Notices

Raylar Stage 2 Kit

Old 01-27-2021, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 320 Likes on 170 Posts

Ryan is spot on. If you are going to swap out the heads, you'll need to pull the intake anyway. And at that point, get the intake reworked by Raylar so it's not the weak point anymore.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

+1 On Mirage and Ryan

If you drop the coin on the heads you are only $700 away from having the cam and the rockers. Dunno about you but tearing it all down and NOT doing that seems crazy. At that point you are at 525 HP. With the 525HP Raylar cam its basically a hotter HO cam. The intake on the 525 setup doesnt make a huge flow difference. On the 600, more so but a jillion years ago Ray told me it was like a 25 HP difference and I think (I cant remember) but if you just gut the throttle body intake to 90MM you are pretty close to the fully ported stock intake. BUT, I do know its a bicht getting all the grindings out - because I did it.

I did the CNC heads from Crockett in Michigan, raylar 525 cam, raylar rockers and I ported the intake. I have no idea on HP but it was faster.

FWIW, I wanted to do the HP3 cam but the piston to valve clearance was like .030 and i couldnt force myself to do it. I know its possible but with the springs I had I just didnt think it was possible.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

So no one makes an aftermarket intake manifold for the 496? That says something ...
Old 01-28-2021, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 320 Likes on 170 Posts

At this point the only one actually producing an intake manifold (from scratch) is Whipple as far as I know.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
So no one makes an aftermarket intake manifold for the 496? That says something ...
There's no $$ in it for a company to beat a dead horse. Raylar has the Coolgap. Dart makes an aluminum intake with 4150 flange. This covers the carb guys and retrofits to a Holley EFI conversion. Most will run the ported stock intake which can support pretty good hp numbers if a 90-100mm tb adapter is welded onto the intake. I believe Raylar made 580hp with ported stock intake with the 600HO kit.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
+1 On Mirage and Ryan

If you drop the coin on the heads you are only $700 away from having the cam and the rockers. Dunno about you but tearing it all down and NOT doing that seems crazy. At that point you are at 525 HP. With the 525HP Raylar cam its basically a hotter HO cam.
It's really all about the combination with the 496. Very much why Raylar's packages are designed together. The stock heads suck. Period. You upgrade them and then the stock intake/cam suck. You really need the heads for any real gains.
Take my setup...... It gained some power and runs great. However, I bought the cam, rockers, coolgap for cheap $$. Installed myself. If I would have bought new and paid for install, I would be HIGHLY DISAPPOINTED!!
Old 01-28-2021, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryan00TJ
I don't believe many have gone just the "heads" route. The stock intake then becomes the restriction. Baby stock cam does not take advantage of the new heads. The smaller cc of the Raylar heads will put you around 10-1 scr.

Old post by Raylar when they were dyno testing their new heads in 04' stated......... 496HO with just our heads and a slight fuel pressure increase made 478HP @4800rpm and 536ft/lbs torque at 3500rpm
Post by Ray:
Originally Posted by Raylar
26Sonic:
I will try and make this short and simple. 496HO with just our heads and a slight fuel pressure increase made 478HP @4800rpm and 536ft/lbs torque at 3500rpm. We added the roller rockers upped the fuel pressure a little more and made 504HP@4800rpms and 541 ft/lbs torque @3600rpm. We added our new intake manifold and and a 85mm throttle body and made 531HP@4850 and 576 ft/lbs. of torque @3600rpm. We have changed the cam in the motor to a better profile and we think we will see 550HP on Monday 6-7. We have been down on the dyno for over a week because it broke the strain guage and we had to wait for a new one from Superflow. We have already made over 65 hard dyno pulls, some up to 5500rpm and we have had no problems, wear or breakage in any parts on the motors.
Our production heads are cast and in machining as I write this and the first manifolds should be ready in about two weeks.
Thanks,
Ray @ Raylar
Thanks Keith, Ryan and All, I found the 2004 post about the HP increase (heads and flash would be equivalent to an HP500); and I definitely will do the heads and updated rockers as suggested. It seems as if the it's best to reflash my ECU instead of just bumping my fuel pressure by 6 psi . Also, from looking at the upgrades you made to your 496 HO I deduced that the heads are the way to go. Doing the heads will be a DIY project for me; I really don't want to pull my engine to change the cams, which would mean taking it to a shop.

Last edited by modvp; 01-28-2021 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-28-2021, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Ray was a hothead and often full of crap and that's no doubt why he left the company years ago.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Ray was a hothead and often full of crap and that's no doubt why he left the company years ago.
Since each of us is entitled to our opinion, I honestly and absolutely don't think he was a hot head when it comes to speaking about the development of Raylar's products. He was honest and passionate about the product. It's the reason I am here. Many have had success and I am enquiring. Sorry if you may see it differently.

Last edited by modvp; 01-28-2021 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by modvp
Since each of us is entitled to our opinion, I honestly and absolutely don't think he was a hot head when it comes to speaking about the development of Raylar's products. He was honest and passionate about the product. It's the reason I am here. Many have had success and I am enquiring. Sorry if you may see it differently.
Yeah, I have to agree. The 496 crowed is the lower budget crowd(not implying you guys are) I think he got murdered with questions and people that didnt buy stuff. I mean there are still people that buy similar stuff off Summit like rockers and such. But, I got along with him good. After buying 2 kits and had questions down the road, he routinely asked how the engines ran and sent me stuff like engine decals and other ideas to try stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.