99
Thanks guys. I have no Idea about the reliability and thank you for the input.. It wouldn't be going thru hull either. Just a replacement for stock. Yes it's a 340 cruiser with V-Drives. I'm sure I won't go the header route with this boat the more I research, I was just seeing if anyone ever used the CMI. Within a couple years I'm hoping to be in a gofast like you guys.
You’d probably be better off money wise finding a 370ss or 400ss with 525s already in the boat. Those formulas are a cool cross between cruiser and go fast. Overall I believe CMIs are a very good header, but they’re very proud of them. Yes the merc specified headers had their problems. You might find some headers or manifolds that flow a little better but in my opinion there’s none that look better.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

18 years on my CMI ETops never one failure. The bad wrap comes from the Merc spec headers. Inferior stainless alloy, no cool collar at the flange, and no heat treating make them failure prone. Standard CMI headers are pretty bulletproof. That said, you still need to flush them if running in salt.

Honestly with your boat, I’m not sure it’d be worth the cost. You may not see any gain....it’ll sound a little cooler if the exhaust is above the water

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.