Notices

Performance Cruisers

Old 11-27-2003, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was a formula fan my whole life went from a 90 272 to a 98 353 fastech to a 02 370ss to a 01 382 fastech to an 03 35 cig. I was in a similar situation. two girls born 97 and 00. We wanted more room and amenities. Formula in my opinion is like a bmw or mercedes, first class. There was no fun factor at all in the 370 ss and the gas when you are going 50-55 is terrible. Everyone else is having fun but the driver, plus if you still party with your offshore friends everyone will be on your boat, getting trashed. I had the 370 ss six months great boat but no fun factor, it was like driving a hummer. My .02 is what I did, talk the wife back into an offshore and rent a room. We do a couple of trips a year to cedar point and put n bay and now get a room.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:15 AM
Registered

GLH, no the 48 I posted is not from yachtworld. It's a friend of mine's who ordered a new Sunseeker and is anxious to sell. It's located in the South of France and has been pampered by the Sunseeker dealer there. I have it in my listings now, not exclusive though. Although the 199 000 boat you posted is a very good deal, diesel versions are much more appreciated in Europe. They cost about 25% more. Which is another reason why someone from the US may be able to strike a killer deal on a gasoline model if he looks in Europe. I've seen a 1998 with triple 502s go for little over $160K. And it was in perfect shape which means that at 48', triple 502s and the luxury that comes standard, you are getting an awful lot for your money. What can you buy new for that money? A 35' Executioner? As for your experiences, if it was more of an "offshore powerboat", it could have been a 43' Thunderhawk. Very popular boat in the Med which can be picked up for well under 100K for say a 1992 with rebuilt 454s or 502s. If it was more of a widebody cruiser, it could have been a 40' Travado or maybe a very early 46' Camargue. Now that Camargue 46' is a fantastic deal. Lines are still very nice and will still look nice in 10 years, a very graceful boat. It's over 14' wide, has two full double cabins, 2 heads/showers, salon... With twin 550hp GMs it will cost a tad over 100K. The other definite advantage of this is the fact that you can forget about depreciation. If you're good with your hands, take care of the boat, fix a few things, change carpets and that sort of stuff which costs nothing but makes a good impression, you will be able to enjoy the boat for 2 or 3 seasons, sell it and at least break even, if not make some money. Buying new is good for people who want the absolute safety of a warrantied new product. But for people who know about boats and who can safely separate lemons from good deals, there is no point in taking the frightening initial depreciation on the chin. Just for fun, here are some photos of the 55' I am looking into and which I tested today. Nearly 43 mph. Not bad for a 44 000lb boat with twin 760hp MTUs.
Attached Thumbnails Performance Cruisers-camargue-55-09.jpg  
Old 11-27-2003, 09:28 AM
Registered

Smoke This, I hear you. There are few exceptions but usually more weight=less fun. An S Class will never be as much fun to drive as a Lotus Elise... It all depends what your definition of boating is. I like to hang out with friends, have barbecues and parties on board and stay for weekends in remote places, while having a reasonable turn of speed. This is why I am looking into this kind of "offshore cruiser" type of boat. If your definition of boating is having a blast at 100 mph, enjoying tremendous acceleration and sharp handling before packing it up at the end of the day, forget this type of boat. You're a pure "offshore powerboat" guy. Here's another shot of the 55'. That cockpit is just perfect around 5pm, sort of happy-hour time...
Attached Thumbnails Performance Cruisers-camargue-55-02.jpg  
Old 11-27-2003, 10:51 AM
Registered

I HAVE A 1995 FOUNTAIN 47SC WITH ALL THAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR. TRIPLE 502 WITH GEN/AC FULL HEAD,STOVE AND 6'1 HEAD ROOM. MIGHT CONSIDER SELLING FOR THE RIGHT PRICE
Old 11-27-2003, 11:09 AM
Registered

Formula 40SS or 37 are awesome boats. I wonder if Formula is putting 525 EFI's in them yet. With 500's it was in the low 60's and I would guess mid to upper 60's with 525's. That's what I would like next...
Old 11-28-2003, 12:31 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Super Tremoli,
You're not a member so either get a membership so I can PM you or post your coordinates.
You can Email me at [email protected] (take the "vt" out of my name, I do this to avoid spams).
Old 11-28-2003, 01:02 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ST Familiar? No MTU's however.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=42466&url=
Old 11-28-2003, 05:18 AM
Registered

yes, very familiar. it must be a mistake concerning engines. as MTU and DD are associated now on marine engines, confusion is possible. and yes, i think i should get a membership. i tried OSO, i liked it, time to support it... i'll contact you though.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:24 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

This one has the image you posted, listed for around 250k, That
is a LOT of boat for the money.
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...26&slim=quick&

http://www.aboard.co.uk/boatfile/B00...iginal&units=m

Mind you a 48' Listed at $199k That you could get for around $170k when you show up with cash seems an outrageous amount of boat for the money, plus I agree with you regarding depreciation at that point in those boats life, the huge chunk is already taken out (From above $500k new). Doesn't this picture make it look like a hell of a lot more than a 170k set up. (Of course your stuck with gas engines for a #19600 boat) but looks like you can go 50MPH with a house on the water. No need for condo in Florida anymore!
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...26&slim=quick&
Attached Thumbnails Performance Cruisers-48-suns.jpg  

Last edited by GLH; 11-28-2003 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:30 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ST,
Question if the VAT is in the price if you export it out of the particular country is this something you can recover or at least bypass on the sale if it is shipped to either the US or Canada?

Last edited by GLH; 11-28-2003 at 08:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Performance Cruisers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.