700SCI Stalling Around Dock >

700SCI Stalling Around Dock

Notices

700SCI Stalling Around Dock

Old 04-21-2021, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 53 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 700SCI Stalling Around Dock

Recently purchased an Outerlimits with 700SCI and SSM6s. Boat has 200 hours and runs great. However, around docks in gear I will randomly have an engine stall. No alarms, just cuts off in gear. I then have to try and get it out of gear to crank and restart, which it does immediately. Anyone else have this issue? It’s tough to start blindly trying to figure this out.
Old 04-22-2021, 05:34 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Pressure check the headers. One tube or more is leaking causing the motor to stall at idle in gear.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,250 Likes on 1,454 Posts

Get a scanner on it and watch the IAC
The following 2 users liked this post by F-2 Speedy:
1MOSES1 (04-22-2021), apex svt (04-23-2021)
Old 04-22-2021, 07:56 AM
Registered

Received 801 Likes on 378 Posts

Ditto IAC.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:10 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,264 Likes on 552 Posts

JZ, did you buy the boat that JW had?
IACs can and do go bad without throwing a code. It's a cheap replacement to try to rule it out. Beyond that, take Kevin's advice and check the headers.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I would swap IAC's. Two bolts and a plug. Takes 5 minutes. Had that issue with my 700's in a past boat.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:12 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

IAC great advice, also the headers could be the start of a problem always good to check them out. I would also look at your fuel system. Have you changed the small fuel filter on the rail and the fuel separator spin on? Injectors flowed, cleaned, and rebuilt? Also these ECMs are getting old and could be getting beat on with an IAC that is trigger happy. Do you have the over current protection Merc kit recommended from their tsb? Run your engine serial #s in the database to check what's been done in that regards. Also a Rinda handheld scan tool is invaluable with these engines, it will help to sharpen your focus on issues. edited Almost forget also check your coils with the scan tool, like the ecm they are getting old

Last edited by VoodooRob; 04-22-2021 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Kevin Schulte
Pressure check the headers. One tube or more is leaking causing the motor to stall at idle in gear.
I’ll certainly check after some other things, however it has brand new (few month old) stainless marine manifolds and risers on it.
Old 04-22-2021, 12:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
JZ, did you buy the boat that JW had?
IACs can and do go bad without throwing a code. It's a cheap replacement to try to rule it out. Beyond that, take Kevin's advice and check the headers.
What’s up Brian.... I bought the all white 39 GTX that was on the eastern shore.
The following users liked this post:
Sydwayz (04-22-2021)
Old 04-22-2021, 12:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by VoodooRob
IAC great advice, also the headers could be the start of a problem always good to check them out. I would also look at your fuel system. Have you changed the small fuel filter on the rail and the fuel separator spin on? Injectors flowed, cleaned, and rebuilt? Also these ECMs are getting old and could be getting beat on with an IAC that is trigger happy. Do you have the over current protection Merc kit recommended from their tsb? Run your engine serial #s in the database to check what's been done in that regards. Also a Rinda handheld scan tool is invaluable with these engines, it will help to sharpen your focus on issues. edited Almost forget also check your coils with the scan tool, like the ecm they are getting old
Rob, I’m gonna pull the IACs and clean them. Previous owner had replaced both last season and it also does have the inline fuses for the IAC. Eddie told me to make sure the IAC had enough travel to be able to save the boat when put in gear, meaning if the throttle blade was too closed and relying to heavily on IAC air to idle in neutral, that it didn’t have the travel to give it all the air it needed in gear.

Also, I was looking at some software for a laptop of a scanner. Is Rinda full function? Which one do you recommend?
The following users liked this post:
SB (04-22-2021)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.