Notices

Where Did They All Go?

Old 01-03-2021, 07:35 AM
Registered

Received 247 Likes on 123 Posts

Well I didn’t read the whole thread so not sure if this was mentioned but, like in my situation about a month ago I got a bug up my a$$ to sell my boat, so I listed it I got a couple people that are interested in it so I start looking for a boat to replace it it,Well there’s none out there unless you want to buy a center console for big bucks, nothing really worth replacing the current boat with and I think a lot of people are in that same situation so I myself I’m thinking about deleting my ad and enjoying what I got
The following 3 users liked this post by boatnt:
Gimme Fuel (01-05-2021), ICDEDPPL (01-03-2021), Padraig (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
042018491838-rep-1608064121.pdf (1.40 MB, 137 views)

Last edited by benjen; 01-03-2021 at 12:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Padraig (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to use 2 post, my bad. The above is my 39' Sutphen. As I said in an earlier post maybe it's just that nobody wants this combination, but I assure you this boat isn't a basket case nor does it need every nut and bolt replaced. It's a 108mph boat priced in the high $70's. I can't imagine another 100+ boat listed anywhere near this price.
The following 3 users liked this post by benjen:
davidmercury (07-16-2021), dykstra (01-04-2021), ICDEDPPL (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 801 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by benjen
Sorry to use 2 post, my bad. The above is my 39' Sutphen. As I said in an earlier post maybe it's just that nobody wants this combination, but I assure you this boat isn't a basket case nor does it need every nut and bolt replaced. It's a 108mph boat priced in the high $70's. I can't imagine another 100+ boat listed anywhere near this price.
I bet if it had bravos, stock mercs, and 70mph...it would have sold already.

niche boats with exotic power/power train packages don’t sell well.

this isn’t a personal attack...it’s a great boat. I’ve seen it at the Borden light run several times. Buyers want something familiar.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:35 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 824 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Zoom
Chris (Dealmaker) has his Cafe Racer for sale, he just had the interior redone. The boat used to belong to Seaford guy and is listed on F book.
Huh - I didn't know he was selling it already. He's only had it about a year and they seemed to be using it a lot.

Eddie,

I had it for 13 years and am happy to answer any questions on it you might have that Chris can't answer.......

I would buy it back if it was a couple years down the road.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 583 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
Huh - I didn't know he was selling it already. He's only had it about a year and they seemed to be using it a lot.

Eddie,

I had it for 13 years and am happy to answer any questions on it you might have that Chris can't answer.......

I would buy it back if it was a couple years down the road.
Thank you so much. Right now Im not sure what I want. Im going to hit a few rally's and poker runs and see what I like. Right now the Cobalt is perfect for where I live and boat. We also have a full crew with us. Family and friends etc. so the bow rider is more practical. I just want a go fast and hopefully do some traveling with it soon. Im going to wait until I know exactly what I want. What I want and what I think I want seems to change on an almost daily occurrence. My wife says she doesn't care what I do as long as its not a party barge. Also know I would want mufflers on whatever I decide on. I ride a Harley with a 2/1 exhaust and its stupid loud and I love it. I just like a quiet boat when cruising and chilling. Is that an oxymoron? Quiet and go fast...
Old 01-03-2021, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 583 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by benjen
Where is your boat listed? Do you have a link?
Old 01-03-2021, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Powerplay is an outlier, strong resale from a company hasn't built a new boat since 2005. Limited production of a great boat line.

Someone posted a nice Formula 382 that was in need of power, that is a classic powerboat with the curved chrome windshield. Not the fastest hull but a nice ride/nice boat. Sure the spider/lightning bolt graphics look terrible 15 years later but how sharp would it be shot in solid black hullsides/white deck? Timeless but you might spend 100K with new power/paint/interior. Get the hull/trailer for 40K, 100K into it and suddenly you have a 15-16 yr old boat that isn't even made anymore (due to limited demand) and 140K gone out of your checkbook. Lets imagine you use it 10X a year (you live in a 4 season area, not LOTO), would you lay out 140K to use it 10X a year? Time is ticking towards 20 years old, the boat gets tougher to insure/finance which will limit your sales options to cash buyers not traditional marine finance. Suddenly you could find your 20 year old Formula isn't worth 50% of what you have in it.

I think without the production of new models (showing lack of demand) you will find less values in used models. Trying to get 140K for the above Formula looks way more attractive if you figure a new one would cost you 500K+ but if the new ones aren't there to compare then things look bleak. Watch an FPC poker run video, the I/O vee bottoms are usually less than 1/3 of the fleet with CCs/OB Cats making up the bulk of the fleet. I think there are plenty of boats out rotting under the sun, there are a few guys on here parting them out because the parts are worth more than the whole boat. Someone posted a 41 staggered Apache rotting on a lift in SW FL. If you got that boat for free, you still likely couldn't get your money back after a restoration. Someone gave away a 20 Cigarette earlier this year for the same reason....... guy realized it was a financial hole but he didn't want the boat to go to the landfill. As these running boats age, break something major the decline starts. Hurt motor/drive at the end of the season could be "yard art" for the next five years, then the other motor won't fire, leaf spring cracked on the trailer and the transom's soft.
You're so far off. The only way for someone to get into performance boats is to buy an older one. New ones are way out of reach for most people. There was always 85 plus cigs, fountains, bajas, for sale 5 years ago but high demand has them all gone. The demand will stay in my opinion.
The following 3 users liked this post by outlw36:
315duramax (06-27-2021), ICDEDPPL (01-03-2021), Padraig (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 982 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by outlw36
You're so far off. The only way for someone to get into performance boats is to buy an older one. New ones are way out of reach for most people. There was always 85 plus cigs, fountains, bajas, for sale 5 years ago but high demand has them all gone. The demand will stay in my opinion.
While I can see what you are saying, I still disagree. Powerboats have always been expensive, a new twin step TG was 250K 20 years ago.

As far as the loss of OSO inventory, facebook/craigslist are free and they get way more traffic. Griff (OSO mod) even mentioned it in this thread earlier.

Less folks will tackle a project (no space, no time, no skills)
Old boats are harder to get insurance/financing for
Old boats are slower than new twin/triple engine OB options.

Finally if "demand has them all gone" then why does Nortech/Cigarette primarily produce OB CC's? I'd think if demand was strong for I/O performance V's then Sunsation/Formula would still be making them (they both stopped completely). OL seems to be the only one still pumping out I/O performance Vs. Sure others will build one (Fountain/Donzi) but when have you seen a new build lately? Phil at Lipship had built boats on spec for years, I can't remember the last time I saw a new Lipship build for an I/O. Heck even PBC isn't stocking new I/O boats right now and they are the biggest dealer in the country.
Old 01-03-2021, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 4,929 Likes on 1,392 Posts

When Mercury wants $200k per drivetrain before the boat is even built it`s hard to sell new boats to the average guy id imagine. and salt eats everything so your outboards are always going to be more popular in those salty states.
The following users liked this post:
315duramax (06-27-2021)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.