Remote control of engine hatch >

Remote control of engine hatch

Notices

Remote control of engine hatch

Old 03-15-2021, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Remote control of engine hatch

What type of remote control system do you suggest for the engine hatch linear actuators? I'm tired of replacing the solenoids every few months. Having it on a switch does not bother me, but if I'm changing system, why not go remote.
I see controls available but the guage of the wire to my motor, is much heavier than remote controllers.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 129 Likes on 68 Posts

It would probably be best to have your remote system trigger relays to activate the motors.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 692 Likes on 276 Posts

Ranxom thought.. truck winches are 2 way. They make remotes fot those... anx why does your system eat selonoids?
Old 03-15-2021, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 516 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
anx why does your system eat selonoids?
What he said. Get that sorted first it seems.
Otherwise this guy in his thread here just put a remote operator on his hatch. Linked to it in post # 38.
502 Mag MPI Gen VI Hot start issue
Old 03-15-2021, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will turn the batteries on and see if it has a drain across the solenoid that gives me the issue. I have not opened one up after failure but its probably burning a spot on the contact. I do like the winch unit that is solid state. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-15-2021, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 581 Likes on 295 Posts

https://shop.atcomp.com/g3-e01 Posted from a member on here. He may chime in shortly.
Old 03-15-2021, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Not remote but works well to lower the current on hatch switches. Switches control this solenoid for up/down

Twin Motor Forward & Reverse Relay – Cole Hersee
Old 03-15-2021, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 1,249 Likes on 604 Posts

I posted this in your other thread you started.

I use a winch remote and snowplow reversing solenoid. Pretty simple setup.
Amazon Amazon
and
Amazon Amazon
or
Amazon Amazon
Old 03-16-2021, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I sell radios to the mobile market that could easily be used for this application. (Mostly dump-bed trailers where I'm controlling hydraulic valves) Radio is instant on/off when a button is pressed and working distance is 300' (with antenna in line of sight) I would expect the working distance to be around 100' with the antenna in the hatch. Radio is about the size of a key fob. Could either control your solenoids (up to 5A) or supply two SPNO contactors. The above Cole-Hersee unit seems like it would be the best option as I don't currently have any lines that carry marine/sealed relays...

Last edited by VortechSS; 03-16-2021 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:34 AM
Registered

Received 70 Likes on 33 Posts

Im the guy who did some research and hooked one up last week int he above thread. I went with this one for a few reasons A) American Made, B) There are a second set of buttons on the receiver. This is important for when I loose the wireless remote and still need to operate the hatch. C) Its well made (designed for dump trucks, outdoor use etc). Metal case and all the electronics are hot dipped/sealed in a rubbery resin to keep dirt and moisture out.

Both the remote and receiver have three buttons (On-Off, Up, Down) so you can fully operate it with the remote or receiver. The receiver automatically shuts off after 1 minute of non use, so no battery drain. To wake it up, hit the On button on the remote or receiver. It also has two extra wires so you can hard mount a separate switch at the helm or ?. Bonus is that the hatch goes up and down way faster now due to the fact that receiver is closer to the lifting ram. I looked at some cheaper $50-70 ones but this thing is built like a tank with no plastic case to break. So spending $150 was a no brainer. 540phil, the wires coming off of the receiver unit are 10 Gauge IIRC....the same gauge as the wires going to the linear actuator on my boat.

https://shop.atcomp.com/g3-e01

Last edited by lear60man; 03-17-2021 at 01:37 AM.