Notices

Looking for 1000hp + pair

Old 03-09-2020, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 302Sport
Crazy market for sure!! It’s the best it’s been since the glory days of powerboating. Simple fact is nobody wants carbed, roots blower, pushrod, 1970’s technology anymore.
I'm not sure how you can make either of those statements. "Best it's been since the glory days". Really! I agree there are people with very deep pockets that are able to buy whatever they are in the mood for on that particular day. But, when the thrill is gone many of these high 6 to low 7 digit priced boats hit the used boat market a year or two later at 40-50% off. And they sit there! They are not scooped up overnight. Remember when the OSO classified's had 900+ boats listed? Those days the boats sold and new ones took their place. Now it's the same 300+ over and over again.

Are you saying every boat soon will come with a Mercury QC4V. Unlikely. "Carbed, roots blower, pushrod, 1970's technology". Tell that to all the pushrod engines still coming out of Detroit. Roots blowers work well and are highly dependable which is why they are still used extensively all over the marine and automotive market. Yes, there hasn't been a carburetor on a car since 1987, but they still out sell fuel injection today buy a whole bunch. Why? because they make as much horsepower at far less money and are way easier for the average back yard mechanic to use. Before you jump all over me about fuel injection idling better, and being able to re program instantly to changing atmospheric conditions, altitude, etc. I do concede that. The problem as I see it is there is still more to go wrong with the electronics than I am capable of diagnosing and taking care of. So, for me I stick with carburetors. But this thread started as a guy looking for 1000hp with modern amenities. Fine throw the carbs in the trash and put on somebodies fuel injection......good luck.
Old 03-09-2020, 05:50 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 302Sport
Crazy market for sure!! It’s the best it’s been since the glory days of powerboating. Simple fact is nobody wants carbed, roots blower, pushrod, 1970’s technology anymore.
I'm not sure how you can make either of those statements. "Best it's been since the glory days". Really! I agree there are people with very deep pockets that are able to buy whatever they are in the mood for on that particular day. But, when the thrill is gone many of these high 6 to low 7 digit priced boats hit the used boat market a year or two later at 40-50% off. And they sit there! They are not scooped up overnight. Remember when the OSO classified's had 900+ boats listed? Those days the boats sold and new ones took their place. Now it's the same 300+ over and over again.

Are you saying every boat soon will come with a Mercury QC4V. Unlikely. "Carbed, roots blower, pushrod, 1970's technology". Tell that to all the pushrod engines still coming out of Detroit. Roots blowers work well and are highly dependable which is why they are still used extensively all over the marine and automotive market. Yes, there hasn't been a carburetor on a car since 1987, but they still out sell fuel injection today buy a whole bunch. Why? because they make as much horsepower at far less money and are way easier for the average back yard mechanic to use. Before you jump all over me about fuel injection idling better, and being able to re program instantly to changing atmospheric conditions, altitude, etc. I do concede that. The problem as I see it is there is still more to go wrong with the electronics than I am capable of diagnosing and taking care of. So, for me I stick with carburetors. But this thread started as a guy looking for 1000hp with modern amenities. Fine throw the carbs in the trash and put on somebodies fuel injection......good luck.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 272 Likes on 91 Posts

Bought a pair. Thanks guys
Old 03-14-2020, 12:37 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,967 Likes on 988 Posts

Originally Posted by open87
Originally Posted by 1MOSES1
Weren't you in buyer beware last year for peddling a junk trailer?
It was not open87, but it was the seller in the classified. I think open87 was just posting a link he saw.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Griff is correct Open 87 was not the con with the trailer. The link to the engines he posted is the seller too stay clear of! I wouldn't believe anything that guy says!