Keepinn a Donzi 27ZR IN salt water all the time

Notices

Keepinn a Donzi 27ZR IN salt water all the time

Old 10-16-2019, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keepinn a Donzi 27ZR IN salt water all the time

Hello everyone,,,

this is my 1st post as I知 a 1st time buyer of a boat of this category. I知 moving to Nassau Bahamas and wanted to buy a Donzi 27ZR for island hopping etc. My house however only has a dock and not a lift, also there is not anywhere around me I can store the boat out of the water! Is this a terrible idea to keep this boat in salt water? if so I guess I値l have to go to a centre consul with outboards. If not has anyone any advice on how to look after and what I need to do?

Thanks in advance,.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 938 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by TovinoThomas
Hello everyone,,,

this is my 1st post as I知 a 1st time buyer of a boat of this category. I知 moving to Nassau Bahamas and wanted to buy a Donzi 27ZR for island hopping etc. My house however only has a dock and not a lift, also there is not anywhere around me I can store the boat out of the water! Is this a terrible idea to keep this boat in salt water? if so I guess I値l have to go to a centre consul with outboards. If not has anyone any advice on how to look after and what I need to do?

Thanks in advance,.
27 is small enough to put on a jet dock.......why not try one of those?

Bigger issue: Who is going to work on the I/O down there when it breaks? Have you seen the import taxes/VAT on boat parts?
Old 10-16-2019, 08:15 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 801 Likes on 369 Posts

You can't keep an I/o in the salt water. That's a disaster. Buy an Outboard boat
Old 10-16-2019, 08:15 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 491 Posts

Welcome to OSO!
I think everyone here will say you need a lift. The sterndrive hanging in the water is not nice, electrolysis, corrosion, antifoul, reduced performance and marine growth will cost you more in the long term than a lift costs. Antifoul is also a big price killer if you decide to sell down the track.

Look into the centre console thing before making a final decision. Outboards that raise up clear of the water are so much easier.

Not exactly what you wanted to hear but boats, especially sterndrives, left in salt water become very costly.

RR