Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
37 foot Outboard Cat from Outerlimits >

37 foot Outboard Cat from Outerlimits

Notices

37 foot Outboard Cat from Outerlimits

Old 08-07-2021, 06:28 AM
Registered

Received 408 Likes on 226 Posts

The only thing I am not hip to is how court down the front sponsons are of some on the outboard cats out there. Watching the haulover vids it looks like the are going to stuff. I get it’s probably needed to reduce weight and increase line of sight. Just not sure how that would work on big water on Lake Erie. Just my 2cents
Old 08-07-2021, 06:59 AM
Registered

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Bonz
The only thing I am not hip to is how court down the front sponsons are of some on the outboard cats out there. Watching the haulover vids it looks like the are going to stuff. I get it’s probably needed to reduce weight and increase line of sight. Just not sure how that would work on big water on Lake Erie. Just my 2cents

and here we go with the big water conversation....... lol JK
Old 08-07-2021, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 479 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Bonz
Jack - that's why you just go 46 Skater for the Lakes.
The following users liked this post:
J-Bonz (08-09-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 09:17 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,988 Likes on 1,357 Posts

For anyone interested in a bit more information, https://www.speedonthewater.com/grea...-hits-125-mph/.
Old 08-07-2021, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The article states "Why would you order an outboard cat that needs a tilt trailer?" In what world are you guys living in that DOT isn't stopping trailers with objects on them 10'1" wide? Thousands of dollars for the permits to tow these things and only being allowed to tow between dusk and dawn. It doesn't seem like boating with them at this width would be still be fun. Maybe those who buy them just pay someone else to tow them around? Please educate me.
Old 08-07-2021, 11:35 AM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 809 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by TopSpin80
The article states "Why would you order an outboard cat that needs a tilt trailer?" In what world are you guys living in that DOT isn't stopping trailers with objects on them 10'1" wide? Thousands of dollars for the permits to tow these things and only being allowed to tow between dusk and dawn. It doesn't seem like boating with them at this width would be still be fun. Maybe those who buy them just pay someone else to tow them around? Please educate me.
I hauled a 10-6 Skater all over N America for almost 4 years. Flat trailer. F-350/F650/F250 trucks for every trip. NOT ONCE did I get stopped for width. It was always a reasonable concern, but not worth stressing hard.

Now I have a 10' MTI. Also flat trailer. GMC AT 1500 as the tow vehicle. Trailer only needs two axles so it seems small, even though it obviously is not. Zero issues.

I will have a new boat in 2022, and it will likely ne 10-6 or more in width. It will also likely start out on a flat trailer. I do want to add a tilt eventually, but pennies and build times will keep that out a bit for timeframe.
Old 08-07-2021, 12:28 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 880 Likes on 329 Posts

There's room for both I/Os and outboards, if you don't like one then get the other. Personally if I were in the market for this type of boat I'd not even consider I/Os.
The following 3 users liked this post by Indy:
bulletbob (08-10-2021), Nate5.0 (08-07-2021), rak rua (08-09-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It’s a great looking ob cat.
Old 08-09-2021, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
I will politely disagree gentlemen. As someone that has owned similar-sized 700/6 and 450 cats, I can actually comment with some perspective.

1) My 450 cat would KILL my 700 Skater from 0-100. And runs 131, the Skater ran 135. So, I am fairly confident we would have to run a significant distance for the 700 boat to sniff my rooster in the MTI.
2) The OB boat would also turn inside any turn the Skater could do.
3) We ran nearly 100 hrs(98) in the MTI in just less than a year. We ran 92 in the Skater in 3 yrs. 2 oil changes/services in the 450s. Zero problems. The 700s were nearly as good, only one fuel pump and one power steering pump. The problem with that was both problems happened in the MIDDLE of the the KW Poker run and left the boat stranded for at least one day each time. Plus the oil/drive services were adding up and the time we spent out of warranty was at least mildly stressful. No worries in the 450 boat. EIGHT yr warranty if I prefer.
4) If you do break a lower or shaft, and the MERCURY prop falls off, it's covered. So the expense is still zero to the 450 owner.

I have more if you need it.

And that OL has absolutely great lines. It should be a great seller. I am sure more than a few of those OL I/O guys are already in line.
This, I am also in a 37 cat with 450's this year and got out of a 700 cat last year that we had for 3 years. It just makes boating so much more effortless with outboards. Already at 50 hours in our 450 boat and only had it 2.5 months and still have a couple big trips still left to go. I'm not sure exactly how we rack up the hours so much more than the I/O boats. I think the most I put on the 700 boat was 45 in a season. I think it was 115 hours in the 3 years we owned it. I'm sure we will far surpass that in our first year with the outboards.

But yes I do miss the sound, for the first hour.
The following 3 users liked this post by McKay:
Cash Bar (08-09-2021), noli (08-09-2021), TVMNick (08-10-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 10:25 AM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 809 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by McKay
This, I am also in a 37 cat with 450's this year and got out of a 700 cat last year that we had for 3 years. It just makes boating so much more effortless with outboards. Already at 50 hours in our 450 boat and only had it 2.5 months and still have a couple big trips still left to go. I'm not sure exactly how we rack up the hours so much more than the I/O boats. I think the most I put on the 700 boat was 45 in a season. I think it was 115 hours in the 3 years we owned it. I'm sure we will far surpass that in our first year with the outboards.

But yes I do miss the sound, for the first hour.
What boat do you have now?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.