Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Anyone been the the Cigarette factory? >

Anyone been the the Cigarette factory?

Notices

Anyone been the the Cigarette factory?

Old 11-06-2002, 07:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone been the the Cigarette factory?

OK, now that I have your attention. I am going to be in the Miami area around Christmas, and was thinking about checking out the Cig factory, I know a lot of you have been there. I hear that they are tearing down a lot of stuff in the area and was wondering if it will be worth my time or not?
Old 11-06-2002, 07:38 AM
Cig38

Ive been to factory, its nothing speical. I also heard that they are moving, im not sure when though. All the land has been sold to developers, So if you are going to go, you better do it this trip!

Old 11-06-2002, 08:02 AM
riskybusiness

Default Cigarette Factory

About 10 years ago, I "Snow-birded" for the winter, and worked as a broker at the famous (or maybe "infamous") Fort Apache Marina, which is (was) right next door to Apache, Cigarette, Pantera, Magnum, Bobby Moore's, Pantera, on Thunderboat row. It was a blast--I almost didn't come home (sometimes I wish I had stayed, but anyway...).

I think Craig Barrie was at the helm of Cigarette at the time.

Even then, there was nothing super high-tech about any of the facilities---just your basic warehouse-style fiberglass shops with molds, etc., and some expert craftsmen churning out gorgeous product.

I was down there a few months ago this year, and, of course, for me, no visit to south Florida would be complete without a quick cruise through Thunderboat Row.

To my dismay, the entire area is in dismal disrepair.

Cigarette is still there at the moment (although I have heard they're relocating, also), as is Bobby Moore's and TNT (one in the same, I think), as well as the Fort itself.

Those facilities are still functioning, and are OK looking, but the way their surroundings have deteriorated makes it look like they were built in the middle of a war zone.

It's kind of sad, when you think of what the place was like when Don Aronow and Bob Saccenti ran the joint, but I suspect when Cigarette moves, they'll set up a nice, new facility, and good ol' thunderboat row will soon become condos.

Either way, you'll see more offshore boats than you can count, and unless you've got a bottomless checkbook, you'll leave all dressed up and nowhere to go, if you know what I mean.

Old 11-06-2002, 09:40 AM
Charter Member #1528

..........and to think, I get to roam & work in a place where business (of all kinds) took place by people who are responsible for the sport/hobbie we love.

It might be nothing to look at. But.....
To think of the history that has taken place here... really turns a different light on the view. I think and appreciate what has taken place here everyday I walk in the door!

..... I would recomend a visit. It's a part of history, and wont be here too much longer. Fort Apache's dry storage buildings are just about gone! Cigarette won't be far behind.

TNT...? I think (don't quote me) will be a bit harder to get us to leave ....

Sad, just sad!
Old 11-06-2002, 09:53 AM
Charter Member #1528

bottom pic is looking east, down the street from apache @ TNT on left & cigarette on both left and right of the street.
Picture I took when I first arrived in Miami a year ago.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone been the the Cigarette factory?-188th.jpg  
Old 11-06-2002, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can make it to the factory before it goes down it is well worth the trip. The tour itself is anticlimactic unless you are actually into the history and pride behind the name. When you walk across the floor in the glass section it is completely rigged and uneven. From years and years and boats and boats being built. The people that work there are the other half that makes the tour worth it. Most have been there for more than ten years and take more pride in their jobs than most surgeons. Over all it is worth the trip if you are in the area. The largest difference between Cigarette and any other manufacturer (Besides Quality) is the history behind the name. It’s truly sad to see the old buildings come down, but the name endures.
Old 11-06-2002, 02:51 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Thrillseeker, I'll be down there Christmas week. I want to go through Powerplay and Active Thunder (already done Cig). Let me know where you're going to be - maybe we can hook up.

Attached is a photo from inside one of the Cig offices...
Attached Thumbnails Anyone been the the Cigarette factory?-im000152.jpg  
Old 11-06-2002, 04:03 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

CigSteve, hey man, that was one fun weekend!!!! Could you send me a pic of the '"Cigarette" boat sometime? Are you gonna make the next Cig reunion? Just put my boat away and can`t wait to use it again

Kurt.
Old 11-06-2002, 04:34 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

And be sure to take a shower in the World Famous Upstairs Office Don Arronow Party Shower

Last edited by cigarette1; 11-06-2002 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11-06-2002, 09:56 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Kurt, you lost me, which Cigarette boat do you mean?

As for the next reunion - we'll see. We had a blast, but I'm involved in so many local events it's hard to get away.

Quick Reply: Anyone been the the Cigarette factory?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.