Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Bahamas are back! June 15 for private vessels. >

Bahamas are back! June 15 for private vessels.

Notices

Bahamas are back! June 15 for private vessels.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:57 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bahamas are back! June 15 for private vessels.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet so I figured I would throw it out there (now that I have booked all of the slips and condos I need for my trip ) that the Bahamas are open to international leisure travelers as of June 15! I have not seen this widely publicized; everything I have seen says July 1. It is true that non-Bahamians are not being allowed to enter via commercial means (airline, ferry, cruise) until July 1, but private vessels and private aircraft can enter on June 15. I am taking a group of four over from Miami Jun 26-Jul 3, so I have learned a few things about what you need to do to make it happen. There are a couple of new hoops to jump through, but it is doable. The two biggest things are that everyone going must have a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR test within 10 days of arrival, and must file a "Government of Bahamas Ministry of Health - Application to Travel" form at least five business days in advance. If you are going to go to multiple islands, you will also need to print and carry a "Domestic Health Travel Card" with you. This is all of course in addition to the usual customs forms.

Interestingly, we have found that the further into the Bahamas we looked, the easier it was to make reservations. The Exumas are very excited about the reopening, and everywhere we called was ready for business. Nassau/New Providence was hit-or-miss. The Berries are mostly ready to go. Bimini, on the other hand, is still pretty much locked down. The major places there (Big Game, Resorts World) are staying closed until July 1. I cannot speak to Eleuthera, Long Island, or the Abacos as those are not part of my itinerary this year. I would guess the Abacos and Grand Bahama are probably still reeling from Dorian, regardless of the whole COVID-19 situation.

In case anyone is interested in making the trip before July 1, here are couple links to get you started:

Useful article detailing requirements for Bahamas entry
Bahamas Ministry of Health applications for travel and affidavit for inter-island travel (my research indicated the parts about "quarantine" apparently can be ignored for travel on or after June 15, the forms just aren't updated yet)

If there are any new developments, I'll do my best to keep this thread updated.

Last edited by traumamed; 06-10-2020 at 03:08 AM. Reason: fixing link
Old 06-10-2020, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 938 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by traumamed
I haven't seen it mentioned yet so I figured I would throw it out there (now that I have booked all of the slips and condos I need for my trip ) that the Bahamas are open to international leisure travelers as of June 15! I have not seen this widely publicized; everything I have seen says July 1. It is true that non-Bahamians are not being allowed to enter via commercial means (airline, ferry, cruise) until July 1, but private vessels and private aircraft can enter on June 15. I am taking a group of four over from Miami Jun 26-Jul 3, so I have learned a few things about what you need to do to make it happen. There are a couple of new hoops to jump through, but it is doable. The two biggest things are that everyone going must have a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR test within 10 days of arrival, and must file a "Government of Bahamas Ministry of Health - Application to Travel" form at least five business days in advance. If you are going to go to multiple islands, you will also need to print and carry a "Domestic Health Travel Card" with you. This is all of course in addition to the usual customs forms.

Interestingly, we have found that the further into the Bahamas we looked, the easier it was to make reservations. The Exumas are very excited about the reopening, and everywhere we called was ready for business. Nassau/New Providence was hit-or-miss. The Berries are mostly ready to go. Bimini, on the other hand, is still pretty much locked down. The major places there (Big Game, Resorts World) are staying closed until July 1. I cannot speak to Eleuthera, Long Island, or the Abacos as those are not part of my itinerary this year. I would guess the Abacos and Grand Bahama are probably still reeling from Dorian, regardless of the whole COVID-19 situation.

In case anyone is interested in making the trip before July 1, here are couple links to get you started:

Useful article detailing requirements for Bahamas entry
Bahamas Ministry of Health applications for travel and affidavit for inter-island travel (my research indicated the parts about "quarantine" apparently can be ignored for travel on or after June 15, the forms just aren't updated yet)

If there are any new developments, I'll do my best to keep this thread updated.

They also raised the "cruising permit" price for larger boats. The VAT tax went up also 12.5%........It was zero, then 7.5% about 3 years ago and now 12.5%. Current entry fees are as follows:
a) For boats up to 35′, the fee is $150.00
b) For boats over 35′, the fee is $300.00

Updated fees effective Jan. 1, 2020 are as follows:
Up to 34’: $150 for 3 months; $300 annually
35’ – 100’: $300 for 3 months; $600 annually
100’ – 150’: $500 for 3 months; $1,000 annually
150’ – 200’: $800 for 3 months; $1,600 annually
Over 200’: $1,000 for 3 months; $2,000 annually

I think your June 15th trip might be too early, places won't be ready for tourists but hopefully you bring everything you might need and enjoy an uncrowded Bahamas.
Old 06-10-2020, 11:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
They also raised the "cruising permit" price for larger boats. The VAT tax went up also 12.5%........It was zero, then 7.5% about 3 years ago and now 12.5%.

I think your June 15th trip might be too early, places won't be ready for tourists but hopefully you bring everything you might need and enjoy an uncrowded Bahamas.
Death and taxes. Going to the Bahamas is not a trip you do on a budget. Between the spare parts you have to/should carry, the cost of fuel and dockage, and I guess well the general cost of everything there, it's just plain expensive.

Yes we are actually looking forward to an uncrowded Bahamas. You are correct that not everywhere will be open, but many places are planning to be. Granted, we are going later in the month, not right at June 15. But we are pretty self-sufficient. Our three biggest concerns were fuel, slip/hotel accommodations, and finding places to refill our scuba tanks. At least as of June 26, it's not a major problem really anywhere we checked except Bimini. For some reason Bimini is staying buttoned up for the most part. That was surprising to us, as the proximity to the Miami area always makes it a big draw. They have to be hurting for the tourist dollars pretty badly by now.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bump
Old 06-12-2020, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 938 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by traumamed
Death and taxes. Going to the Bahamas is not a trip you do on a budget. Between the spare parts you have to/should carry, the cost of fuel and dockage, and I guess well the general cost of everything there, it's just plain expensive.

Yes we are actually looking forward to an uncrowded Bahamas. You are correct that not everywhere will be open, but many places are planning to be. Granted, we are going later in the month, not right at June 15. But we are pretty self-sufficient. Our three biggest concerns were fuel, slip/hotel accommodations, and finding places to refill our scuba tanks. At least as of June 26, it's not a major problem really anywhere we checked except Bimini. For some reason Bimini is staying buttoned up for the most part. That was surprising to us, as the proximity to the Miami area always makes it a big draw. They have to be hurting for the tourist dollars pretty badly by now.
Fuel can be a concern if the fuel barge doesn't show up. I've been in Bimini when there is NO FUEL. I ran out on the way to Cat Cay (literally 1000 yards from their marina) and they sold me 10 gallons (enough to get the rental boat back to Bimini Sands). They told me that was all they would sell me as a guest of Cat. I remember trying to buy a stick of butter in Bimini and there was none (for the lobsters we had). Luckily an American was going home and literally gave me lemons/butter/spices for the lobster dinner. If they have no money, the stores will have no stock.

I just wonder if the Bahamas understands that with their increased taxes they are going to reduce tourism.............which is their primary industry!

With the cruise ships gone and resorts closed the Bahamian people are going to be in trouble in 2020 unless they get a lot of visitors. Crime will likely rise which again hurts tourism.
The following users liked this post:
underpsi68 (06-12-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 08:23 AM
Registered

UPDATE TO BAHAMAS ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
I can't seem to edit post #1 anymore, so adding this post to give the update on Bahamas entry. The process has been simplified dramatically. All that has to be done is go to travel.gov.bs, choose "International," fill out the form, upload the COVID-19 result, and submit. Then check your email and you should instantly have a Bahamas Travel Approval Form in your email. Note that everyone going needs to submit a form individually, not just one person per party, and one form must be submitted for every island that will be visited. So if you plan to go to the Exumas and Long Island, each person going would submit the form twice, once for each respective island/island chain that is your destination. Also remember that you still have to do the standard paperwork that you present on arrival. The online form is in addition to that paperwork.

I believe - but don't quote me on this - that as of July 1, this form will not be required but proof of a negative COVID-19 result within 10 days will still be mandated.

As far as facilities go, I strongly recommend calling ahead and being very specific about your plans, even if you travel after July 1. There are many places that are open and operating at this very moment, but there are also many that are not opening until well after the July 1 general reopening of the borders. Fuel seems readily available and in stock, but hours are being restricted at many marinas, even more so on weekends, so make sure your tanks are full by Friday afternoon. If you decide to stay at VRBO/Airbnb-type places, you may find yourself educating the owner on the gov't policies currently in place, as many of the property managers are not up on the latest requirements and restrictions. Most are happy to work with you though, and grateful to see business returning.

Here are a few of the bigger destinations of which I am aware and their current operating status. This will be my last update before I leave for my trip, but I will update with firsthand info when I return (and pictures of course).

BIMINI
Big Game - opening 7/1
Resorts World - opening 7/1

BERRY ISLANDS
Chub Cay Marina/Resort - marina, fuel dock, and cottages all open
Great Harbour Cay Marina - fuel dock open with restricted hours

NASSAU/PARADISE ISLAND
Vast majority of marinas and fuel docks are open
Atlantis - opening July 7 with some limitations and restricted hours (e.g. the water park is never fully open on a given day, different parts open on alternating days)
Baha Mar - some stuff is open, some stuff isn't; e.g. Grand Hyatt is not reopening until 10/1/20
Palm Cay Marina and lodging - open
Stuart Cove dive shop - opening 7/3

EXUMAS
-As usual, somewhat difficult to get info as a lot of places do not have web sites and often don't answer the phone. I do not find this to be a new experience this year or a sign that things are not open. I have never had great success reaching out-islanders prior to trips in the past. The places I could reach all told me they were already open on at least a limited capacity, or would by by 7/1, and that most businesses were operating on a restricted basis. I was focusing on Staniel area and Great Exuma Island as that is where I will be spending most of my Exumas time this trip.
-Staniel Cay Yacht Club and Marina - marina, lodging, fuel dock, and limited portions of the restaurant are open
-Most stuff on Great Exuma Island is starting to open on at least a limited capacity.

Last edited by traumamed; 06-24-2020 at 04:00 PM. Reason: updating info
The following users liked this post:
Bobthebuilder (06-24-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts

All the preperation sounds like a good idea (that was my train of thought, when we went).
Had all my ducks in a row. Literally had to make 3-5 trips back and forth from boat to station in order to satisfy the goofs in Bimini. (Filled out every form again at least once)

(I did have a firearm and even the re entry paperwork for US CUSTOMS signed and notorized.)

It was a compete unorganized joke on the end of the officials there.

Completely loved my time cruising and enjoying the water. The people were friendly... but the government, i wouldnt trust with a pack of gum.

just stay calm and do what they ask lol. It may take 4-5 hours.