New-to-me boat:  Where to start? >

New-to-me boat: Where to start?

Notices

New-to-me boat: Where to start?

Old 03-19-2020, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New-to-me boat: Where to start?

I just purchased a 1995 Bayliner 2355 Ciera boat. I live on the Chesapeake Bay, and while I've been fishing my local area for years, I'll probably be moving in the next few years and leaving this beautiful area for good. So, before I go, I wanted to actually travel the bay a bit and do some sight-seeing......and be able to drop anchor and overnight in the boat if the spirit moved me! This Bayliner seemed a good choice, as it's got two sleeping berths, a galley, a head, and enough size to travel the bay relatively safely under most conditions. I fish the bay in a 15 foot center console, so by comparison, this boat is a monster!!

The prior owner indicated the boat had a few problems, and offered it to me for a good price......... so I purchased it where it sat, which is in a marina on blocks and still under shrink wrap. I've yet to actually 'see the whole boat'!! BUT....... I've been inside the thing numerous times now, and it's quite clean overall, and appears in good shape. However, of the few problems noted to me, the most significant of them are 1) an engine overheating problem, and 2) an outdrive that would go down but not up (or so he said). As both these problems keep the boat from being seaworthy, I'm attacking them both simultaneously.....as 'parts' and weather affect my ability to simply complete one task or the other. As it stands right now, I've removed the outdrive, and it's in the back of my pickup truck with a seized front pivot rod where the tilt/trim rams attach. My plan is to simply replace the water pump in the outdrive and just service it as per usual. I also wanted to check the gimble bearing (which looks great), and I'll probably replace the main bellows while I'm at it. As to the problem with tilt/trim, I believe I've located it, being a problem with the limiter switch. I took it apart and cleaned the tabs and now have both 'up' and 'down'....BUT.....it's VERY SLOW, hangs up, and acts like the system is binding somewhere. The outdrive itself pivots up and down perfectly well, so I'm suspect of the rams. My plan is to service that system as well, including flushing the whole thing. I have a bad feeling I may be on the hook to replace a bad ram....or two! We'll see.

Anyway, the other part of this project is at the engine. Given the age of this boat, as well as it's unknown maintenance history, I decided to pull exhaust manifolds and risers and simply replace them. Good thing, as I found that not only are there two different riser between port and starboard, but that the port riser was virtually 100% blocked.....and it had mushroomed and cracked from poor 'winterizing'....AND.... the riser itself was leaking externally at the wall area where one of the 4 mounting studs went through it. This, in turn, had caused the stud to rust-lock to the riser.....and it was a devil of a task to remove the thing. I actually had to remove riser, spacer, and manifold as one assembly. At 68 years of age, this was a challenge to pull what felt like about 100 pounds of cast iron out from under bilge of this boat. Add to this the the limited space from being still under the shrink wrap, and.....well.........not fun! But, glad I did it, as this was clearly a problem. And, according to the parts guide for my engine, this was the wrong riser as well. Evidently there are 3 different types; a 'straight' exit type, and 7 degree exit, and a 15 degree exit type. Parts book says mine take the 7 degree type.....so that's what I have on order. I'll be replacing both manifolds, both 3" spacer blocks, and both risers. While the manifolds are off, I'm changing spark plugs and waiting for a warm day to do an oil and filter change as well.

Assuming I get the engine all buttoned up with new spark plugs, new exhaust manifolds and risers, fresh oil and filter, and a cleaned air filter....... I think I'll be ready to start the engine. And, if I get the outdrive serviced with fresh oil and a new water pump impeller (and housing if necessary)....and replaced main bellows..... I think that part will be ready as well. Finally, I'll need to get the tilt/trim sorted out.....but I think that's heading in the right direction as well. The hull itself appears in great shape, and was had a fresh coat of bottom paint by the marina prior to being 'shrink wrapped' for the winter. So, once all this is engine/outdrive stuff is done, good batteries installed, and a successful 'land start' completed with favorable results......my question is: Am I forgetting ANYTHING ELSE that might be a critical function to being 'seaworthy'?

Thanks for reading this.......and for any comments/suggestions.............. Tom D.

Last edited by Wharfcreek; 03-19-2020 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 438 Likes on 260 Posts

If the engine was not winterized properly than I would be concerned about block and heads. This could get costly.

Last edited by underpsi68; 03-19-2020 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Good luck with the boat. Be it a Bayliner or a Skater, when we're on the water we are all boating brothers!
Old 03-19-2020, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 254 Likes on 140 Posts

Welcome to OSO.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys........ Yea, I'm a bit worried about all kinds of things 'not done right' in the past on this boat. Today I pulled the outdrive in half to change the water pump impeller, and about every bolt I touched was loose. I'm sure this is just indicative of 'other problems'....... but, for now I have to take it one step at a time. The good news is that when draining the outdrive I didn't see any signs of leakage. The old fluid looked great.......so, who knows. Maybe it was replaced last year prior to putting it up for the winter. The gent I purchased the boat from didn't own it for even a year. I know they used it for all of a month or so toward the end of last season, then encountered this over heating problem, and ended up just having the boat hauled, hull cleaned and bottom painted, then winterized and covered in shrink wrap. I was told that an attempt to 'fix' the overheating problem was attempted by changing the thermostat, but no real test was completed as the boat was already out of the water for the winter. Somewhere around the first of the year I guess the owner made a decision to just 'off' the boat.....which is where I came in. The owner told me about the overheating, his effort with replacing the thermostat, and the problem with the tilt/trim. He also indicated a few other minor issues, like the fresh water tank not being hooked up. But, he said he though the guy that sold the boat to him rather misrepresented it......so he just wanted to dump the thing. He did say the engine ran well.......and he is a up-coming auto mechanic at a car dealership. So, hopefully he didn't lie about the engine. As to the rest of it.....guess I'll just take it as it comes. One day.....and one 'project' at a time!!

Tom D.