Notices

Just the facts....

Old 01-06-2020, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
the carbon boats are stiffer, I don’t notice a big difference in just the epoxy. But that’s just me.
there will be more flex in a vinylester laid up boat I doubt there’s much difference between epoxy and carbon
Old 01-06-2020, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

Epoxy is the resin, carbon is the laminate. Carbon would be in addition to or instead of e glass, s glass etc, epoxy would replace the vinylester. My boat is epoxy, carbon deck.
my buddies 42 is epoxy, all (mostly) carbon and it is noticeably stiffer
Old 01-06-2020, 03:31 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,339 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by AngryandDeranged
Fellow boating enthusiasts,

After a 12 year absence (its amazing how life gets in the way of having fun) I am doing my homework to purchase my next go fast. Previously I owned a ‘00 32’ Sunsation and the only complaint I had was the sun pad was to small. I have always admired Cigarettes (TG), Fountains (light and EX) and Outerlimits (Quattro and legacy) which I am looking at either a 38’ or 42’ in said models.
I am hoping to hear the pro’s and con’s of cabin head room, ride/performance, amenities etc...no detail to small. I could answer my own question if I had all 3 makes sitting in the water and test drives were an option. I am assuming 2x 525’s or better for power. I am asking for your knowledge and opinions. I thank you in advance and it feels good to be back on Offshore Only!
My 42 Tiger might be available.. whole thread on it in the cig section.. just had something pop up that may make me want to move up.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

Got a few notes on the Quattro from when we were looking at them;
04-08 28 made, 4 with a finished v-berth.
600’s run 101mph
700’s 108-110mph Bravos get loose, nxt’s run much smoother.
-From Dan at OL

Heard through the grape vine the blue one with flames, with 600’s gets really loose above 90ish mph. Which is a bravo boat.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 747 Likes on 338 Posts

Whatever one you decide on put a moisture meter and mallet to the hull. Lots of talk regarding build quality but water always wins. Check the thread Division1 has in the cigarette section.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 479 Likes on 219 Posts

Some worthwhile feedback I did receive (more knowledgeable OL people can correct me), Re: the 42ft models - pre-2004 Legacy; wood transom construction = better riding and handling rough waters (Due to a heavier layup?). After 2004 mostly all composite, probably lighter and may not necessarily ride or handle rougher water as well. As far as general handling (top end stability, turning, etc) I have no idea but I assume that's more up to the bottom design which I have very little knowledge of.

I'm just trying to learn here through this thread. Would be nice if the real knowledgeable people would chime in here (owners, dealers, builders, etc), but I understand if they don't.

Some feedback from a few that have ridden in the OL and owned other high end models, comments similar to they handle much like a Hustler, chine walking and questionable top end stability (is that more of a setup issue? People messing with higher drive positioning trying to squeeze out 2-3 mph, props, etc?). I find that hard to swallow as almost all models run over 100mph.... May be attributed to the light but strong layups using the new laminate tech/schedule?

I'm a big fan of the OL models, I would like to have some more understanding of which models/years excel at rougher water stability and handling.

Last edited by frickstyle; 01-07-2020 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by apex svt
Got a few notes on the Quattro from when we were looking at them;
04-08 28 made, 4 with a finished v-berth.
600’s run 101mph
700’s 108-110mph Bravos get loose, nxt’s run much smoother.
-From Dan at OL

Heard through the grape vine the blue one with flames, with 600’s gets really loose above 90ish mph. Which is a bravo boat.
who was running it? I’ve been 96 in mine no issues. I will say I trim up before going full throttle not the other way around. Combats transom lift
Old 01-07-2020, 07:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by frickstyle
Some worthwhile feedback I did receive (more knowledgeable OL people can correct me), Re: the 42ft models - pre-2004 Legacy; wood transom construction = better riding and handling rough waters (Due to a heavier layup?). After 2004 mostly all composite, probably lighter and may not necessarily ride or handle rougher water as well. As far as general handling (top end stability, turning, etc) I have no idea but I assume that's more up to the bottom design which I have very little knowledge of.

I'm just trying to learn here through this thread. Would be nice if the real knowledgeable people would chime in here (owners, dealers, builders, etc), but I understand if they don't.

Some feedback from a few that have ridden in the OL and owned other high end models, comments similar to they handle much like a Hustler, chine walking and questionable top end stability (is that more of a setup issue? People messing with higher drive positioning trying to squeeze out 2-3 mph, props, etc?). I find that hard to swallow as almost all models run over 100mph.... May be attributed to the light but strong layups using the new laminate tech/schedule?

I'm a big fan of the OL models, I would like to have some more understanding of which models/years excel at rougher water stability and handling.
some of it is setup, and late 04 or 05 starting with Paul’s triple 525 they made some step changes that changed the low speed handling for the better, top end seems the same.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Nobody talking about Fountains yet???
Old 01-07-2020, 09:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,164 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by ALL_IN!
Nobody talking about Fountains yet???
I was wondering myself......
Theres a couple of nice looking 42's in the classifieds at the moment

https://www.offshoreonly.com/classif...es-o76763.html

https://www.offshoreonly.com/classif...ng-o76791.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.