Registered

Received 300 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by tmmii
didnt that one flip and sink?
That’s the one.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:03 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

800-900 hp with a Blackhawk sounds like a viable combination. Good luck. If the one that sank was the black one at the shootout, it had a modified hull and a pad added. The driver, on an adrenaline rush did not back off the throttle when the boat got squirrely. Glad he was not badly hurt. There are 22 Classics running more hp and running very stable.
The following 3 users liked this post by thirdchildhood:
larslindroth (08-16-2020), OLDRAT (08-10-2020), SB (08-12-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting. Why the 22 Classic though? There are so many great fast boats out there. I like the Classic as a cruiser but they aren't the best hull designs. If it has to be the Classic, I'd focus on the bottom and strengthening the boat up before going bonkers on an expensive engine and drive. It has a rounded keel, so you're going to want to add a pad potentially. Some fast ones don't have a pad and rely on running on the K planes. Either way, it's going to be a dangerous ride.

I'd just do a super clean resto, basic big block and Bravo. Keep it a Classic cruiser.
Old 08-12-2020, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by blacktruck
Interesting. Why the 22 Classic though? There are so many great fast boats out there. I like the Classic as a cruiser but they aren't the best hull designs. If it has to be the Classic, I'd focus on the bottom and strengthening the boat up before going bonkers on an expensive engine and drive. It has a rounded keel, so you're going to want to add a pad potentially. Some fast ones don't have a pad and rely on running on the K planes. Either way, it's going to be a dangerous ride.

I'd just do a super clean resto, basic big block and Bravo. Keep it a Classic cruiser.
My issue is not that I don’t want a bigger boat, it’s that I live on a smaller lake that really is kind of limited to 23 or 24 foot boat. The Blackhawk I have now is marginal and has long enough legs that it’s almost not practical in my lake.

The issue I have is that the Blackhawk does not have the kinds of things that I would like in a boat, and because it’s an unmolested boat with very low hours, I don’t feel modifying it is smart, but instead build a 22 of the content I do want.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sandslot
My issue is not that I don’t want a bigger boat, it’s that I live on a smaller lake that really is kind of limited to 23 or 24 foot boat. The Blackhawk I have now is marginal and has long enough legs that it’s almost not practical in my lake.

The issue I have is that the Blackhawk does not have the kinds of things that I would like in a boat, and because it’s an unmolested boat with very low hours, I don’t feel modifying it is smart, but instead build a 22 of the content I do want.
I never said anything about a bigger boat. But if you already have it, then I get it. Making slow boats fast is difficult though. I'd stick to a Bravo XR setup with stock big block power. 22 Classic over 80 or 90 is just bad. Cool boats for cruising. If you're planning on big power and 90 + MPH, Bravo XR sportmaster, add a narrow pad, 6.5" to 7", kplanes and focus on balancing it, with the CG more rearward than stock. And life insurance.
The following users liked this post:
larslindroth (08-16-2020)
Old 08-12-2020, 01:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 508 Likes on 279 Posts

I bought a Chris Craft 23' Scorpion with a 454 and ASD6 drive for $3,600.00. All I wanted was the drive. Its now on a 233 Caravelle with a Audi/VW V6 twin turbo. Still working on computer glitches to make it work but pretty cool project. If you look around and are not in a hurry, the parts you want may come available reasonably priced.
The following 2 users liked this post by resurrected:
larslindroth (08-16-2020), Smarty (08-12-2020)
Old 08-12-2020, 01:47 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by resurrected
I bought a Chris Craft 23' Scorpion with a 454 and ASD6 drive for $3,600.00. All I wanted was the drive. Its now on a 233 Caravelle with a Audi/VW V6 twin turbo. Still working on computer glitches to make it work but pretty cool project. If you look around and are not in a hurry, the parts you want may come available reasonably priced.
Yes, that’s what I’m after. I understand that there’s other ways to do it in different boats to meet my objectives partially, but I really want a 22 with a surface drive. It would be unique and I’d like to build one. I’m not soliciting ideas on what to build in place of it, just what I need to put that package together.

its knowing what to look for (aka ASD6) that I’m after. Just learning
The following 2 users liked this post by sandslot:
larslindroth (08-16-2020), thirdchildhood (08-12-2020)
Old 08-12-2020, 02:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 508 Likes on 279 Posts

I don't know much about them, knew nothing before buying one.
They are really simple, most parts that I would consider consumable are just off the shelf stuff.
You will want to look for one with a drop box, ASD6 have helical cut gears that can take a max hp of somewhere around 500 I think. But straight cut gears would solve that.
The hull shape and center of mass have a huge bearing on how well it will work. On a surface drive boat you want some rocker and absolutely no hook.
Do some looking, and if you find a potential drive, ask questions about it specifically.
The following 2 users liked this post by resurrected:
HabanaJoe (08-12-2020), larslindroth (08-16-2020)
Old 08-12-2020, 02:53 PM
Registered

If that's the case, ya a donor boat with an existing ASD might be economical or a bravo conversion kit. Fun project for sure. You can find some Donzi guys that have done it too for reference, there's a few around.

Bravo Conversion | Arneson Industries
Old 08-12-2020, 02:54 PM
Registered

Donzi 22 with ASD 6

Last edited by blacktruck; 08-12-2020 at 02:57 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by blacktruck:
HabanaJoe (08-12-2020), larslindroth (08-16-2020), resurrected (08-12-2020), thirdchildhood (08-12-2020)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.