Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Renegade vs Others (Statement/Sunsation/Etc) >

Renegade vs Others (Statement/Sunsation/Etc)

Notices

Renegade vs Others (Statement/Sunsation/Etc)

Old 12-04-2020, 06:18 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,164 Likes on 497 Posts

I had triple 275. Verados on my Fountain. Flat out was mid 60’s (real world). Just playing around one day, I tilted the center motor all the way up to see what it would do on two. Bit slow getting on the plane but not terrible, still ran mid 50’s which I thought was pretty good considering she was pushing the extra weight of the center engine and the other two were not set up to run as twins, wrong height, wrong spacing, wrong props etc.

If I’m in a similar market again one day, I won’t be going for the maximum number of engines but rather higher hp from fewer engines.

RR.

P.S. FWIW, I’ve never seen a Renegade but all the pics floating around, they look great and the 9’ beam is a good compromise between ‘narrow’ beam sports boats and ‘wide’ beam CC’s.
The following 2 users liked this post by rak rua:
Apexwarrior (12-05-2020), Perfect Storm (12-04-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't hesitate to throw the Donzi ZF in this mix. The ZF's are a great compromise between the Concepts/Renegades and the NorTechs/Statements. I dont have first hand experience with them but did quite a bit of research before I purchased my Donzi ZF. The narrow beam and weight of the Concepts is what turned me off of them as I wanted a good all around rough water boat for LOTO. Granted I believe the newer renegades have a wider beam, I am just speaking of the older CC's that were in my budget. If I had the money id step up to a Nortech, but the Donzi ZF definitely gives good bang for the buck in my opinion and rides fantastic and is pretty quick. No wood in them either which is a bonus.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 600 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by JKetels
I wouldn't hesitate to throw the Donzi ZF in this mix. The ZF's are a great compromise between the Concepts/Renegades and the NorTechs/Statements. I dont have first hand experience with them but did quite a bit of research before I purchased my Donzi ZF. The narrow beam and weight of the Concepts is what turned me off of them as I wanted a good all around rough water boat for LOTO. Granted I believe the newer renegades have a wider beam, I am just speaking of the older CC's that were in my budget. If I had the money id step up to a Nortech, but the Donzi ZF definitely gives good bang for the buck in my opinion and rides fantastic and is pretty quick. No wood in them either which is a bonus.
They had wood until 08
The following users liked this post:
Nate5.0 (12-04-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

I would also put older Donzi's on this list, and fountain as well. They make some nice CC's. I got a turn key Fountain 32' CC for sale rn, very reasonably priced if you're interested.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:36 AM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts

I’m trying to find the best compromise between speed and comfort for passengers. I also need to consider trailering, which makes me hesitate to look at 10’ beam boats. This is one reason I think Renegade is in the sweet spot. I think the Concept is too narrow and also does not look as nicely set up as the Renegade.

Great winter talk. Next step is to sell the Formula...
Old 12-05-2020, 07:13 AM
Registered

Received 981 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Shallow Minded
Interesting info... I have friend considering center consoles and I keep coming back to Renegade in terms of value. Is it true about Sunsation still using wood?
Call the factory or PM Kyle Sunsation on here. You will get an answer in 2 seconds.

Not sure why the obsession with wood/no wood, how many people are going to own the boat long enough to ever worry about a rotted transom 20+ years from now? How many legendary performance boats were built with wood and run harder than any center console ever would be?

I like Nortech for the best mix of utility. Sunsation has more "bling" and they have great customer service/attention to detail. Concept/Renegade would be the top of the 2nd tier sport boats but if price was a concern, I'd buy a 2-3 year old Nortech before buying a new 2nd tier boat. Take Concept/Renegade out of the S. Florida market and they are less known which regionally could hurt resale.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:00 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Apexwarrior
I think the Concept is too narrow and also does not look as nicely set up as the Renegade.
Concept will make the boat anyway you want it. It's all up to your imagination. The narrow beam doesn't bother me, my previous boat had a 7' beam! You can buy 2 Concepts for what some of the "top tier" boats cost.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dave M:
badmonkey (12-05-2020), ccarloss (12-07-2020)
Old 11-03-2022, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at a Renegade 33. What motors did you have on yours and what was the top speed? tx, JJ