Another x-dimension question

Notices

Another x-dimension question

Old 10-16-2019, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Another x-dimension question

Hey Gang,
Looking to 'tap-into' the vast 'brain trust of knowledge' on this forum. My newest project is a 29' Profile V-hull that had twin BBC and Bravo drives - bad seal on the trim tab mounting hardware allowed for transom to get soft - Good news is its a full balsa core build so not afraid of the repair/replacement of the transom - here's the question:
I would like to convert from twin motors to a single motor - it has a 'notched' transom and moving the single Bravo One drive to the center places the X-dimension approximately at 13 inches - my buddy has 27' Profile with single power/notched transom - his X-dimension is at 7 1/2". Am I 'dreamin' here or is it possible to make this conversion???
Your input would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!
Old 10-16-2019, 11:29 PM
Registered

Received 195 Likes on 108 Posts

Transom, stringers, sounds expensive.

A single big block in a 29
sounds slow and a drive killer.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:16 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 971 Posts

Those X dimension numbers you posted are not the actual X Dim. Not sure what they are.

With the notched transom and being a 29' V, you will want the drive set as low as space allows.
My 28 Pantera single had a notched transom and it was as low it could be set based on the transom space. The actual X dimension was set at 20" and it had a 2" dive spacer factory. I actually changed to 3" spacer to get the drive deeper to carry the bow better. That put the propshaft about 4.5" below the bottom.

As far as your question about can it be done?? Yes, but personally, I would not waste my time, energy and $$$ on a Profile.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the feedback - Griff - the 4.5" below the bottom is the number I was looking for. I was using the measurements from the bottom of the boat to the bottom of the gimbal housing (*not the X-dimension from prop shaft to crank) The small piece of red tape would be the bottom of the gimbal housing which 13" to the bottom of the hull
Old 10-17-2019, 12:08 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 971 Posts

From my 28 Pantera

Old 10-17-2019, 05:36 PM
B38
Registered

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Agreed, prop shaft center 4.5" below hull.