Seven Marine, more to the story >

Seven Marine, more to the story

Notices

Seven Marine, more to the story

Old 12-08-2020, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuckonstupid
True, but for a 300 lb weight savings, mercury 400’s make more sense. Just one a holes opinion.

On a fishing boat.. the 425 makes some where around 25% more torque and has a 5 year warranty over Mercs 3 year.

The only reason I would see anyone not taking the Yamaha on a fishing rig would be the cost difference really IMO.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nate5.0:
Smarty (12-08-2020), WavetoWave (12-09-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 300 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
On a fishing boat.. the 425 makes some where around 25% more torque and has a 5 year warranty over Mercs 3 year.

The only reason I would see anyone not taking the Yamaha on a fishing rig would be the cost difference really IMO.
Depends on the boat. My insurance company would not write a new policy if I installed Yamaha 425’s due the the additional weight and being within a certain percentage of transom capacity.
Old 12-08-2020, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuckonstupid
Depends on the boat. My insurance company would not write a new policy if I installed Yamaha 425’s due the the additional weight and being within a certain percentage of transom capacity.

I can understand that part of it.

I am speaking more in line with I am building a new HCB, Yellowfin, Contender, etc etc and getting power options. In that application aside from cost I just cant see the reason to run a merc there is all and the transom issue isnt one in a scenario like that.

As someone prior in the thread said, they seem like they (Merc and Yamaha) are perfectly two different motors focused on two different applications and each one does that very well.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Great story. Thanks for posting it. I wonder how many engines 7 sold during it's lifespan? Volvo sucks for buying the company just to kill it off!
The following 2 users liked this post by thirdchildhood:
Smarty (12-08-2020), WavetoWave (12-09-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 11:22 PM
Registered

Received 530 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Great story. Thanks for posting it. I wonder how many engines 7 sold during it's lifespan? Volvo sucks for buying the company just to kill it off!
I agree partly. First off, the original founders could of refused to be bought. Unless they needed the capital to carry on. Unaware of the original deal it's been so long.
Also aside from the green BS. I'm sure the numbers don't add up too well as far as sales, good margins and whatnot.
Old 12-15-2020, 01:40 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,988 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Great piece, as usual, Jared. I would gently disagree that Seven Marine "changed the industry" but that's one of those inherently subjective statements that's hard to prove or disprove.
The following 2 users liked this post by Matt Trulio:
thirdchildhood (12-15-2020), WavetoWave (12-16-2020)
Old 12-15-2020, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts
Default "Changed Industry"

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
Great piece, as usual, Jared. I would gently disagree that Seven Marine "changed the industry" but that's one of those inherently subjective statements that's hard to prove or disprove.
You might want to take that conversation up with Elias De La Torre .

Chris
Old 12-15-2020, 02:34 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,988 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueabyss
You might want to take that conversation up with Elias De La Torre .

Chris
Hydra Sports and HCB certainly are important, high-quality brands, but they are two pieces of the industry, not entirety of it. "Changed the marine industry" is a huge statement, and the truth is that Seven Marine barely penetrated the high-performance market. at least to my knowledge, between a few builds with Deep Impact, MTI and Nor-Tech. To be fair, I was told many times by those inside Seven Marine that they never we're going after the high-performance center-console market.

To be fair, that was not their intent—at least that's what I was told in numerous interviews during the years with those inside the company.

Obviously, Seven Marine outboards were an automatic rule-out for anything in the mainstream runabout world from the likes of Sea-Ray, as well as tow boats and, equally obvious, large yachts. So what you ended up with in terms of overall impact was in a pretty small niche of super-heavy center consoles.

As I said, Jared's piece was excellent. But I just don't see how Seven Marine products changed the entire marine industry. That's a stretch.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 12-15-2020 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-15-2020, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 833 Likes on 227 Posts

The big rumor I'm hearing is that Mercury is unveiling a replacement for the 7 Marine engines at the beginning of the new year. It will be radically different from anything Mercury has ever built before........
Old 12-15-2020, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

mercury "was" going to unviel their new 500 at the canceled miami 2021 show. probably will be at the poker run now instead

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.