Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Considering an outboard cat....or maybe a center counsel >

Considering an outboard cat....or maybe a center counsel

Notices

Considering an outboard cat....or maybe a center counsel

Old 06-22-2020, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 807 Likes on 455 Posts

To the OP, if you just left a 50 Marquis and all it's creature comforts, aside from the speed of the cat on a few Ft runs, you may find the boating a major shift.

Straight up example, if you bought a CC and your best friend bought an OB cat, chances are that you will be entertaining your friend on your boat than you find yourself in the Cat. The cats are an amazing boat but the practicality is had to get past when you just want to go out for a cruise with x people, good speed, soft ride of a V and I have yet to see a lady look down at a boat that had a head (even if its never been used).

Ultimately you have to put your priorities in line....my suggestion is to try to run a cat and a CC and see which one suits your lifestyle expectations, the versatility of high end SUV or the Ferrari?... (and who wouldn't want the Ferrari as there will never be a replacement for displacement nor speed)

Last edited by speicher lane; 06-22-2020 at 05:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kreed (06-23-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Spent some time in a 34’ nor tech over the weekend and have many hours in a 39’. 39’ is the way to go for the ocean.
Old 06-22-2020, 08:13 PM
Can You Hear Me Now??
Gold Member

Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
That's a great looking boat Noli.

I think I will always want to satisfy the cat itch. Hoping one day I can, but I will admit insurance costs, etc.... Are considerations.....
Seafordguy I guess I should look into insurance as well. That’s how long I ha e been out of performance boating I never gave it a thought.
Old 06-22-2020, 08:18 PM
Can You Hear Me Now??
Gold Member

Originally Posted by speicher lane
To the OP, if you just left a 50 Marquis and all it's creature comforts, aside from the speed of the cat on a few Ft runs, you may find the boating a major shift.

Straight up example, if you bought a CC and your best friend bought an OB cat, chances are that you will be entertaining your friend on your boat than you find yourself in the Cat. The cats are an amazing boat but the practicality is had to get past when you just want to go out for a cruise with x people, good speed, soft ride of a V and I have yet to see a lady look down at a boat that had a head (even if its never been used).

Ultimately you have to put your priorities in line....my suggestion is to try to run a cat and a CC and see which one suits your lifestyle expectations, the versatility of high end SUV or the Ferrari?... (and who wouldn't want the Ferrari as there will never be a replacement for displacement nor speed)
all great points and it probably sums up my thoughts but I hate the practical thing. The cat would be fun but could grow old. Thanks for the reply!
Old 06-22-2020, 09:32 PM
Registered

Received 222 Likes on 105 Posts

Boating on Long Island I would think a CC would be a better option than a Cat. They are are comfortable and have better options with respect to seating, a head and are frankly a easy to park with respect to visibility. Of the Cat owners I know here at LOTO they all have another boat besides a Cat and there is a reason why. As a Cig CC owner if your looking a Nortech is hands down the better option with respect to Manf. That being said used CC's bring top dollar as the trend for these boats is at its apex at present.
Old 06-23-2020, 04:12 AM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts

If it were just myself and a friend, I'd opt for a cat. If you want to entertain, I'd think a cc is a better option.
The following users liked this post:
rak rua (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 06:38 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 77 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by kreed
BONDO10 what about that 32 Sonic cat? Was that worth looking at?
Fun boat. I ran the factory boat with 400's in Key West when I had my 42 there.Very stable and predictable. A few miles off the competitors, but also substantially less money. The Red and Gold one was kicking around for short money a while ago. Never really understood the paint scheme with that one...Obviously the resale is going to be night and day to one of the major manufacturers.
I think you should call Jason, and be first in line for an outboard Outerlimits Cat.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tony Canale at Sonic has the 36' Ocean Spirit CC in that price range and is a very well reviewed boat. I believe he has one half way built right now. That would give you the opportunity to pick your own interior and paint. The 32' Cat would be in your range also. He's currently building 2 and one will be a carbon fiber hybrid..
Tony Canale 770-616-9751
Old 06-23-2020, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 600 Likes on 359 Posts

Ask about the center consoles instead of center counsels when you show up to the dealership. They’ll probably take you more seriously
The following 4 users liked this post by hogie roll:
ancho (10-05-2020), Nate5.0 (06-23-2020), PigNaPoke (06-24-2020), sonicss42 (06-24-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 06:07 PM
Can You Hear Me Now??
Gold Member

Originally Posted by hogie roll
Ask about the center consoles instead of center counsels when you show up to the dealership. They’ll probably take you more seriously
oh crap you are right.