Notices

Brand new ZRC Donzi

Old 11-01-2019, 12:25 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,272 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by BONDO10
I may be wrong, but the bilge looks like it is black with the lights reflecting, giving it a gold look.
If in fact it is gold, the paint designer needs to be regulated to emptying the trash.
It looks like the bilge is the same charcoal color as the aft section of the hull sides, and the LEDs in the bilge are changing it's appearance; perhaps in conjunction with pearl/metallic.

Overall, it looks fantastic. It just needs some minor tweaks for user friendliness.

Has anyone seen a list price yet?
Is this one sold?
Old 11-01-2019, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 379 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
It looks like the bilge is the same charcoal color as the aft section of the hull sides, and the LEDs in the bilge are changing it's appearance; perhaps in conjunction with pearl/metallic.

Overall, it looks fantastic. It just needs some minor tweaks for user friendliness.

Has anyone seen a list price yet?
Is this one sold?
It diffidently needs some tweaking - like moving the seats back outboard a bit so the steering wheel is more centered with the seat and relocating the footrest switches from the console to the dash. I think they got in a bit of a rush to get this boat ready in time to make it to the Fort Lauderdale show in time. Hopefully they correct those oversights when it gets back to the factory. However, this boat was constructed with S-glass which is not as strong and durable as the E-glass and Kevlar used on the original. I have the first one built and you won't find a stress crack anywhere on the boat. When they first discussed making another one of these they were going to make use modern Epoxy and vacuum bagging techniques and it would have been 1500+ lbs lighter. Would love to see how that would have performed with 860's. FYI, after the fact Tom tells us that the steering wheel was placed there on purpose on most ZRC's as it allows better control with the left hand. I didn't know that. Mine is slightly more centered - being the first one maybe they changed it on following boats.

Last edited by Marginmn; 11-01-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,271 Likes on 1,465 Posts

Originally Posted by BONDO10
I may be wrong, but the bilge looks like it is black with the lights reflecting, giving it a gold look.
If in fact it is gold, the paint designer needs to be regulated to emptying the trash.
LOL, after a closer look see it is the led lighting casting a shadow, and might be the back lit gauges in the same color
Old 11-01-2019, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man that’s sick
Old 11-01-2019, 03:23 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 809 Likes on 263 Posts

It's a beauty in person. The metallic paint on the 860s is mesmerizing. The brown/maroon exterior may really work well on the water. I wasn't huge fan on the trailer. I threw my .02 at them about the wrap windshield. I would guess that will come at a future date.
Old 11-01-2019, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 1,462 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
Iconic never received the newer 4step mold when they bought the Donzi assets. There are rumors of that mold still being hidden away in someone's garage in south FL. They did receive the 2step mold but unfortunately accidentally destroyed it along with the 38 Lightning, 38 ZR, and 35 Lightning molds by accident. Some guys at the factory were instructed to go out and bust up some old Baja molds but instead went and crushed the above. Sickening. Iconic bought an old 2004 ZRC to make a new plug from and that is what they used to produce the new boat.
I asked them about this and was told all the hulls had been digitized before they got destroyed.

Unfortunately The person that told me died shortly after so no way to back my claim up. RIP
Old 11-01-2019, 05:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 85 Likes on 32 Posts

First off - Congrats to Iconic for bringing the best 38-40' V bottom back! Overall from all the pics it looks great. Colors are subjective as are the canopies and that's ok. The power package is perfect and if dialed in right should push her well into the 120's. PPI as always did an amazing job on the interior. As for the build and build quality, I can't really see from the pics. I can say that there are a few things that were not well thought out as Marginman already stated. The center console is the only step onto the deck and the switches are in the way, they need to add the center wind deflector, and I am surprised the dash in general is not more modern and updated as others said.
I was very disappointed with the article in Powerboat Nation where Jeff talked negative about the older ZRCs and claims they are all falling apart when that could not be further from the truth. 30 were originally made and all but two are on the water now (one is in pieces in a warehouse and the other went to Icon) Yes, there is wood in the first generation but there is also E-Glass and S-Glass. The new ones have composite stringers but are still just standard glass layup.
As for the two step vs. 4 step hulls, that is interesting and some mystery. Iconic got the deck and cockpit molds for the ZRC but claim they never got any hull mold. Another story says they got the four step mold and it accidentally got destroyed along with some Fountain molds. I can tell you that the mold they made the new boat from came from a 2004 ZRC (On the Rocks) that they bought and made a mold off of.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 85 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I agree with most of the comments above. I am a big ZRC fan; will likely own one at some point, perhaps when I'm done racing cars.

I think overall the boat is beautiful.

Here is my input:
I actually don't like ANY of the switches. I think the push button illuminated switches are much better suited especially on this sleek cockpit design. Instead of toggle switches for footrest, just go with two momentary switches, up and down.
Those screws which are on the edge of the carbon fiber dash panels (around the trim switches) are going to crack the dash plates over time. I've seen it happen on other boats. They need to be set into a metal plate, kind of like the throttles are. And I like to see the 'extra' trim switches closer to the throttles. You are going to have to move your eyes to see which switch you are after.

It would be cool to have Trim-Sync on the boat, but I really like having a lot of switches on the throttles themselves. Then you never have to take your hands off of anything. Some of us like to trip the the boat with the drives primarily; leaving the tabs alone at neutral. As such, having the ability to move both drives with your thumb on the port throttle, and a second switch on the starboard throttle to fine tune ONLY the starboard drive, really worked well for me. A lot of that is personal preference, which could fairly simply be changed by the owner.

Does anyone know if the front seats are on sliders?
My original carbon fiber dash pieces all cracked at the screws over time like you said. When we redid the dash, Innovation came up with the idea of using hydro dipped aluminum and they wont crack. As for the toggles, that is subjective. I do love the led push buttons but I also like the race boat / military look of the hd toggles. I still don't know why they didn't use a big screen in front of the passenger and minimize the gauges. There is no need for double gauges especially with the new electronics and its very hard to even see the gauges under the steering wheel.

Last edited by Tom A.; 11-01-2019 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:34 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 296 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
its beautiful, would love to see it with a full wrap windshield..
agreed . . . i did a rendering of a Gladiator for a member here years ago. I always liked the ZRC most though, may hafta do one of that for fun
anyone know how many XRC's Donzi built and are they all accounted for?

08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 11-02-2019 at 07:37 AM.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The future of offshore is outboards, obviously. I'd like to see a new ZRC with 450’s.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.