Notices

Mercury Joystick?

Old 09-13-2020, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mercury Joystick?

I test drove a 31’ Formula with twin big’s and the joystick control. Pretty cool how well it worked, very small inputs I was able to dock like a champ after very little time at the helm. Not really my type of boat though, is there any reason not to put the joystick on a 32 or 34 center console with twins or trips? Not really interested in hearing how I should just learn how to drive it around the dock, I’ve been driving twins forever and just looking for an opinion on CC with joystick.
Old 09-13-2020, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 763 Likes on 412 Posts

I’d do bow thruster over joystick especially in rough water boating for the external tie bar. Buddy has a 34 NT with twin 400’s and bow thruster and I think he prefers it over his old 350 SS Formula with Axius.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

I wish my BT had a bow thruster.... damn thing is like a parachute in the wind when docking
The following users liked this post:
Knot 4 Me (09-13-2020)
Old 09-13-2020, 07:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Joystick

X-rated:
We just completed an installation of the Optimus 360 on our twin outboard unit. Like you, I have been operating twin stern drives forever. I consider myself very skilled in maneuvering with just the "twin sticks". Wow, the joystick maneuvering system just opens up a whole new world of confidence and ability in boat control. It is just fascinating to watch the outboard engines swivel and throttle independently of each other. The joystick system allows the boat to move forward, backward, diagonally, sideways and pivot in response to your hand movements on the control. I am sold on the technology.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Couldnt agree more Barry! Just not sure at what point you need to have tie bars.
Old 09-13-2020, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 763 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by X-rated
Couldnt agree more Barry! Just not sure at what point you need to have tie bars.
That is the million dollar question. It might make more difference in Sterndrive vs OB? Not sure.