Notices

Where Did They All Go?

Old 01-03-2021, 09:25 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

I have to agree with Dan . There is only one boat I would trade my flat deck for and that is a 41 Apache . I built my my boat from a rigged hull I bought 7 years ago and it is probably not worth what I have in it . But I know what’s in it and I know it is solid ( needs paint ) and I have no desire to own a step hull. I think given the short supply and cost of new hardware I think people are staying invested the equipment they own for same reason Dan and I are . RG.
Old 01-04-2021, 04:56 AM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
While I can see what you are saying, I still disagree. Powerboats have always been expensive, a new twin step TG was 250K 20 years ago.

As far as the loss of OSO inventory, facebook/craigslist are free and they get way more traffic. Griff (OSO mod) even mentioned it in this thread earlier.

Less folks will tackle a project (no space, no time, no skills)
Old boats are harder to get insurance/financing for
Old boats are slower than new twin/triple engine OB options.

Finally if "demand has them all gone" then why does Nortech/Cigarette primarily produce OB CC's? I'd think if demand was strong for I/O performance V's then Sunsation/Formula would still be making them (they both stopped completely). OL seems to be the only one still pumping out I/O performance Vs. Sure others will build one (Fountain/Donzi) but when have you seen a new build lately? Phil at Lipship had built boats on spec for years, I can't remember the last time I saw a new Lipship build for an I/O. Heck even PBC isn't stocking new I/O boats right now and they are the biggest dealer in the country.
again, cc's may be hot along with cat's but that's new buyers with$$$. The average guy needs to buy used which puts them in the 2007 and earlier as that's when sales plummeted do to a slowing economy. When the economy started coming back in 2014 there was a 7 year lull of no v bottoms and a new cc craze but there's still a lot of used v bottom bottom buyers. Used dealers were looking for v bottoms to sell the last few years. Some have actually gone way up in value. I like cat's and cc's but I'll stay with my v bottom.
Old 01-04-2021, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 24 Posts

We have a buddy with a 34 Powerquest with HP500s thats for sale. Well taken care, great stereo, fully enclosed custom cockpit to drive year round, trailer for $50k i believe he said he was asking. Its in Discovery Bay, CA
Old 01-04-2021, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by lake p.a.l.
We have a buddy with a 34 Powerquest with HP500s thats for sale. Well taken care, great stereo, fully enclosed custom cockpit to drive year round, trailer for $50k i believe he said he was asking. Its in Discovery Bay, CA
What year boat?
Old 01-04-2021, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 950 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by outlw36
again, cc's may be hot along with cat's but that's new buyers with$$$. The average guy needs to buy used which puts them in the 2007 and earlier as that's when sales plummeted do to a slowing economy. When the economy started coming back in 2014 there was a 7 year lull of no v bottoms and a new cc craze but there's still a lot of used v bottom bottom buyers. Used dealers were looking for v bottoms to sell the last few years. Some have actually gone way up in value. I like cat's and cc's but I'll stay with my v bottom.

Funny you mention 2014, note this thread I posted in 2014 here on OSO:
Market Analysis Game.......500K to spend

Buyers have 500K to spend on any boat, new or used and you run the boat for 3 years and you have to sell the boat and you get to keep the net proceeds. I don't remember a single person buying a new performance I/O Vee bottom after 180+ posts. My point then and now is: If people won't buy new I/O vee bottoms with a fantasy 500K budget then what are the chances of them doing it with their own money? Slim.

Clean I/O stuff has definitely popped in value in markets like LOTO, the clean stuff with stock Merc power will always pull a premium but I don't think it is the general rule on the whole market. There are plenty of tired Fountains/Sonics/Bajas lingering in the classifieds. Not too much demand for 20+ year old triple 500 Fountains with bravos.
Old 01-04-2021, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 1,421 Likes on 793 Posts

I remember when you posted that and I think the flaw in the logic is thinking giving someone 500K is different than having the ability to spend 500K. What I mean is I would be one to buy older with the free money and fixing up,,, saving the rest for cost of operations. That is not the same as a person that can drop 500K and not worry about cost of operating it or what it will be worth in a couple years.

That buyer simply doesn't care.

As for the OB ver I/O,,,,,,, something is strange in the fact that not a lot of OB V performance boats are being made, other than Velocity that seems to be kicking them out. As for reliability, at the current prices by the time I can afford some of the stuff out there it will also be old. Think i will just keep what I got, I know how to work on I/O's,,,, outboards nope.

Buyers have 500K to spend on any boat, new or used and you run the boat for 3 years and you have to sell the boat and you get to keep the net proceeds. I don't remember a single person buying a new performance I/O Vee bottom after 180+ posts. My point then and now is: If people won't buy new I/O vee bottoms with a fantasy 500K budget then what are the chances of them doing it with their own money? Slim.

Clean I/O stuff has definitely popped in value in markets like LOTO, the clean stuff with stock Merc power will always pull a premium but I don't think it is the general rule on the whole market. There are plenty of tired Fountains/Sonics/Bajas lingering in the classifieds. Not too much demand for 20+ year old triple 500 Fountains with bravos.

Last edited by Wildman_grafix; 01-04-2021 at 10:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
outlw36 (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 747 Likes on 338 Posts

It may not be long before most everything with sterndrives is uninsurable due to age, poor survey or H.P numbers. Than you're looking at used O.B. power.
The following 2 users liked this post by Interceptor:
ancho (01-05-2021), Wildman_grafix (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

500k isn't reality. 200k and under for the average guy maybe!
Old 01-04-2021, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by abones
What year boat?
Pretty sure its a 2000 model year
Old 01-04-2021, 04:23 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick G
I have to agree with Dan . There is only one boat I would trade my flat deck for and that is a 41 Apache . I built my my boat from a rigged hull I bought 7 years ago and it is probably not worth what I have in it . But I know what’s in it and I know it is solid ( needs paint ) and I have no desire to own a step hull. I think given the short supply and cost of new hardware I think people are staying invested the equipment they own for same reason Dan and I are . RG.
why no step? unless you are racing and doing sharp turn, wich i dont think you do, what would be the downfall of a steped hull if you are just crusing waves straight ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.