Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Launch / Holeshot what is safe for your drives? >

Launch / Holeshot what is safe for your drives?

Notices

Launch / Holeshot what is safe for your drives?

Old 08-16-2021, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

How you handle the sticks/throttle is dependent on weight of boat and power.

I had 20’ Mariah 350cid that was used to ski behind. Stuffed throttles every time to get skier up. No issues with alpha drive because setup stock from factory.

Then a 1989, 272Formula twin 7.4, 330 hp, formula hole-shot was a waste of fuel and hard on everything. So I was easy on sticks since it seemed like a waste of time to even try a hole-shot.
upgraded to 540-650hp per side and snapped a couple Bravo 1 drives like they were tinker toys. Upgraded to XR’s and eased up on the sticks till up and running 84GPS. But off sticks when skipping off tops of waves and RPM’s would fluctuate/props catching air.

Then a 1993 419 Formula Trip 540 dyno’d 656hp. Set sticks to 2500 RPM for “hole-shot” and trim tabs to get on plane. All 3 motors will eventually go to 2800-3000 (depending on fuel load) RPM WITHOUT touching a thing except trim tabs. So just to get on plane they gain 3-500 RPM. YES, props slip, but still load up on initial throttle movement.
The following users liked this post:
540Fever (08-17-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you driving a Corvette, a Hell Cat or a motor home?
Your Fountain is more like a sports car on the water. You probably could slam sticks forward like a hole-shot Hell Cat.
but why?
drive it like it was designed to be driven.
from my experience, a 27Fever is not a ski boat. So what is purpose of a hole shot anyway. Easy on sticks till on plane, then hammer down.

Someone stated “why have a supermodel sitting on the boat just to look good?” Just Hammer it.
If you are always hammering the Corvette, in 5 years it will look hammered.
If you’re always hammering the supermodel, she will go somewhere else and you will be left with the trailer trash because your sh1t’s always broke.

don’t get me wrong. I LOVE hammering and breaking things. It can be fun. But it comes with a price.
lol