Notices

43 Midnight Carbon Layup

Old 06-23-2020, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 43 Midnight Carbon Layup

Wonder how much it costs the Midnight Express factory or any boat builder for that matter to build a 43ft center console in a full carbon fiber layup with quint 450R's hanging off the back. Other than the weight savings and speed increase and obvious cost differential. Would you want a full carbon fiber boat? Do Carbon layups give a better ride in the rough? They are stiffer but lighter so wondering how that trade off works out in ocean swells.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 1,249 Likes on 604 Posts

This might help ya.
Carbon vs Fibre glass
Old 06-24-2020, 12:51 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thank you for this. It was alluded to this in that thread, but it seems that carbon boats are more susceptible to catastrophic failure unless designed/engineered/layed up to perfection given the lack of flexibility. I would be a little nervous to spend the big bucks on a hull layup in carbon to have it snap running through 4-6ft ocean swells. The amount of pressure could find that weak point and cause all sorts of havoc. There haven't been many boats built with full carbon layups that I am aware of. Wonder if its all that its cracked up to be and worth it in the end.

Originally Posted by Rookie
This might help ya.
Carbon vs Fibre glass
Old 06-24-2020, 02:59 AM
Registered

Received 656 Likes on 302 Posts

The technology is moving along at good pace and the prices of materials and equipment are coming down in comparison to 10 years ago. These are two good articles to read.
1: https://www.yachtsinternational.com/...-the-new-black

2: https://dcbperformanceboats.com/construction/

The design of the boat is of greater interest to me. Nothing is more important than a great nautical architect. A seaworthy design that exceeds its user's needs is paramount, and no vacuum infused resin method with state of the art alloys of carbon composites is gonna do much for a lousy engineered vessel, so sea trials of potential boat models and feedback from very experienced owners and boat testers are a crucial necessity imho.

There are plenty of cutting-edge-material made boats on the market, but are their builders really mastering the manufacturing methods needed to produce a superior boat? This Sunseeker 38 Hawk is a well-known example of a boat that truly is delivering the latest and greatest in tech. Now if one wants a 55' center console, well then many ingredients, quantities and materials will have to be totally reconsidered. Everything is a compromise, nothing in life is perfect, so the beauty is in the evolution of things created and our ability to fully appreciate with gratitude whatever vessel we are fortunate enough to experience while out on the water.

Last edited by larslindroth; 06-24-2020 at 03:26 AM.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

theres a midnight express on the south shore of longisland ,i think a 43 with 5 -450r he said 1.3 mil
Old 06-24-2020, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Order a new Outerlimits CC. Epoxy build and they do boats in full Carbon
Old 06-24-2020, 06:00 PM
Registered

Received 468 Likes on 256 Posts

i few on here might remember the JBS mystic story and delam