Notices

Lake Cumberland

Old 09-14-2021, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

We were staying on a buddy's houseboat on 200 row. The cc is named Painter Deep.

We boat on Lake Barkley and Kentucky Lake. Try to make it to Cumberland for PR's cause we used to have a lot of friends that went, but as Mr Lipps said (Robert we saw your boat on the lake a few times, but we couldn't catch up!) - the event is too spread out now. We only saw about 10-12 people from the circuit - and that was at Lee's Ford for the pizza run.

The highlight of the weekend was seeing the original ALL IN! running the lake (now named Money Drain). I hadn't seen the boat since it left my storage building a year ago, and had never seen it run the lake at speed. ...miss it a little. lol

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
ALL_IN,

Pretty sure we were docked behind you at StateDock, behind the first finger of slips past the pumps, tied up to the walkway. We were in a 28' PowerQuest, tied up right behind you, and had a red 236 Rinker stack tied beside us. I remember seeing the B&W DI. Nice boat.

Thanks. Brad.
Model Machine and Precision LLC
(937(545-8991
Old 09-14-2021, 01:51 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,354 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by ALL_IN!
We were staying on a buddy's houseboat on 200 row. The cc is named Painter Deep.

We boat on Lake Barkley and Kentucky Lake. Try to make it to Cumberland for PR's cause we used to have a lot of friends that went, but as Mr Lipps said (Robert we saw your boat on the lake a few times, but we couldn't catch up!) - the event is too spread out now. We only saw about 10-12 people from the circuit - and that was at Lee's Ford for the pizza run.

The highlight of the weekend was seeing the original ALL IN! running the lake (now named Money Drain). I hadn't seen the boat since it left my storage building a year ago, and had never seen it run the lake at speed. ...miss it a little. lol
ALL_IN,

That's where we bought the PQ from. We went down for a sea trial, cash in hand, and ended up towing it home.

No offense to your home lake, but, if I never put a boat on Kentucky lake again, I'm OK with that. I had a hard enough time when we rented a Southwind in Ft. Myers, staying between the markers. I don't want to have to deal with that on fresh water. That sucked.....

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
Old 09-14-2021, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Yup.

Bill Jasper was the man responsible for getting the PokerRun started on Cumberland. He was actually my dad's next door neighbor at the time. He and his group bought the StateDock when it was a raging Indian $h1tpile and turned it into the premier marina on the lake, and put in the footwork to organize the first PokerRun and several subsequent years before selling the marina and moving to Florida. I spoke with him at length about the changes after the first year, and I told him this would be the case. The drivers' incentive to make the run would decline until the event disappeared. I'd say it's only a matter of time before the party isn't enough to garner the attention it needs to make this event viable and it will end. I wonder if the current administrators will recognize what's wrong before this happens.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991

Bill Jasper "bought the rights to the poker run" from Roger schanabel (sp) - Billy Bussel and maybe a few others. They had the poker run several years before Bill and State Dock bought it

Mark
The following users liked this post:
tmmii (09-14-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 379 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by ALL_IN!

Terry we miss seeing you guys in that hot rod. Do you guys have any regrets about going the comfort route? Cannot deny that I've had those thoughts myself - just know that once I do It'll be forever - no going back.
Old 09-14-2021, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
Terry we miss seeing you guys in that hot rod. Do you guys have any regrets about going the comfort route? Cannot deny that I've had those thoughts myself - just know that once I do It'll be forever - no going back.

If you still have the set up as when Samantha and I were there to buy the Fountain why would you ever want to move into a comfort cruiser? You had the best of every world then, one I have been working to achieve for the past few years. Once you are bitten by the Go Fast rumble bug,,,,,,,,,,,,,, You be stuck for life.

Ask John Force!
Old 09-14-2021, 05:09 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by GETTINBYE
Bill Jasper "bought the rights to the poker run" from Roger schanabel (sp) - Billy Bussel and maybe a few others. They had the poker run several years before Bill and State Dock bought it

Mark
Mark,

But, as I understand it, the PR was a hot mess for the first couple years and Bill provided a decent venue to run it from as well as some real funding to make it really thrive.

I’ll admit, my knowledge is second hand from my dad.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991

Last edited by Brad Christy; 09-14-2021 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-14-2021, 05:17 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
If you still have the set up as when Samantha and I were there to buy the Fountain why would you ever want to move into a comfort cruiser? You had the best of every world then, one I have been working to achieve for the past few years. Once you are bitten by the Go Fast rumble bug,,,,,,,,,,,,,, You be stuck for life.

Ask John Force!
Edge,

Yup. I grew up on a 21’ Nordic day cruiser with a blown 482 V-drive that my dad built from the hull up. In 1990, he sold it and bought a 27’ SeaRay with a very quiet 454. It didn’t take him long to start thinking about repowering it. At one point, he thought he was in a corner on the issue, thinking he’s smoked the engine. Hilltop Marine had a brand new Mercury 850 blower motor and matching drive on a skid that came out of a boat that the owner ordered knowing they were going to yank it out and put some kind of monster in. In the end, the cost was more than dad wanted to muster, and he had the stock engine freshened up for way less and just lived with the quiet. he always misses the speed and snarl of that Nordic.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
Old 09-14-2021, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 199 Likes on 112 Posts

Mark,

But, as I understand it, the PR was a hot mess for the first couple years and Bill provided a decent venue to run it from as well as some real funding to make it really thrive.

I’ll admit, my knowledge is second hand from my dad.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
It was actually based out of Jamestown and mid American boating put it on. It moved to state dock in 2004 after a lot of noise complaints by slip holders. If my memory is correct jasper bought it in spring of 2006. It wasn’t a hot mess by any means.

I don’t know the original start year but I have a koozie I inherited somewhere along the way from poker run 99.
The following users liked this post:
BIGSLOW (09-15-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 5,040 Likes on 1,422 Posts

ICDEDPPL,

It was a sobriety check. Almost guaranteed. Again, this is why I don't drink ANYTHING with alcohol on this weekend. They will also sometimes check for CG safety equipment. I've never been approached on any other weekend.
So I wonder what happens when they get you BUI, arrest and they take your boat in or how does that work? Not drinking anything is hard . Pretty sure there weren`t many people sober that day . I was having some stomach issues (probably hung over) and couldn`t keep anything down so I guess that was lucky for me.

Also I was on 500 dock, that`s a 10 minute walk to the bathrooms, electric scooter came in real handy!!

Last edited by ICDEDPPL; 09-14-2021 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-14-2021, 05:29 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Edge,

Yup. I grew up on a 21’ Nordic day cruiser with a blown 482 V-drive that my dad built from the hull up. In 1990, he sold it and bought a 27’ SeaRay with a very quiet 454. It didn’t take him long to start thinking about repowering it. At one point, he thought he was in a corner on the issue, thinking he’s smoked the engine. Hilltop Marine had a brand new Mercury 850 blower motor and matching drive on a skid that came out of a boat that the owner ordered knowing they were going to yank it out and put some kind of monster in. In the end, the cost was more than dad wanted to muster, and he had the stock engine freshened up for way less and just lived with the quiet. he always misses the speed and snarl of that Nordic.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991

Daddy did it? What did you didit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.