Classic 22 surface drive conversion >

Classic 22 surface drive conversion

Notices

Classic 22 surface drive conversion

Old 08-13-2020, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Yes. The one I posted of Bjorn is a stock hull. The one that crashed had a pad added and the bustle. And, yes, the pressure to make a fast run and adrenaline got the best of the driver. He obviously should have backed out of it when it started rocking back and forth.
sounds reasonable and logical. Is that the boat? Also, what’s a pad? I assume it’s in back
Old 08-13-2020, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by sandslot
sounds reasonable and logical. Is that the boat? Also, what’s a pad? I assume it’s in back
It's the flat part at the rear of the hull bottom. Ours are round. Yes that's the boat that crashed and it was heavily modified and to use it to infer that a Donzi 22 Classic is inherently unstable at speed is wrong. It clearly did not balance well on the added pad.

Old 08-13-2020, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 1,312 Likes on 639 Posts

so is the thought the 22 can’t go fast or did the driver make a fatal error not catching the instability sooner and finally, couldn’t any boat under 25’ or so do that? I’m asking not telling!
Yes any boat can do that. But there are threads on here and other forums that specifically talk about the 22 being "unpredictable" and "dangerous". This is a drivers boat. Just be careful and know yours and the boats limitations.
This is one of my favorite quotes from one of the threads.
Originally Posted by snave8
I've been driving stern drives, a V drive 4 point hydro (beismeyer) and outboards for 40 years and have never experienced a boat so "complicated" to drive. I own and fly an amphibious seaplane that's parked next to it........the airplane is a walk in the park on the water compared to my 22.
The following users liked this post:
larslindroth (08-16-2020)
Old 08-14-2020, 06:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rookie
Yes any boat can do that. But there are threads on here and other forums that specifically talk about the 22 being "unpredictable" and "dangerous". This is a drivers boat. Just be careful and know yours and the boats limitations.
This is one of my favorite quotes from one of the threads.
agree and thanks for the added info. I’ve had several 22s including a Blackhawk now and they can be a handful, especially the BH. I don’t allow others to drive it for that reason.

I’m really into Donzis, but curious what would you say is the most stable/easy to drive and rough-water capable boat overall under 24? Cigarette? Other?
larslindroth (08-16-2020)
Old 08-14-2020, 07:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 508 Likes on 279 Posts

agree and thanks for the added info. I’ve had several 22s including a Blackhawk now and they can be a handful, especially the BH. I don’t allow others to drive it for that reason.

I’m really into Donzis, but curious what would you say is the most stable/easy to drive and rough-water capable boat overall under 24? Cigarette? Other?
I vote Formula 233
larslindroth (08-15-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 02:17 AM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 345 Posts

Ditto. Formula 233 up to 60 knots for most of us. Donzi X-18 >100 knots for the special few.

Last edited by larslindroth; 08-15-2020 at 02:30 AM.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by resurrected
I vote Formula 233
did you mean Formula 233?
Old 08-16-2020, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

The Classics definitely take time to master but driving one is very rewarding after you do so! I also cannot let anyone else drive my boat which is a bummer sometimes because I'd love to ski behind it. I'm not contesting that they are difficult to drive but there are many that run above or close to triple digits and that modified one is the only one I know of that crashed.
The following 2 users liked this post by thirdchildhood:
larslindroth (08-16-2020), sandslot (08-16-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

Passenger oh sh!t
Driver, you can see the smile even with the helmet

Last edited by outonsafari; 08-16-2020 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-16-2020, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 125 Likes on 79 Posts

I have also been entrigued with a less than 25 ft hull and a surface drive for the last 20 years! I think about it often... I had a classic 22 with a Bravo and a 600HP BBC...25 yrs ago. It could be a hand full if you werent in flat water...It also was a ton of fun in 1ft chop. I had many rides where I was concerned that I had gone beyond its limits and thought "this isnt the right hull to be running over 80 MPH in"... but at the same time, the boat totally surprised me MANY times in a good way!.... The one thing that I always have to remind myself of when running any boat fast is that no matter how much experience I have, or what "amazing" hull I am driving...the WATER IS THE EQUALIZER. No boat ride is the same twice. You just never know what mother nature has planned 500 FT ahead of you...especially at 100 MPH....its impossible to master the water conditions. I wish you the best in your quest for speed!!! BE safe!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.