Notices

Is HORBA dead?

Old 06-20-2019, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 123 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Is HORBA dead?

The website hasn't been updated in like 10 years and I hear talk all the time about "it's coming back" and "send us your info" just for nothing ... years later. They should sell it to me or someone else that can run it.
Please don't say they are on bookface. What is the point of a domain and website if they are just a bookface page? If that's what they have then they are just a page on another's website. A website that some of us will never go to. I can see why some would go there for more exposure but the internet doesn't start at the bookface sign in page.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 747 Likes on 338 Posts

Classic offshore boat restoration on F.B. has 19K members, that's appx. half of OSO's membership. The page doesn't put up with the typical B.S. found on F.B.. I agree HORBA is sorta dead, he keeps trying for a number of years to revive a form of racing that's the offshore boat owners haven't bought into.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

As Mark Twain said ...."The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated!"

Yes we have been quiet for awhile, but busy nonetheless.

We put on a couple of Real Open Ocean Old School Races,
Two races that were, The Miami to Bimini and return race that was about 100 miles.
And two, Around Long Island Marathon Race of 271 miles.

There was not enough interest by the racers of today or boaters in general. Specifically no support from manufacturers who trusted their products enough to show the public they could really take an open ocean run and survive.
The only company that consistently showed up to race was Outerlimits and they consistently won.

Next, we tried to see if there was any interest from the owner's of the restored and operating boats, in running in some type of poker run a few times a year.
Response fell into two areas....Yes, I would love to participate but only in my local area! And second Yes, I would love to attend but my boat cannot keep up the 80 plus MPH average speed that the boats will run or..... Yes, but I don;t have enough fuel capacity.

We then began assembling lists of old race boats, restored or not to see if they are still around.
This idea was to work with the Amelia Island Concours folks, to include a section of their outdoor display to show selected boats each year.
Amelia Island is displayed on a golf course and it was decided that the boats and trailers weighed too much and would damage the course.

Then we wasted a few months with back and forth talks with the producers of that travesty of a movie with John Travolta. We had everything they needed, but they chose to go another direction,, like right to NetFlix. It was a joke.

So we have been focusing on finishing the educational series of books on the history of the sport.
The first book of the series was..... Blue Water Warriors covering the years from 1970 to 1980. / Next is.... The Innovators covering the years from 1955 to 1969. / Then ......The Cats Arrive in Offshore covering the 1980's.

Plus the non stop work of sorting and filing the over 100,000 images both photos and negatives that we have.

Discussions have been held with some major Maritime museums in regards to taking over the display we have of many old trophies and other pieces of importance to the sport. Mystic Seaport was very interested but could not guarantee us display dates rather than just warehousing everything. We want this stuff to be seen.

Last but not least, we have been helping some owners who are restoring some important race boats. Namely producing the original negatives, of the actual famous race shots of certain boats in color. When these are blown up, they help the restorers and painters duplicate what the actual boats looked like in that era. The last boat we helped was, recently restored and now fully running......the 41 foot Apache Red Banner Boat.

Many of the old racers are aging out or actually dying off, so it is important to get as much history right from the racers who were there rather than try to piece together rumors many years later.

So thanks for your concerns and we are always open to any ideas that will bring back the real offshore races that started the sport.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:07 AM
Registered

I get all that but I'm talking about the simple website HORBA.com
I mean you all can have the most bad ass car on the planet (motor, trans, rear, roll cage…) but if you don't have wheels you aint going nowhere.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:55 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname
I get all that but I'm talking about the simple website HORBA.com
I mean you all can have the most bad ass car on the planet (motor, trans, rear, roll cage…) but if you don't have wheels you aint going nowhere.
Right now we feel a website does not deliver what we need.

We continue to get a lot of traffic from the many FB pages, worldwide as noted above.

Thanks for your input, let us know how your podcasts work out.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

yes
Old 06-21-2019, 07:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Right now we feel a website does not deliver what we need.

We continue to get a lot of traffic from the many FB pages, worldwide as noted above.

Thanks for your input, let us know how your podcasts work out.
Not sure how to take that???
So you think when someone google searches "HORBA" and it comes up to a 10 year long dead website, that's cool because you have a bookface page (or pages)? As for "worldwide"....come on, the internet is world wide, OSO is world wide. If that's your web model....k ….. I wont ask again.