Advice for a first time boat owner

Notices

Advice for a first time boat owner

Old 08-07-2021, 09:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 824 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by carnutsx2
I'm one of those old guys that preaches "save for your retirement " if you have $70 large, congratulations . if your borrowing it i would wade in slowly. Your buying at the top of the market and a $70,000 boat today may be worth only $50,000 in a few years.
and for God's sake be safe , life jackets, no alcohol and education. Messing up your life happens in an instant .

Be safe my friend
70k boat today will be worth 50k in 3-5 years after you sink 50k in it to maintain, rebuild, and improve!!! Haha!
The following users liked this post:
carnutsx2 (08-07-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 02:53 PM
Registered

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

With 3 kids consider how much time you'll have to use your $70k expense, it's not an investment. I had that plus a bunch and bought a $20k boat. Very glad I did as there's ALWAYS something else on the burner and we're without kids.
I'm lucky if I can use it once a month and constantly bummed about the overall cost of ownership compared to available usage.
Old 08-08-2021, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Tommy Kimball is your man for surveying. Kimball marine surveys.

I find it incredibly odd, if not foolish that you’re limiting yourself to boating at Gaston. Good God man at least consider the intercoastal waterway! And you’re doing yourself a disservice if you ignore the beautiful Chesapeake Bay and tributaries. I’m on boat 12 over half a century enjoying that experience. Never an issue with the salt. It’s all in the maintenance.

Last edited by Macklin; 08-08-2021 at 09:13 AM.
Old 08-09-2021, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Did anybody mention a boater safety course yet? Sounds like this would be appropriate for a first time owner, too. We get plenty of idiots hauling a$$ on Doctor's Inlet here in the Jax, FL area in high power boats and it gets sketchy on nice days when everyone is out.
Old 01-28-2024, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,

I am back and alive but a lot has changed… my wife and I now have a young one that we brought into this world and it has been one hell of a ride so far. Also we have no moved to the Lexington Park MD area and basically there is nothing here but to be on the water. I just wanted to thank you all for the previous knowledge you gave me. But the wife actually sparked up the old idea of getting a boat.. So with that said is anyone local or near Lexington Park MD that boats often and I guess get a feel for if the boating on the big ocean is something we can do as a family and actually enjoy or maybe this idea gets pushed back again until we move somewhere with a lake closer by 😂