Cockpit cover material ?? Please help >

Cockpit cover material ?? Please help

Notices

Cockpit cover material ?? Please help

Old 01-28-2021, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by lake p.a.l.
Yep, can't stand Kommiefornia anymore. I grew up in the middle of 650 acres in western Pennsylvania and its time to slow down & enjoy life.
Well congrats! LOTO is awesome. Just couldn't do the winters. Hope you keep us updated on whee you settle and all.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 298 Likes on 142 Posts

What is the lightest waterproof material?
Old 01-29-2021, 08:03 AM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

As has already been mentioned Sunbrella is only relatively waterproof when it's new . That waterproof ability doesn't last forever and re-treating with water repellent materials is very hit or miss .
I do like it though , but if I was making a strong and waterproof cover from scratch it would be with stamoid .And it's not that heavy either . .
Old 01-29-2021, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I designed a Sunbrella cockpit cover for my 28 Skater with a single pole in the center. I use it when visiting other lakes than mine and keeps the bugs and rain out. I came up with a way to use large suction cups to secure the cover to the boat without needing to add snaps which I deplore. I also use the cockpit cover when my boat is on the lift in my covered dock when I am too lazy to put on the full cover. It is about 5 years old now with no signs of were or lack of water resistance.
The following users liked this post:
thisistank (01-29-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 797 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by 302Sport
What is the lightest waterproof material?
top gun is super light and extremely waterproof...but has its downsides. See my post above.

there may be others out there. unfortunately there isn’t a one fabric fits all solution.

forgot to mention...the top gun material has a “plastic” artificial feel to it where the sunbrella feels like fabric. Not sure if that matters to people.

Last edited by 1MOSES1; 01-29-2021 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-29-2021, 06:07 PM
Ing
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a Renegade CC. I recently had some covers for my bolsters, console and seats made so I don’t have to use the full length Sunbrella boat cover which can be a pain in the butt on/off while the boat is on our lift. The vender River Custom Canvas in Clayton NY had a good explanation why certain materials are better for certain applications. They used a lighter weight material called HydroFend with Solarflex PTFE thread for the new pieces. This material is really light and good for smaller applications. I asked why not for a complete boat cover and they told me it was too light and air pockets would flap around too much. That’s why the Sunbrella canvas material was better for cockpit and full size boat covers.
Old 01-31-2021, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 210 Likes on 100 Posts

Welcome to LOTO, given your going to have a covered lift in the Ozarks and your planning on FLA in the winter I would certainly be looking at something that breaths. Humidity/sun at LOTO in the summer is one thing under a covered dock but from a comparison to FLA conditions is a real switch. Storage in FLA in the winter months, outside covered or indoors is your variable IMO and would actually be more of a deciding factor in the selection of a cover. My Cig CC (2014) was brought up to LOTO in 2019 has had the entire interior replaced b/c of what year around weather does to boat upolstry in FLA !!!. Boat was stored inside and out under a somewhat heavy and damn durable covered that was water proof and the interior discolored more than normal IMO. Granted the conditions with heat and humidity are differing in the winter months. My boat will be heading to FLA next winter out of LOTO and where I store it will determine the cover I have made this summer. Plenty of good shops at LOTO that can make your cover and have materials that are good options.
Old 02-01-2021, 12:06 PM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

For cockpit cover, I went with Weathermax and very pleased with it. Sunbrella for full.

-----------------------------------------

CHESAPEAKE BAY POWER BOAT ASSOCIATION
'http://www.cbpba.com'

"Experience is something you don't have until just after you need it."
Old 02-01-2021, 01:23 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 400 Likes on 127 Posts

I used Alan at Canvas Connection at LOTO for my cover. It turned out great and the price was right.
Old 02-01-2021, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 4,567 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
Well congrats! LOTO is awesome. Just couldn't do the winters. Hope you keep us updated on whee you settle and all.
There`s a winter in MO ?