Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I almost thought this was fake. >

I almost thought this was fake.

Notices

I almost thought this was fake.

Old 02-25-2021, 08:08 AM
Registered

Received 1,477 Likes on 824 Posts

The issue with the current crop of vehicles is when they get old and the electronics start failing, chips go obsolete fast and its not like the motor is the only thing they run.

As for the electric thing, its not the motor that is the issue its the storage and recharge. IDK maybe they think that fuel cells will come down, at least that way the refuel/ recharge will be shortened to a reasonable time. Having spent my whole career in engineering, 15 years to get the infrastructure and battery technology in place seems short to me.

If what you say about Porsche works out that will be something, but not sure how you get rid of CO2 when you combust something?

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
They may stop production but the used market will continue. Imagine what the depreciation and value will be, the used market will be nuts? The parts market will be insane! Its gonna be crazy! Diesel trucks might be like planes, maybe they will appreciate!

Ive read two interesting articles over the past week about Porsche and a chemical company as well as a few other companies creating new fuels that can run in existing internal combustion engines with ZERO emissions. I still dont see the true benefit of electricity with the current battery technology and "green" disposal. I just dont see it being cleaner. IMSA has a hydrogen class coming out in 2023, and Formula 1 has discussed it too, so, somebody thinks there will be alternatives. 15-20 years out I wonder if the production of a car will be cheaper for all electric or conventional internal combustion, thats the real driver...
Old 02-25-2021, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

Gas engine staying around for a long long time.
i dont know how recharge stations and their very own infrastucture, power poles, and power lines get built, who's money ?
Don't forget the powerplants to make the electricity. Oh no ! how much coal or natural gas to run those powerplants ?

https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/mo...ng-gas-engines

Last edited by outonsafari; 02-25-2021 at 08:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Wally (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 354 Likes on 178 Posts

I understand watching out for the world we live in and doing what we can to help preserve it, however if someone thinks by stopping emissions it is going to change the earth, they need to think again. Even if the entire US stopped using emission producing engines the rest of the world is still using them. Between China and Russia alone they produce well over 50% of emissions. The earth is always evolving and Mother Nature changes things without our control, Ice ages, heat waves and dinosaurs have come and gone without our input. If humans are arrogant enough to think they are going to change evolution of the earth to suit their needs they are going to be very disappointed.
The following 15 users liked this post by 1Zoom:
87MirageIntruder (02-25-2021), Dave3fl (02-27-2021), DrFeelgood (02-25-2021), Griff (02-25-2021), hoodoo (02-25-2021), IGetWet (02-25-2021), JaayTeee (02-25-2021), RedBoatFl (02-28-2021), SB (02-26-2021), sheperd (02-28-2021), SKammeraad (03-04-2021), stealthfever (03-01-2021), the deep (02-28-2021), tmdog (02-26-2021), Wally (03-02-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 08:28 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 867 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
The issue with the current crop of vehicles is when they get old and the electronics start failing, chips go obsolete fast and its not like the motor is the only thing they run.

As for the electric thing, its not the motor that is the issue its the storage and recharge. IDK maybe they think that fuel cells will come down, at least that way the refuel/ recharge will be shortened to a reasonable time. Having spent my whole career in engineering, 15 years to get the infrastructure and battery technology in place seems short to me.

If what you say about Porsche works out that will be something, but not sure how you get rid of CO2 when you combust something?

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/i...tic-fuels-2022

Tons of articles, but here is one on Porsche fuels.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 329 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
I don't think an electric vehicle will last like the '82 Mustang GT which i have owned since 1984.
OMG I had that same car in college! Same color 82 GT. It had the factory black Recaro interior. I put a roller cammed 4bbl/5 speed/8.8 rear in it and a 6 point cage. Man I miss that car.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 161 Likes on 68 Posts

All this comes down to is how the looney liberals think things will make them all feel better. SMH
Old 02-25-2021, 09:53 AM
BEACH PARTY / HOLLOWPOINT
Platinum Member

Received 1,332 Likes on 746 Posts

Don’t get too caught up in the hype. As is the usual, MSM isn’t giving us the full picture....

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/39016/...t-really-means

*f’ing autocorrect..
Old 02-25-2021, 10:12 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

yeah this whole electric thing in 15 years seems pretty quick. Everyone says that the infrastructure is not there,a and I believe it is true, but how fast and how much will it cost to get there. You have to upgrade EVERYTHING. the power plants, the transmission lines, the stepdown transformers. And once all these electric vehicles come on line how is the govt going to recoup their lost tax dollars from gas taxes?? Is the govt going to subsidize the purchase of electric vehicles still?? How will the repair shops be able to adapt? So many questions. I believe that once GM gets out of gas and diesel vehicles, another company will step in to fill the void.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 1,477 Likes on 824 Posts

That article makes a bit more sense, most companies have been messing with concepts of all types for years. Heck in 2004/5? We did a system in a fuel cell large Chrysler SUV,,, they had two one was functional.

Never made it out either.

Originally Posted by TomZ
Don’t get too caught up in the hype. As is the usual, MSM isn’t giving us the full picture....

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/39016/...t-really-means

*f’ing autocorrect..
Old 02-25-2021, 10:16 AM
BEACH PARTY / HOLLOWPOINT
Platinum Member

Received 1,332 Likes on 746 Posts

That’s the thing. GM is not getting out of it. They’re “aspiring” to producing “zero emissions” light duty vehicles. Your average grocery getter/commuter car may very well be electric, but the heavy duty market, etc looks to not be a part of that direction. At least that’s what was in the article I posted from The Drive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.