Notices

Just the facts....

Old 01-05-2020, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

A comparable 42x is another 100k more than a legacy and still a very basic cabin. The cockpit of a tiger is pretty tight compared to the Legacy also. It really all comes down to your budget and needs/wants.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:33 AM
Registered

Received 463 Likes on 211 Posts

I have heard a few people report on things in person with the OL that are conflicting to what you read online.

1. OL chine walk, higher speeds
2. OL ride not as "solid" as a comparable model Cig. All the OL owners claim they ride like a beast, all Cig owners who have ridden in one complain the ride is not as good. (Chalk it up to brand loyalty? I don't know)
3. Materials not holding up on the OL (i.e.: epoxy finishes "bubbling" or becoming unbonded). This may be older boats that show these issues.

I am curious on the "facts" on this one as I do not typically believe anything until I see it. Yes, I may own a Cig, but I am really interested in a 42 OL or 46 OL, sometime down the road. Hard to get any real life feedback unless you have a friend with one so you can make your own observations.

I doubt it's even possible to get an unbiased evaluation on this board for those that are potential buyers of these used boats down the road. Not looking to start an argument, I love both boats & brands equally.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:56 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 282 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by frickstyle
I have heard a few people report on things in person with the OL that are conflicting to what you read online.

1. OL chine walk, higher speeds
2. OL ride not as "solid" as a comparable model Cig. All the OL owners claim they ride like a beast, all Cig owners who have ridden in one complain the ride is not as good. (Chalk it up to brand loyalty? I don't know)
3. Materials not holding up on the OL (i.e.: epoxy finishes "bubbling" or becoming unbonded). This may be older boats that show these issues.

I am curious on the "facts" on this one as I do not typically believe anything until I see it. Yes, I may own a Cig, but I am really interested in a 42 OL or 46 OL, sometime down the road. Hard to get any real life feedback unless you have a friend with one so you can make your own observations.

I doubt it's even possible to get an unbiased evaluation on this board for those that are potential buyers of these used boats down the road. Not looking to start an argument, I love both boats & brands equally.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:01 AM
Registered

I probably shouldn't have done that.....
Old 01-06-2020, 07:03 AM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

There’s a handful of o/l’s I’ve worked on over the past few years, 37, 39, 42, 46, 52. Never seen any epoxy bubbling. And most of these were not pampered climate controlled stored lake boats.
In fact I’ve yet to see a stress crack in an epoxy boat.
I have seen some delamination on the bottom, but from what I could see, and the guys that fixed it and said it looked like there was damage from a lift or fork lift that was left unattended and water kept getting into the laminate.
I’m sure plenty will have other things to say but I saw the damage, and have seen tons of these boats, and ridden in plenty.
As far as the chine walk, well if you actually know how to run the boat it’s non existent. Just like a top gun always porpoises.... again if you know how to run the boat it’s very easy to keep it flat.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:03 AM
Registered

Thanks for the input, that's actually really helpful and real world first hand experience, appreciate it.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 1,389 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by frickstyle
Thanks for the input, that's actually really helpful and real world first hand experience, appreciate it.
As for the ride I remember years ago one board member talked about the OL compared to a Nortech. His reasoning was that the OL felt a little more harsh, he thought it may have been that a epoxy carbon boat doesn't flex like a fiberglass boat.

Seems to me that would make sense but I have not ridden in a OL.
Maybe someone else with a lot of ride time in the boats can have some input, still think the canopy SV's? are bad ass looking.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:18 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 294 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
. . . it looked like there was damage from a lift or fork lift that was left unattended and water kept getting into the laminate.
. . . .
I have seen my share of delams, this is very correct the damage from rack stored fork lifted boats is substantial. I've seen it over and over, if you have a not so careful or inexperienced lift op they can be doing major damage over time. Its the point loading at the ends of the forks that basically blisters the laminate right off the core and it will compound over time. Once the blistered area gets big enough its just a matter of when it gonna let go, it may be a small sq ft or so area but when it goes it goes big and can sheet the bottom right off. Moral of the story watch your lift op and make sure its coming up level or perpendicular to the forks and no point loading. I will say this its certainly not a manufacturer issue, its just one of those things owners need to know. Nature of the beast when owning a thin high performance laminated boat. Foam cores are dynamic and so the surface can be compromised if your not careful.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-06-2020, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 391 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
I have seen my share of delams, this is very correct the damage from rack stored fork lifted boats is substantial. I've seen it over and over, if you have a not so careful or inexperienced lift op they can be doing major damage over time. Its the point loading at the ends of the forks that basically blisters the laminate right off the core and it will compound over time. Once the blistered area gets big enough its just a matter of when it gonna let go, it may be a small sq ft or so area but when it goes it goes big and can sheet the bottom right off. Moral of the story watch your lift op and make sure its coming up level or perpendicular to the forks and no point loading. I will say this its certainly not a manufacturer issue, its just one of those things owners need to know. Nature of the beast when owning a thin high performance laminated boat. Foam cores are dynamic and so the surface can be compromised if your not careful.
That last sentence is a great nugget of knowledge! Totally makes sense.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
As for the ride I remember years ago one board member talked about the OL compared to a Nortech. His reasoning was that the OL felt a little more harsh, he thought it may have been that a epoxy carbon boat doesn't flex like a fiberglass boat.

Seems to me that would make sense but I have not ridden in a OL.
Maybe someone else with a lot of ride time in the boats can have some input, still think the canopy SV's? are bad ass looking.
the carbon boats are stiffer, I don’t notice a big difference in just the epoxy. But that’s just me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.