Temporary Cradle for Cat on lift >

Temporary Cradle for Cat on lift

Notices

Temporary Cradle for Cat on lift

Old 02-23-2021, 04:41 PM
Registered

Received 435 Likes on 184 Posts
Default Temporary Cradle for Cat on lift

I am planning on taking our 28 Skater from LOTO to Florida next winter and I have been exploring storage options for it. A buddy of mine (6 blocks away) has an empty lift that will lift it, but it is set up for a V. I believe that I would be able to fabricate a "rack" out of wood (to support it in the center like the trailer), or I could add wide bunks for the sponsons to sit on. Has anybody done anything like this? I feel pretty good about my skills to engineer/build something once I determine which way to go. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 1,286 Likes on 474 Posts

Interesting, I have the same need but haven’t had time to think about it enough.
I keep a world cat fishing boat on the lift but would like to put a v hull on it for part of the year.
I’m hoping to come up with something sorta easy to change back and forth.
Also have to keep the bunks as low as possible to still be able to get of the lift at low tide.
Old 02-23-2021, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 803 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by 36Tango
I am planning on taking our 28 Skater from LOTO to Florida next winter and I have been exploring storage options for it. A buddy of mine (6 blocks away) has an empty lift that will lift it, but it is set up for a V. I believe that I would be able to fabricate a "rack" out of wood (to support it in the center like the trailer), or I could add wide bunks for the sponsons to sit on. Has anybody done anything like this? I feel pretty good about my skills to engineer/build something once I determine which way to go. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Having the trailer to reference for dimensions may be key to your project. If it's well built and padded as per the trailer, the boat doesn't have a preference to a trailer or a lift... just get your balance and mounting system right to mount to your friends lift.
I know a railway carriage with a Skater that has the same exact construction/dimension as the trailer with extra clearance added to make it easier getting in the boat from an existing platform - boat always goes on and floats off perfectly but they did add bow stops at the front of the tunnel to ensure the boat is far enough on the lift

Last edited by speicher lane; 02-23-2021 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 67 Posts

I did this setup when I had my F26 DCB. This is on a 10k Sunstream float lift, but would work on any lift. I bolted on an additional set of bunks so there was twice the surface area supporting the sponsons.

The following users liked this post:
36Tango (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 435 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by hoodoo
Interesting, I have the same need but haven’t had time to think about it enough.
I keep a world cat fishing boat on the lift but would like to put a v hull on it for part of the year.
I’m hoping to come up with something sorta easy to change back and forth.
Also have to keep the bunks as low as possible to still be able to get of the lift at low tide.
I keep my Glacier Bay cat behind the house on a lift. Each sponson sits on a pair of 4x8’s. A guy might be able to set up for a V between those, depending on the width of the tunnel of your WC.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:35 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Interesting topic as I will be mod'ing our lift from the 388 to the 32B.... I've been told by a few folks that if Skater's are on a lift or a trailer, that they are to be lifted on the tunnel spray rails......

Old 02-23-2021, 10:53 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 402 Likes on 128 Posts

This seems like a cheap fix.

https://www.offshoreonly.com/classif...le-o79345.html
Old 02-24-2021, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Tango,

I modified my HydoHoist lift from a "V" configuration to fit my 28 Skater. I have a somewhat crude drawing of what I did. PM me and I'll share it with you.