Transom water pickup vs through hull >

Transom water pickup vs through hull

Notices

Transom water pickup vs through hull

Old 05-04-2021, 10:11 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,950 Likes on 980 Posts

One riser being slightly warmer than the other is 100% normal. Both my 502mpi's do it as well.
Old 06-27-2022, 01:57 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
I had a bad gasket/leak between combustion chamber and cooling system. I would compression test it, but it may not show at low RPM either. I think a few drops of water under the oil cap when cold is normal. Engines run hot enough to evaporate it then.
My one engine (ironically the running one) oil came out like a milkshake 2 years ago. I have a video of doing a cooling system test as well, where you can see air going into the cooling system at idle, indicating the leak between the combustion chamber and cooling system... it's a trick I was taught on another forum to trace cooling issues, by replacing sections of the OEM hose with clear hose. You can see the water from the raw water impeller has zero air in it. Then water leaving the block has air in it. Not ideal

I replaced both of my engines 2 winters ago. Gained exactly 0 mph over the engines that both failed compression on multiple cylinders. and one was an intermittent no start for 2 years, the other was milkshaked.

SabrToothSqrl
On your comments about no speed loss with low compression. I recently had one motor with 2 cyl low on compression. Stock comp was 165. I only lost 1/2 to 1 mph when the compression was 75psi on one cyl and 90 psi on the other. Goes to show you that you can run a while on a motor with compression that's a little low. Won't even know the difference. I think Mercury says 100psi minimum. I agree, I would run it above that. If you've been a boater for awhile with BBC, you know it's just a matter of time, before you have to take it apart anyway for some other reason. Hopefully a few years though. Seen motors last thousands of hours, but in most cases, something else gets them besides normal wear. Good luck.
Old 08-28-2024, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
...why? MerCruisers number in the millions and all work fine...

I can only assume the boat worked fine new, and works now?
Do you have an issue you're trying to correct?
If not - leave it alone... go for a run and enjoy it...
For closed-cooled systems Mercruiser requires additional water pickups either through transom or hull. I'm about to install one and have the same dilemma where and how to put additional water pickup. Any hints would be appreciated.
Old 08-28-2024, 08:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 824 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Paraplan
For closed-cooled systems Mercruiser requires additional water pickups either through transom or hull. I'm about to install one and have the same dilemma where and how to put additional water pickup. Any hints would be appreciated.
for what drive application?

I run Bravos with closed cooling on 800HP motors and my temp never moves off 150 - EVER!!

The Bravo pump moves a LOT of water…..
Old 08-28-2024, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
for what drive application?

I run Bravos with closed cooling on 800HP motors and my temp never moves off 150 - EVER!!

The Bravo pump moves a LOT of water…..
Per 8M0085598 Closed Cooling Kit Instruction manual:

Notice
IMPORTANT: Bravo models with closed cooling require a through‑the‑hull or through‑the‑transom pickup in addition to the sterndrive water inlets to meet the minimum flow specifications.
Old 08-28-2024, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Interesting.... my 525s set at 150 all the time and get water only thru the Bravo drives....
Old 08-29-2024, 07:09 AM
Registered

Received 1,445 Likes on 804 Posts

Originally Posted by im MartinB
Interesting.... my 525s set at 150 all the time and get water only thru the Bravo drives....
My HP500EFI's with only a bravo LWP do the same thing, I have changed the thermostat once in 24 years and ran salt water the last 12. Granted open cooling but still, 790Hours.
Old 08-29-2024, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 174 Posts

I run a 800hp whipple supercharged 496 and with a 5" dia heat exchanger, it never gets above 150 degrees at 9lbs of boost. That's also running a 13 plate box oil cooler. All that is cooled via a low water pickup XR drive.
The following users liked this post:
Wildman_grafix (08-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 08:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 824 Likes on 384 Posts

Per 8M0085598 Closed Cooling Kit Instruction manual:

Notice
IMPORTANT: Bravo models with closed cooling require a through‑the‑hull or through‑the‑transom pickup in addition to the sterndrive water inlets to meet the minimum flow specifications.
I’d try it using the standard Bravo pickup before you turn it into a goat screw.

Old 08-29-2024, 11:31 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

since when? Every mercruiser sterndrive I have ever worked, that was close cooled, got its water thru the drive

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.